You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Luck or skill?

SilverdallSilverdall Member Posts: 15
I have just recently started playing low stake tournaments and was wondering how much of this game is skill and how much is luck?

How many tournaments should it take for me to get onto the final table?

Could I one day win a tournament through sheer luck or does it take years of practice?

Comments

• Options
    TVSpiceTVSpice Member Posts: 1,241

I have just recently started playing low stake tournaments and was wondering how much of this game is skill and how much is luck?

Could I one day win a tournament through sheer luck or does it take years of practice?

I've just seen this question. I would suggest that you repost in in either the Poker Chat section (first one down under poker on the right) or perhaps The Poker Clinic (haven't looked at that thread, so not sure but Poker Chat is a good one for help). Good luck and enjoy the game is the most important thing along with not spending more than you are happy with.

There is a relatively new league (started May this year) for low stake players. It can be found at the top of Poker Chat under Micro Masters League. That is fun with some decent prizes on offer with stakes from 55p (Nightly Micro) to £5.50 and no higher. Just register for the league, each one runs Monday to Sunday, by putting your name down on the thread and @NOSTRI or @waller02 will place you in.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,128

@TVSpice

I'll move this across to Poker Chat.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,540

it really depends on the tournament and the tournament structure. in principle yes you can win any tournament any structure by pure luck.

However depending on the structure of the tournament and the likely participents your chances of winning the whole thing by pure luck are going to vary widely.

for example if your playing a £2 hyper turbo tournament with 45 players where there are a lot of players who do not know what they are doing a lot of luck involve and moving fast you would stand a much better chance in taking this down by pure luck than the sunday millions where we have a slow structure some of the best players in the world playing and 10s of thousands of players to wade through.

Rather than try to rely on luck though you can work on your game and play appropriate stakes for yourself so that you win due to skill.
  • Options
    RinkhalsRinkhals Member Posts: 212
    I've a succint answer to this.

Luck can only get you so far.
  • Options
    kalooki8kalooki8 Member Posts: 442
    There are 100s of different playing styles out there. Find one you're comfortable with and tweak it as you get more experience. Not many players are successful from the start, experience counts for a lot.
    I've written a song that might help, it goes something like - know when to hold em, know when to fold em - just need another few more lines, maybe know when to walk away, know when to go the pub and forget about poker.
  • Options
    percival09percival09 Member Posts: 3,804
    Rinkhals said:

I've a succint answer to this.

Luck can only get you so far.

Skill can only get you so far.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297

great question..I won one last June 19 (£1900+) so sheer luck, clearly ;) ...however it took me few years of practice getting that lucky :#

Good LUCK! >:)