You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Diary No.2 - December Challenge

MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,237
edited December 2020 in Poker Chat
Its a good few years since i did a diary on here but feel the need to start another.

The last one was a BR challenge and went from £40 to 1K+ (although it took a while - well over a year i think).
I was playing mainly 2p/4p, 4p/8p and micro - Low stakes tournies. I never progressed past that though. Looking back it was pretty obvious why. I never put any time into studying and everytime i tried to move up to 5p/10p i got crushed.

A few years on and a lot has changed. I was then playing up to 16 hours a day but every penny i earn,t was frittered away on my unhealthy lifestyle.

I am now a single dad to a little boy who turned 2 a few weeks back and the time i can devote to poker is limited so i want to make the most of it.

The main aim of this diary is to become a better player and writing down goals and challenges on here will certainly help toward that.

I have recently been doing the zoom chats with Graham (StayorGo) and others and it has wetted my appetite for the learning side of things. I used to find all this quite boring and just wanted to play all the time, hence why i never progressed but am quite enjoying it now and want to learn more and more.

I still struggle a bit with it . I,ll watch a video for example - learn 1 thing in the first 5 mins and jump str8 into a game to test it out without watching the rest of the vid.

So my 1st challenge to myself is a bit off an odd one for a diary. It will be not to play a single game for the rest of the month. I,ve been toying with this idea for a few weeks now but haven,t been able to stick to it. Instead for 1 hour a night i will do some form of study.

I,m gonna start tonight by listening to an audio book by Johnathan Little (Mastering Small Stakes)

I will start a BR challenge when i have a bit more time (maybe next month)

Thx for reading

P

Comments

• StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,127
    Hi Paul. Best of luck with this. Good to have you in the Zoom group.
  • lfccarllfccarl Member Posts: 1,489
    all the best with this
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,782

GL Paul, hope it goes OK.

What is your little boy's name, if I may ask?
  • CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Great stuff.

Will be following your progress here.

Best of Luck!
  • CarnageCarnage Member Posts: 48
    Good luck with this.
  • MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,237
    Cheers Guys

@Tikay10 Its James (not my choice but its grown on me) - Was told it was a "good strong name" whatever that means.

His surname is a bit of a mouthful. We had a disagreement in the registry office and he,s ended up with both our surnames "Salthouse-Robinson".

------

So day 1 has gone well, Not played a game and too tired to be that bothered about it.

I did start the Johnathon Little Audio book last night. Not sure what to make of it so far. First 2 chapters were very basic (even for me) and very short.(more like intros)

However the 3rd chapter "Pre-Flop Strategy" seems quite interesting. There are 237 online range charts to accompany the book. My memory is pretty bad at the best of times so not sure how i,m going to remember all those.

I do have other forms of study i want to concentrate on but will crack on with the book tonight and get another hour in .

GL all

P

• thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 932
    Good luck with your challenge, @MP33

I shall be following.
  • DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Interesting thread title. Will you just be concentrating on milk or also dabbling in yogurt and cheese?

In all seriousness, best of luck with this. I really like your start - not playing and dedicating that time to studying. I think lot of diaries neglect that side of the game when it's probably the most important of all if you're aspiring to improve your long-term results.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,782

Interesting thread title. Will you just be concentrating on milk or also dabbling in yogurt and cheese?

In all seriousness, best of luck with this. I really like your start - not playing and dedicating that time to studying. I think lot of dairies neglect that side of the game when it's probably the most important of all if you're aspiring to improve your long-term results.

@Duesenberg

FYP

Cheers Guys

@Duesenberg Haha - Didn,t realise. Over 100 views and your the 1st person to point that out.

The studying didn,t go great last night. Must have been 10 or 15 minutes in and fell asleep. I,m certainly not blaming the book for that - just too tired - so will try again tonight and start a little earlier.

Tomorrow will be a break from the book and my study will be watching Duese's stream and the eagerly anticipated Mattbates podcast. Looking forward to it

GL all

P

edited August 2020
    Not much to report last cpl of days

Managed to stay off the tables and not play a game but still not getting the time i,d like to concentrate on this book and when i do its just not sinking in. I,ll try again tomorrow.

The little fella is starting nursery in a cpl of weeks for 2 days and his grandparents have said they,ll have him 1 night a week.

