You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Golf and stuff

Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,473
edited May 2023 in Poker Chat
Hello

Dyms are the future*

I’ve come to the conclusion that i’m toss at mtts and so i’m concentrating 99% of my volume on Dyms again

It’d be good if any dym players out there want to add to the thread.
Maybe you’ve won 10 on the bounce or had your best ever month or you’ve played a hand really well.
Post it here

It’d also be good if people put hands up for us to take a look at.
There are some good players out there who may be able to help and offer advice

I’d be happy to give my thoughts too.

I had my first consecutive losing months on Sky in June and July and so decided it was time to stop adding the value to the mtt prize pools and play lots of Dyms again. I say lots, i’m at just over 2k points for this month, my volume is still really poor at a game where rakeback is important, but it’s gone ok so far this Month
I deposited £200 and i’m up to £764 now
which given my volume is decent enough.

This thread will mainly be about the thrills and spills of ten quid average stake dyms
I’m not sure that dyms have ever been described as thrilling before 😉

They’ve certainly changed since i began on Sky. Turbos have taken away a lot of the players and in all honestly the regular games are at their weakest ever

There are still a few very good players playing though and it’s always fun playing against Mayhem, Pingu and Mushy etc

It’s hard to get many games running above £11 now and so with variance in mind i hardly play above that.

Who do you think are the best players you’ve played in Dyms?

My own Top 3 would be

Dialbi4 - by far the best player at dyms i’ve come across on Sky

GJKKFLL - He hated folding and was a very strong player. I’m glad he plays mtts now 😊

JonnyRkd - His results should be better in my opinion. I find him very difficult to play against.

I’ll post some thoughts on my Dym strategy over next couple of days
It’s very different to any of the guides to double or nothing games that are out there
For example, i think aggression is very important and being tight is the worst way to play them

*Probably not the future. I think their lifespan is very limited on Sky. Whatever happens i think they’ll go.

thrilling update from last night
I played for about an hour. Won £12 but a bit frustrated as i lost the last two games on the bubble in a £22 and a £11. One win there would have given me a decent return for an hours work

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,129

Morning Paul, & good to see you here.

"Turbos have taken away a lot of the players and in all honestly the regular games are at their weakest ever"

"weakest" in terms of volume, or ability of the (average) opposition? Presumably the latter, being as....

"I deposited £200 and i’m up to £764 now"

I spent a brief period donating to the NLH DYM regulars, & always enjoyed playing against the likes of Mushy & Mayhem, both seemed to me to be good guys too.

Not sure I could list a "top 3" but I think it's include Timmy.

I've got itchy fingers, & am quite tempted to start playing again. Would prefer PLO8 or PLO, obv, but liquidity is so very thin, & I'd likely get eaten alive at NLH.
  • Options
    Just in case there’s any doubt about the format.
    I mean proper dyms and not that silly 4 card game that old people play
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,129

"thrilling update from last night"

No love for last night's football results?

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Another new Jac35 diary?

gg forum.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701
    1. Tell a load of recs the games are soft
    2. Tell them what strategy to employ
    3. Exploit said strategy 😄

Seriously though, I like seeing people trying to gee-up the games that are struggling. Good luck with this. I’ll contribute if I think I can. Might fire up the odd game too.

You’ll always be in my top 3 Jac x.

• Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    edited August 2019
    Good to see you back posting again.

All the best with the dyms, I'm sure you'll crush them as usual, in fact you already are. How much are you aiming to make per month? Any other targets, like priority etc?
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

"thrilling update from last night"

No love for last night's football results?

Derby played about as well last night as i do in mtts.
  • Options

Another new Jac35 diary?

gg forum.

TROLL
  • Options
    bbMike said:

1. Tell a load of recs the games are soft
    2. Tell them what strategy to employ
    3. Exploit said strategy 😄

Seriously though, I like seeing people trying to gee-up the games that are struggling. Good luck with this. I’ll contribute if I think I can. Might fire up the odd game too.

You’ll always be in my top 3 Jac x.

I never saw you as a cynic, Mike 😊

Seriously though. That’s obviously not the case.

I’m not great but i’ve picked up a thing or two over the years and it would be great if i could in some way help any players
  • Options
    waller02 said:

Good to see you back posting again.

All the best with the dyms, I'm sure you'll crush them as usual, in fact you already are. How much are you aiming to make per month? Any other targets, like priority etc?

Thanks Ryan

Firstly, congrats on your recent successes. I’ve been following your thread. I’m sure with your game you’ll be moving up the stakes soon

I always hope to make £600 a month including rakeback and anything over that is a bonus.
    I’m short of that target for the year though. I just don’t have the time or sometimes then inclination to play as much as i should these days. Terrible work ethic.
    The above kind of answers your other question too. Priority is unlikely these days for me. I used to get there when i was playing £22s up to £55s on a nightly basis but they just don’t run enough now at the regular dyms
  • Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    edited August 2019
    Nice to see a thread for my fav wee games

Well done on getting from £200 to £764 jac. Had an awful week last week myself, my worst ever in poker 😢

Dym's are fantastic fun and a great way to build a bankroll. Would be great if there was more traffic in the games here though. Not enough games at £11 or higher to reg in them.

