You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

stepping up

macsback1macsback1 Member Posts: 10
As l play and learn each day, l would like to know what it takes to make the step up to more populated and higher staked tournaments?
I presently play mainly in £5 buy ins and have made some fair progress, but on stepping up to a higher staked entry, l have somewhat found myself a little out of my depth, as the aggression in these tourneys are taken to a new level. What is your advise to me (other than stay where l am playing now) that would prepare me to better compete at this level?

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,772

@macsback1

You have posted in the correct Board, but there's not much traffic or "eyes" here.

I'll leave it here for now, but if there are not many responses I'll move it across to Poker Chat later where I'm sure you'll get lots of help.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,015
    People's approach on bankroll management vary. If you can afford to reload then play whatever you can afford to lose. However, if you are trying to build a bankroll with the aim of never redepositing again then you need to be quite strict with bankroll management.

Around 100 buy ins is the general rule of thumb that I go with although you can take the occasional shot at a higher stake MTT as long as you are disciplined enough to move back down the stakes when required.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    macsback1 said:

As l play and learn each day, l would like to know what it takes to make the step up to more populated and higher staked tournaments?
    I presently play mainly in £5 buy ins and have made some fair progress, but on stepping up to a higher staked entry, l have somewhat found myself a little out of my depth, as the aggression in these tourneys are taken to a new level. What is your advise to me (other than stay where l am playing now) that would prepare me to better compete at this level?

If the level above is more aggro then try and up your own aggression levels so you are more comfortable. I think to some extent you need to play and experience a level to know how well you will do at that level.

Years back I used to rail certain players who had a game I rated as a learning tool.

I have seen some people drop down a level to try out some plays.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,015
    waller02 said:

People's approach on bankroll management vary. If you can afford to reload then play whatever you can afford to lose. However, if you are trying to build a bankroll with the aim of never redepositing again then you need to be quite strict with bankroll management.

Around 100 buy ins is the general rule of thumb that I go with although you can take the occasional shot at a higher stake MTT as long as you are disciplined enough to move back down the stakes when required.

Ignore all that. I misread what you were asking......
  • Options
    macsback1macsback1 Member Posts: 10
    MattBates said:

macsback1 said:

If the level above is more aggro then try and up your own aggression levels so you are more comfortable. I think to some extent you need to play and experience a level to know how well you will do at that level.

Years back I used to rail certain players who had a game I rated as a learning tool.

I have seen some people drop down a level to try out some plays.
    Thanks Matt, both your time and comments are much appreciated. I suppose l need to grow a pair and start trying out what you suggested.