You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

AK 225 bb deep river decision

grantorinograntorino Member Posts: 4,710
Villain is a little on the loose side, but has an idea what he is doing

Thoughts on turn check?
river c/f, c/c., b/f

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
grantorinoSmall blind£0.10£0.10£44.29
BBBig blind£0.20£0.30£55.32
Your hole cards
  • A
  • K
UTGFold
HJFold
CORaise£0.60£0.90£49.85
BTNCall£0.60£1.50£3.25
grantorinoRaise£2.10£3.60£42.19
BBFold
COCall£1.60£5.20£48.25
BTNFold
Flop
  • K
  • Q
grantorinoBet£2.60£7.80£39.59
COCall£2.60£10.40£45.65
Turn
  • A
grantorinoCheck
COBet£5.20£15.60£40.45
grantorinoCall£5.20£20.80£34.39
River
  • Q

Comments

• JacquelynJacquelyn Member Posts: 254
    edited May 2020
    What was the result of this hand? They had KQ/AQ?

What was your reason for checking the turn?

I am not a great cash player, but I would have bet the turn again I think, don't know if that helps you or not?!
  • grantorinograntorino Member Posts: 4,710
    I think I probably should bet turn, but reasoning at the time was not many hands I beat can call 2 streets and he might fire weaker hands if I check

I'll hold off on results until I hopefully get more opinions on how I should proceed on river
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,811

@grantorino

I'll move this to Poker Chat so that it gets more eyeballs & hopefully more responses.
  • H3nryH3nry Member Posts: 39
    Hi Grantorino,

I've recently enjoyed you posting cash hands especially 200bb+ deep. For me this is the Rolls Royce version of poker as it is the least solved and most complex. It is one game where the best players can really excel and you can make the largest errors.

I will have a go at replying to this hand but I am no great authority.

Pre I would definitely squeeze larger from the small blind to nearer 15bb especially this deep.
    On the flop I would consider checking TPTK this deep then going for two streets of value as you say in your post 'not many hands you beat can call two streets' and I much prefer a check bet bet line than a bet check turn line especially when your hand strength improves. 100bb deep I definitely bet and am happy to get it in with TPTK and if I am beat move on.
    Once you check turn you obviously have to call then I am always playing in flow and checking river hoping we get a check back. I think we do then have to call a small bet as we could be up against the same hand but anything else we beat would be a bluff and very few players at this level would find a bluff here even happy to check back the straight on the paired board.
    Even some bluffs on the turn QJ,QT get there on the river, how many are bluffing with AJ/AT, I think they are happy taking showdown. Its exploitable but any jam is probably a fold and feeling like you've been run over but I have been shown AQ,QQ,KQ, too many times in that situation.

• Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,473
    Jacquelyn said:

What was the result of this hand? They had KQ/AQ?

What was your reason for checking the turn?

I am not a great cash player, but i would have shoved pre!

FYP ;)
  • JacquelynJacquelyn Member Posts: 254
    whats FYP?
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,723
    Jacquelyn said:

whats FYP?

I must admit to being baffled by a lot of these (acronyms?)
    This one is Fixed Your Post.

Although...in my twisted mind I can think of umpteen it could mean, but pretty sure this was Paul’s meaning.
    H3nry said:

Hi Grantorino,

I've recently enjoyed you posting cash hands especially 200bb+ deep. For me this is the Rolls Royce version of poker as it is the least solved and most complex. It is one game where the best players can really excel and you can make the largest errors.

I will have a go at replying to this hand but I am no great authority.

Pre I would definitely squeeze larger from the small blind to nearer 15bb especially this deep.
    On the flop I would consider checking TPTK this deep then going for two streets of value as you say in your post 'not many hands you beat can call two streets' and I much prefer a check bet bet line than a bet check turn line especially when your hand strength improves. 100bb deep I definitely bet and am happy to get it in with TPTK and if I am beat move on.
    Once you check turn you obviously have to call then I am always playing in flow and checking river hoping we get a check back. I think we do then have to call a small bet as we could be up against the same hand but anything else we beat would be a bluff and very few players at this level would find a bluff here even happy to check back the straight on the paired board.
    Even some bluffs on the turn QJ,QT get there on the river, how many are bluffing with AJ/AT, I think they are happy taking showdown. Its exploitable but any jam is probably a fold and feeling like you've been run over but I have been shown AQ,QQ,KQ, too many times in that situation.

3 bet sizing in general seems to be bigger since I last played poker, and I think mine prob should be bigger OOP deep

Can you explain why you prefer check flop/bet turn to bet flop/check turn? You may well be right just interested in the reasoning

River I think is definitely a c/f. Cant see what he bets that I beat. Villain checked behind in this case but I'd prob have called a bet in game

In case anyone interested I checked, villain checked back w JT. Thought it a poor check from him at the time ( and I would prob have called like a fish if he bet) but the more I think about it I think there is merit in his check