You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Golf and stuff

Comments

• Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,473
    EvilPingu said:

Jac35 said:

Turbos have taken away a lot of the players and in all honestly the regular games are at their weakest ever

Shhhhhhh.... I'm enjoying the lack of red, orange and yellow tags on my DYM tables. ;)
    Jac35 said:

Who do you think are the best players you’ve played in Dyms?

1) Dialbi4
    2) Patwalshh

One I'm delighted I'll never have to play again on here, one I wish I was still able to play against.

I could deal with playing against one of them, but if they were both playing I'd just ditch the DYM grind and do something else with my evening more often than not.

3) I'd probs say TimmyRaRa purely on volume etc.

There's really not a stand out 3rd place pick for me, from a bunch of a dozen or so regs I can think of that are good players but nobody that I'd go out of my way to avoid playing with or anything like that (basically all 'yellow'/'decent reg' tags for me), whereas the first two IMO are a class above.
    Pat was a very strong player.

Timmy’s volume and mental game is outstanding.
    Along with Dtm he has the best mental game of anyone i’ve played against on Sky. Nothing fazes him and he will continue to make the right decisions regardless of the run outs in previous games. It sounds obvious but it’s not that easy to do
    edited August 2019
    EvilPingu said:

MattBates said:

Just cant see big DYMs running. Cant see enough recs wanting to play them and the rake is too high for regs to battle playing them.

I've long been an advocate of dropping rake at £33+ to encourage more reg on reg action, and make people more willing to reg those games rather than game selecting. Recs will almost always prefer to join a game that has 4/6 registered over one that has 0/6 registered, and if a small rake drop helps encourage that, then I think it'll pay for itself with increased liquidity.

When normal DYMs ran more regularly, I would barely touch £33+ because there just wasn't any point - I would've been break even, maybe +1% ROI in those games at 10% rake. Even someone like @TommyD , @Nutter5932 or @dialbi4 would've struggled to win in those games. I felt I was better than many of the regs in those games, but it made more sense to play £11s with a bigger edge, smaller swings, and a similar £££/game.

There were some very well-known 'fun players' who used to frequent these £33+ games, one of whom was down close to £100k last I looked (before Sharkscope switched to opt-in). Those names are no longer around, and the games dried up thereafter because 10% rake just doesn't work without those players.

10% rake just isn't going to be beatable in 2019 with 5 regs and a rec, and there's not going to be enough recs punting £33+ DYMs in 2019 to get a better game than that on a regular basis. Hence, games don't run at 10% rake.

5% with some regs who think they have an edge over each other, and probs 1 rec per game fancying a punt at £31.50 or £52.50? I think that would run more than enough to compensate for a 50% rake drop.

But as a rake reduction hasn't happened for several years, I doubt Sky are going to change their stance now, especially with Stars uncertainty and more reason to think short term than ever.
    There were just enough bad players in those games to make them worthwhile. Chuck in 30% rakeback. Plus Raketherake ;) and they were very profitable
    Dial used to infuriate me by berating them. A lower stake high volume who plays now has been doing it for years as well.
    Totally gormless from a winning player to upset a poorer player. And more importantly just not nice

No chance of Sky reducing rake unfortunately
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,723
    Hi Paul
    Great to see you back posting.
    I won’t be able to add anything to this, my “talents” are limited to the less challenging format of mtt’s, but I shall read with interest and comment now and again.
    Hope things are ok at home, and you and Harry are doing well.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,855
    Jac35 said:

Just in case there’s any doubt about the format.
    I mean proper dyms and not that silly 4 card game that grown-ups play

FYP
  • MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Jac35 said:

MattBates said:

Just cant see big DYMs running. Cant see enough recs wanting to play them and the rake is too high for regs to battle playing them.

I tend to agree. But for different reasons
    They used to run all night long each and every night

You would see a lot of recs playing them towards the end of the night. My best guess was that was after they’d bricked everything and they saw it as a decent chance to get their money back on the night.

I think Spin ups and Turbo Dyms would be their choice now in the that situation.

For many regs , Dyms aren’t a game they win at but serous volume can make them profitable through rakeback. Again Turbos are more attractive to these players
    I think this is the way the recreational market is moving. Players want more action rather than playing a DYM or a deepstack for ages.
    Observations

You often hear things like “tight is right” and “only play premiums in the first couple of levels”

I totally disagree with both of those statements

Maybe they were valid points years ago when players did knock themselves out and you could cash by barely playing a hand

In 2019 it’s different, but many players still employ that tactic

So, if we do the opposite then that’s good isn’t it?

In the first couple of levels i’m going to play speculative hands, always in position though. I want to smash a flop. I’m not go broke on a 7 high board with 78hh etc

I’m more than happy to call a 60 chip raise and bin the hand quickly. In my opinion losing 60 chips and being down to 1940 is not going to affect my chances of cashing one tiny iota.