Should be a good time to start a BR challenge.Not sure what it will be yet but will have to be a mixture between cash and MTT,s

GL all

P

(gotta get back to the gym as well - not looking forward to that, its been nearly 2 years and i;ve not been this unfit in a long time)
    Still on chapter 3 in the book - Pre-flop strategy

Think next book i might get something more specific to games on here. Have to constantly remember when he refers to Early position he,s talking of 9 player games so when he refers to middle position - thats my early position. Some of the hand ranges also refer to antes being played and of course theres no mention of bountys.

With 200+ charts i,m picking out a cpl to concentrate on at a time and will refer to them when i play. (looking at SB vs BB atm)

I was itching for a game last night but stayed disciplined and just watched a few tables and made some notes from Sharkscope. Got 4 more days to go till the end of month - Looking forward to playing again

GL

P

Cracked last night and jumped into a freeroll - Only lasted a few hands though and got back to the book after that.

I,ll be spending tonight looking at new computers again.

I,ve got a little Beelink Mini Computer at present but looking to upgrade.

If i,m watching a stream, playing 4 tables and have a cpl of web pages up it starts to lag a bit and the CPU goes above 90%.

It only cost £250. It has a 256GB SSD, 8MB RAM and an i3 processor @ 2.0 GHZ

I replaced it with the same model but with an i5 processor at 2.7 GHZ but its not much better, so sent it back

I was wondering if getting one with 16MB RAM would make any difference to the CPU and stop it going over 90% all the time?

Thx

P
  • waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,013
    MP33 said:

Cracked last night and jumped into a freeroll - Only lasted a few hands though and got back to the book after that.

If i,m watching a stream, playing 4 tables and have a cpl of web pages up it starts to lag a bit and the CPU goes above 90%.

I replaced it with the same model but with an i5 processor at 2.7 GHZ but its not much better, so sent it back

I was wondering if getting one with 16MB RAM would make any difference to the CPU and stop it going over 90% all the time?

Thx

P

@kapowblamz is great for PC advice.

I bought a new desktop a few months back and got some great advice on this thread.

https://community.skypoker.com/discussion/177503/desktop-pc#latest
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    RAM is almost never the bottleneck, which is contrary to what many people, even techies, will tell you. Once all your RAM is used, which will be rarely, it just dumps the item you used longest ago and replaces it with what you're currently using. The dump and load process take milliseconds and it does use the CPU, but the amount of CPU it uses is tiny. RAM is overrated and unless you're running heavy graphic design processes then any noticeable effect is usually a placebo.

What processes are consuming all of your cpu?
    edited August 2020
    waller02 said:

MP33 said:

Thx

P

I bought a new desktop a few months back and got some great advice on this thread.

Fwiw, the desktop I bought (mentioned in the thread) runs like a dream, apart from the crash issue which is a software rather than pc problem. I often have Skype, discord, twitch, Spotify and the forum running alongside my tables and never experience any lag issues. So anything with similar spec should be fine.
    @waller02 @kapowblamz

Cheers guys

I,ve just loaded 4 tables on Sky and a twitch stream on 720p

Looking at task manager my CPU is roughly between 70 and 80% (Google chrome is on about 50-60% - System about 7-8% and desktop windows manager 3-4%

I,ll now load a game on another site and see what happens - CPU jumps to 96-99% and google up to 80% and starts lagging

I did check out the other thread and thought it interesting you said you could still build a computer suitable for poker for <400 (I wasn,t looking to spend more than £500)

Is it really much cheaper to build your own these days? I,m sure i could get a mate to help me put it together.

I looked at the website mentioned in thread -https://pcpartpicker.com/ink and like the idea of buying each thing separately esp. if its going to save money.
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    edited August 2020
    It used to be a lot cheaper to build your own, but nowadays the difference is negligible, if you buy from the right place, and you get the benefit of after sales support.

It looks like Chrome is your problem. It can be a CPU and RAM hog. See how your pc runs when you use a different browser.
  • DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    waller02 said:

MP33 said:

Thx

P

Thanks for the reminder of this thread @waller02. Getting to share in your struggle to successfully plug in your new monitor was a truly joyous experience :D

waller02 said:

MP33 said:

Thx

P

Thanks for the reminder of this thread @waller02. Getting to share in your struggle to successfully plug in your new monitor was a truly joyous experience :D
    As a team player, I did it as an intentional mistake to highlight things to be aware of when setting up your PC