Do you only play the slower games jac? I prefer the non turbos even though theoretically i would win more money playing turbos due to higher volume . I am a bad loser and get too frustrated playing the shorter games.
  • Options
    gregkdy82 said:

Well done on getting from £200 to £764 jac. Had an awful week last week myself, my worst ever in poker 😢

Dym's are fantastic fun and a great way to build a bankroll. Would be great if there was more traffic in the games here though. Not enough games at £11 or higher to reg in them.

Do you only play the slower games jac? I prefer the non turbos even though theoretically i would win more money playing turbos due to higher volume . I am a bad loser and get too frustrated playing the shorter games.

Still on the first page and we've already had a massive bluff not get through.
  • Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    edited August 2019

gregkdy82 said:

Aye lurking about on a forum making snide wee comments in every thread is actually much more fun eh?
  • Options
    gregkdy82 said:

When i say win more what i meant was

gregkdy82 said:

Aye lurking about on a forum making snide wee comments in every thread is actually much more fun eh?
    Absolutely.

Though my comment was in reference to the bit I bolded (the fun comment) and firmly tongue in cheek.

Obv gone over your head :)
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    gregkdy82 said:

gregkdy82 said:

Hi Greg

Good to have you post on here. Your results have been really good since starting on sky
    Yeah, i play the regular games. I may throw in the odd really low stake turbo from time to time at the beginning of a session but generally, no

By the way
    I think you misunderstood Hhys post a little
    He wasn’t having a dig at you. He was joking about Dyms being fun.
    He’s obviously a bit of a knob but he’s also a friend. I have the err,fortune, to spend time with him and a few others on trips away from time to time.
    He’s actually a quite decent bloke (not sure if that bluff will get through) 😉
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,145
    Jac35 said:

gregkdy82 said:

gregkdy82 said:

Hi Greg

Good to have you post on here. Your results have been really good since starting on sky
    Yeah, i play the regular games. I may throw in the odd really low stake turbo from time to time at the beginning of a session but generally, no

By the way
    I think you misunderstood Hhys post a little
    He wasn’t having a dig at you. He was joking about Dyms being fun.
    He’s obviously a bit of a knob but he’s also a friend. I have the err,fortune, to spend time with him and a few others on trips away from time to time.
    He’s actually a quite decent bloke (not sure if that bluff will get through) 😉

snap call
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Just cant see big DYMs running. Cant see enough recs wanting to play them and the rake is too high for regs to battle playing them.
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    Jac35 said:

Turbos have taken away a lot of the players and in all honestly the regular games are at their weakest ever

Shhhhhhh.... I'm enjoying the lack of red, orange and yellow tags on my DYM tables. ;)
    Jac35 said:

Who do you think are the best players you’ve played in Dyms?

1) Dialbi4
    2) Patwalshh

One I'm delighted I'll never have to play again on here, one I wish I was still able to play against.

I could deal with playing against one of them, but if they were both playing I'd just ditch the DYM grind and do something else with my evening more often than not.

3) I'd probs say TimmyRaRa purely on volume etc.

There's really not a stand out 3rd place pick for me, from a bunch of a dozen or so regs I can think of that are good players but nobody that I'd go out of my way to avoid playing with or anything like that (basically all 'yellow'/'decent reg' tags for me), whereas the first two IMO are a class above.
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    MattBates said:

Just cant see big DYMs running. Cant see enough recs wanting to play them and the rake is too high for regs to battle playing them.

I've long been an advocate of dropping rake at £33+ to encourage more reg on reg action, and make people more willing to reg those games rather than game selecting. Recs will almost always prefer to join a game that has 4/6 registered over one that has 0/6 registered, and if a small rake drop helps encourage that, then I think it'll pay for itself with increased liquidity.

When normal DYMs ran more regularly, I would barely touch £33+ because there just wasn't any point - I would've been break even, maybe +1% ROI in those games at 10% rake. Even someone like @TommyD , @Nutter5932 or @dialbi4 would've struggled to win in those games. I felt I was better than many of the regs in those games, but it made more sense to play £11s with a bigger edge, smaller swings, and a similar £££/game.

There were some very well-known 'fun players' who used to frequent these £33+ games, one of whom was down close to £100k last I looked (before Sharkscope switched to opt-in). Those names are no longer around, and the games dried up thereafter because 10% rake just doesn't work without those players.

10% rake just isn't going to be beatable in 2019 with 5 regs and a rec, and there's not going to be enough recs punting £33+ DYMs in 2019 to get a better game than that on a regular basis. Hence, games don't run at 10% rake.

5% with some regs who think they have an edge over each other, and probs 1 rec per game fancying a punt at £31.50 or £52.50? I think that would run more than enough to compensate for a 50% rake drop.

But as a rake reduction hasn't happened for several years, I doubt Sky are going to change their stance now, especially with Stars uncertainty and more reason to think short term than ever.
  • Options
    MattBates said:

I tend to agree. But for different reasons
    They used to run all night long each and every night

You would see a lot of recs playing them towards the end of the night. My best guess was that was after they’d bricked everything and they saw it as a decent chance to get their money back on the night.

I think Spin ups and Turbo Dyms would be their choice now in the that situation.

For many regs , Dyms aren’t a game they win at but serous volume can make them profitable through rakeback. Again Turbos are more attractive to these players