Min raising in the first couple of levels!
    It’s something that i see many good players doing on here. But i don’t get it. For a number of reasons
    If i’m in the big blind and someone mins to 40, i’m calling pretty much 100% of my range.

Also, if we are raising pre flop early on then most players will have a decent hand. Let’s build the pot.
    I see little worth in playing a pot beautifully and winning 150 chips. Let’s bump it up to start with and win a 1k pot and feel very happy about our chances of cashing

Talking of playing perfectly. I strongly believe balance is overrated in Dyms. Sure against good regs then we need balance but against a weaker opponent let’s get the lot when we have the goods.
    If we’ve raised pre and been called and bet flop and been called and bet turn and been called, there’s very little chance that opponents at the lower stakes are folding to a shove on the river, even if it is 2x pot.

I get that many many good players will disagree with my approach to these games.
    It would be good to hear others thoughts

More to follow
  • DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Good luck with the grinding and the new diary Jac.

Although they're not my cup of tea, it's still really interesting to get some insight into the DYM scene from an experienced and successful player in the format.

As for being "toss at MTT's", I'd hate to see where you set the bar for qualifying as a good tourney player... :o

• gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    I vary pre flop raise sizes in first 3 levels depending on who is left behind me. If it's all good winning players or over tight players left to act i will min raise if theyre bad looser players l raise bigger. If you are calling my min raises from bb with any2 then please carrry on as you are.

I dont mind playing speculative hands early in the hope of doubling up or winning a big pot. I much prefer Low pairs or low suited aces as opposed to mid suited connector hands for making those calls in dyms though. Playing with hands like 78 suited what are you hoping for on flop? Draws? you are going to put yourself in some difficult spots post flop if you are calling pre with hands like that imo. I see plenty of otherwise decent players make terrible decisions post flop playing draws. People seem to forget pot odds dont matter nearly as much when the object of the game is merely to survive. Also i think in a game with 3 or 4 regs doubling up early is overrated as the stacks will even back up most times when the blinds get high due to the shorter players stealing more frequently.
    edited August 2019
    Well, rather sadly it seems that i'm toss at Dyms as well. Had a bit of a torrid night at them and was down a fair bit.
    However it appears that i'm amazing at mtts.
    I played just my 4th and 5th mtts of the month with the 2 9.30s.

Bankroll is up to £773 now so £9 up on the night.
    Exit from the £3 rebuy was with 25 left for 132000 and the chip lead. My Aces v J5. As always I just smiled and thought to myself "That's poker"

Exit from the other game was just a few minutes ago. There were 7 left and for a £20 head and a good stack for the final table I lost with QQ v QJ. As always I just smiled and thought "Aw shucks, that's a pity"

Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance
    kirbsuk83 Small blind 800.00 800.00 16826.25
    Jac35 Big blind 1600.00 2400.00 22138.00
    Your hole cards
    Q
    Q

Kev1892 Fold
    kirbsuk83 All-in 16826.25 19226.25 0.00
    Jac35 Call 16026.25 35252.50 6111.75
    kirbsuk83 Show
    Q
    J
    Jac35 Show
    Q
    Q
    Flop

J

Turn

River

J

kirbsuk83 Win Three Jacks 35252.50 35252.50

I've just realised that was actually my penultimate hand. I got in next hand with Ace rag but lost to Q7. Trip 7s on the flops pretty hard to beat there 😀
    tomgoodun said:

Hi Paul
    Great to see you back posting.
    I won’t be able to add anything to this, my “talents” are limited to the less challenging format of mtt’s, but I shall read with interest and comment now and again.
    Hope things are ok at home, and you and Harry are doing well.

Hi Tom
    Hope you’re well
    You’re always very welcome here
    edited August 2019

Although they're not my cup of tea, it's still really interesting to get some insight into the DYM scene from an experienced and successful player in the format.

As for being "toss at MTT's", I'd hate to see where you set the bar for qualifying as a good tourney player... :o

😊 Thanks

You and Waller provided the inspiration actually. Diary rungood and all that. Maybe the fact that you two have a but of a talent for mtts helps as well 😉

I am going to have to play some mtts soon. Well, sats actually.
    I’ve got the time off and have 3 nights booked in Nottingham. I just have to qualify for the bloomin thing now 😊
    Hopefully I’ll be ok. I mean if @MISTY4ME can bag about 10 seats for every SPT, it can’t be that hard, right? 😉
    gregkdy82 said:

I vary pre flop raise sizes in first 3 levels depending on who is left behind me. If it's all good winning players or over tight players left to act i will min raise if theyre bad looser players l raise bigger. If you are calling my min raises from bb with any2 then please carrry on as you are.

