You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Double Dutch!

T_BRADLEYT_BRADLEY Member Posts: 3
edited January 2021 in Poker Chat
I've never posted on the forum before so appreciate any help. I've played intermittently for 10 years+ and try not to conform to any particular playing style, if anything I think I sit closer to a loose aggressive style, I try move through strategies during games to make my position and hands harder to read, albeit my risk appetite is often dictated by my stack relative to the table (this might be an error itself), I'll frequently trap players with a monster.

I've read through the academy text thinking there's a simple oversight to what I do but no such luck. More on style, I do play less bluffs than premium hands and post flop I seldom fold (about 30%) as a consequence. I've discovered some uncomfortable truths, which is I fare far better at a table than online, and that every third deposits I'll make 3-6x deposit before my luck turns and I eventually bust out. I fear that I'm using this opinion as an excuse for poor play :-(

I've tried tournaments but get a little bored with anything other than a bounty hunter which at least offers the potential for me to take a nibble at other players, in tournaments I seldom make the top 30%. Tried spin ups, which generally go all in pre flop but again I run either hot or cold (usually in long sequences), so now I wonder, as I barely retain an interest in anything more than a flip, how do I go about disecting my game and improving? Or how can I approach poker from an altogether different phycological position to improve my results? Afterall I can't be the first to do a bit of soul searching...

Inherently I'm a gambler so I inevitably end my sessions having busted out but despite constant losses I know I'm well capable of better and I'm a much better player than the results I get may suggest, so I feel to improve I need to own a style instead of trying to play the chameleon and find a challenge at the table to hold my focus - it's took 10 years to arrive at this conclusion but in this time I haven't found an answer and I'm possibly clutching at straws!

I have plenty of faults and a big one is I'm often happy to continue to a turn and will build happily build the pot fishing with 4 of a suit or an open ender, however, in such a circumstance I know how to manage the sizing of a pot to minimise my losses and on balance my wins probably outweigh my losses. I do respond badly to coolers, as I'm a bit more active when they come in quick succession I'm often tempted to shove with a 78 - 10J off because that's the sort of rubbish I seem to run in to, and when I do my lack of respect for such hands means my losses are significant.

So much right about the 'text book' play, but the results are ultimately wrong, having read the other community posts this is a very different subject of post to what is typically put up, but I'm not sure where else is suitable, so where do I even start if I want to finally curtail this negative cycle....

Comments

• NitrogenNitrogen Member Posts: 67
    T_BRADLEY said:

I fear that I'm using this opinion as an excuse for poor play :-(

so where do I even start if I want to finally curtail this negative cycle....

Step 1 - desire to improve (you've done that one)

Step 2 - study

Step 3 - apply what you learn

Step 4 - study some more

There's plenty of resources out there - I'm a paid member here https://jonathanlittlepoker.com/ but there's plenty of free content that is very good on the site as well. Many other training sites of varying quality are available.

Best advice is to train yourself to make the best play possible on every street of every hand. The results of hands don't matter. Get to the point where you get it all in as a 90% favourite and lose and it barely registers as a loss.

Make enough good decisions and the wins will come. But constantly reviewing hands and studying is the only way - there's no shortcuts.

Only other note is bankroll management - if you are losing then play the lowest stakes until you start winning and only move up once you are sure you have an edge. Plenty of decent players go bankrupt because they play too high too soon.

Good luck from what you've posted you are introspective enough to find it in you.

• Monty15Monty15 Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2021
    I think you need to have really solid fundamentals to win consistently in online poker. Learn solid pre-flop hand ranges for every position and stick to them. When playing postflop dont chase bad draws by check calling and playing passivelly. Everything in poker has an expected value attached to it and when you start chasing after hands with a ‘gambling’ mindset trying to get lucky it really destroys your bottom line.

As Nitrogen says, shift your mindset to focus on the controlables in the game. You will never be be able to change how good or bad you run on any given day. Coolers happen to everyone but the difference is winning players cant afford to react so negatively towards them. When you find yourself losing discipline and shoving the JTo-78o kinda hands because thats the ‘kind of rubbish you normally run into’ just know that thats the gamblers mentality setting in and when this happens any edge you may have in the game goes out the window.

Just a few thoughts, hope this helps :)
  • T_BRADLEYT_BRADLEY Member Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone! That's useful, I've moved to higher stakes in the hope it made me more focussed but to little avail. After a little more self reflection I've realised when I make a hand I focus on building the pot as opposed to getting paid for my winning position. I guess this opens the door too coolers and I'm shooting myself in the foot looking for a big pot. I can learn more by being brave and not my responsibility to make them call. So the statement about playing the hand I can relate to, I think I need to bet bigger through the flop and turn when I'm confident I'm ahead - which as people read my pattern will support my loose aggressive pre flop style