I dont mind playing speculative hands early in the hope of doubling up or winning a big pot. I much prefer Low pairs or low suited aces as opposed to mid suited connector hands for making those calls in dyms though. Playing with hands like 78 suited what are you hoping for on flop? Draws? you are going to put yourself in some difficult spots post flop if you are calling pre with hands like that imo. I see plenty of otherwise decent players make terrible decisions post flop playing draws. People seem to forget pot odds dont matter nearly as much when the object of the game is merely to survive. Also i think in a game with 3 or 4 regs doubling up early is overrated as the stacks will even back up most times when the blinds get high due to the shorter players stealing more frequently.

Nice post Greg
    Makes a lot of sense
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,272
    edited August 2019
    Enough of this poker tosh, has Harry wrecked your new house yet?
    edited August 2019
    Enut said:

Enough of this poker tosh, has Harry wrecked your new house yet?

Hi Paul

It’s not totally wrecked yet :)
    We are moving about for a week soon though. I felt fairly comfortable with this one. I said to Harry that we could go on holiday to anywhere that he wanted. The answer was expected.
    “Butlins Skegness”
    He’s been with his Mum before. I’ve never been before but i’m sure it will be incredible

I have him at the moment actually. Just watched Paw Patrol and played nerf guns.
    Now, he can start on his chores 😊

He’s had a quite a few changes in his life but he’s adjusted really well and is very happy.

Here’s the two us last Christmas

Fabulous photo, but I'm a little worried that polar bear is a bit close for comfort.
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,157
    Jac35 said:

😊 Thanks

You and Waller provided the inspiration actually. Diary rungood and all that. Maybe the fact that you two have a but of a talent for mtts helps as well 😉

I am going to have to play some mtts soon. Well, sats actually.
    I’ve got the time off and have 3 nights booked in Nottingham. I just have to qualify for the bloomin thing now 😊
    Hopefully I’ll be ok. I mean if @MISTY4ME can bag about 10 seats for every SPT, it can’t be that hard, right? 😉
    COUGH.....COUGH !

You know you're only allowed to win 4...... ;)

GOOD LUCK Jac...... really hope I make it to Notts. too and we can have a Beer or two
  • waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,013
    Great photo mate.

I've been to Butlins a few times when my kids were younger. It's actually alright to be fair, certainly for the kids as there is loads for them to do. Even the evening entertainment is decent, far better than than the "entertainment" you get at most places abroad.
  • bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701
    Has this already morphed into an MTT and bad beat thread?!

Guess the min raise level 1 and 2 allows regs to add more hands and also to defend vs what would be smaller 3 bets. I’m with you on hand selection against a really tight opening range. I’ve seen a lot of players blindly firing 3/4 pot bets on flops and turns regardless of board texture and I’m not sure that maximises returns. But vs regs the money isn’t made in the early levels so maybe it’s ok.

I played one 11 game yesterday out of nostalgia, and that featured a Level 1 4x open UTG, flatted by UTG+1 followed by a 2k shove from the SB with JJ. It’s good to know there is still money to be made in these games. Didn’t cash though 😄
    I’ve been able to catch most of the cricket so far today
    I fear we need to have an amazing evening session if we’re to have the slightest chance of staying in the Ashes

I was really pleased to see Roy given the opportunity but I think i was wrong and test cricket, certainly as an opener, is beyond him.
    You need soft hands at times and those balls where he flashes hard in one day cricket and gets a thick edge for four down to third man are just going to get him out regularly in tests.

Archer has been brilliant though. Maybe the most exciting player to break through for England since Pietersen.

I think it’s been a fabulous series that they’ve done on KP
    I fell out with English cricket a lot when he was left out. I understood to a degree the reasons why but i think you just have to live with it when you have a player of that ability.

It was an incredible series in 2005. I admired the way Vaughan captained the side back then but he really irritates now.
    He’s so very smug.
    I noticed in the documentary that he attempted to take credit for KPs knock in the final day at the Oval.
    If you recall Brett Lee shook him up before lunch and he was struggling a bit.
    According to Vaughan he was petrified at lunch and it was only after they’d had a chat and he’d released him to play his natural game did things start to come good for KP
    Hmmm

I’m getting very old
    I googled how old Geoff Boycott is the other day, 78

I remember seeing him play.
    A John Player Special Sunday league game at Chesterfield back in the last year of his career

@Jac35

Yeah, quite a day at Headingley.

Pretty rare for an entire first innings to barely last longer than a single session. 10 wickets in a sesh in Test cricket is ridic unless the pitch is a real dog.

Stokes was the most disappointing, much as I admire him. He could barely even reach the ball but still went for it.

Root at least went to a good ball, but successive ducks is not good. Again, I admire Root, but he's never struck me as Captaincy material, & I get the impression the dressing room is a bit cliquey.

Moeen Ali, for example, was retained far too long before the axe eventually fell. Rotating works well in football because it keeps players on their toes, & I think the England Test side need a bit of that. And some openers, obv.