You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Any thoughts on this bounty hunter tournament hand? Many thanks :)

Card4LifeCard4Life Member Posts: 18
edited April 2021 in Poker Chat
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
winnie29Small blind10.0010.001970.00
Card4LifeBig blind20.0030.002070.00
Your hole cards
  • J
  • Q
geoff1946Fold
RenniemoFold
P3pp3rCall20.0050.001950.00
841LEYFold
winnie29Call10.0060.001960.00
Card4LifeRaise100.00160.001970.00
P3pp3rFold
winnie29Call100.00260.001860.00
Flop
  • A
  • K
winnie29Check
Card4LifeBet240.00500.001730.00
winnie29Call240.00740.001620.00
Turn
winnie29Check
Card4LifeBet540.001280.001190.00
winnie29Call540.001820.001080.00
River
winnie29Check
Card4LifeAll-in1190.003010.000.00
winnie29All-in1080.004090.000.00
Card4LifeUnmatched bet110.003980.00110.00
winnie29Show
  • A
  • Q
Card4LifeShow
  • J
  • Q
winnie29WinPair of Aces3980.003980.00

Comments

• jordz16jordz16 Member Posts: 2,253
    no need to raise pre, jq suited plays great multi way, and when you raise and get called you will have no idea if you are ahead or behind even if you hit top pair, and stealing whats currently in the pot isnt really worth it at this stage of an mtt.

the flop and turn are both fine i would say but then its an easy check behind on the river as you still beat the j10 and q10 draws and you are specifically only getting him off a hand such as kj and kq both of which you have blocker cards to which make it a less likely holding
  • Card4LifeCard4Life Member Posts: 18
    Thankyou Jordz16 ,

That analysis makes a lot of sense , the brashness of the raise pre was a little too over confident considering the hand in question and the stage of the tournament , I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

Im pretty sure I wasnt even thinking about blockers on the River , major leak of mine......I was trying to get him off the King but if i had blocked hands in mind I could have made the correct check.

Again though , great River (and overall) analysis , you're reasoning is sound and very much appreciated !

Many thanks !
  • WilhelmWilhelm Member Posts: 1,730
    It would help to know the buy-in level.

I agree that we don't need to raise pre. I would add that I think your bet sizing is too large throughout the hand (up to the river). I also think we could check back the turn as it changes very little.
    Thankyou Wilhelm ,

It was a small stakes game between £3-£10 Buy In , very good point , I usually would bet smaller and have no doubt that would be a profitable play but am experimenting with different sizing at present (although to no avail on my sample so far lol).

Really appreciate your comment and has given me great food for thought

Many thanks !
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,272
    @jordz16 and @Wilhelm's posts are very good. I would add that once villain calls a near pot sized bet on that flop he almost certainly has something, it's a rainbow flop with the only straight draws being effectively inside ones (4 outers), so hands like yours, which you block. I don't think floating at that buy in level is widespread and if he is floating what is he going to rep?

Turn doesn't change anything really and nor does river. Your bet sizing also leaves you just over 50% on the river shove. Smaller bet sizing on flop and turn would mean you can put in a much larger river shove and he's much less likely to call, as played he's already committed about 1/2 his stack so calling off the other 1/2 is easier, if he'd only put in 1/4 of his stack by the river calling off another 3/4 is a harder call. Or smaller bet sizing means you can fire two barrels and then decide to give up and you'd still have about 3/4 of your starting stack, even as played you could check/fold river and still have 50bb, all assuming it's not a rebuy, of course.

At least you can make a note that villain probably has you tagged as a maniac now!
  • Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534
    Yeah I am the same as Jordz pre no need to bloat the pot pre unless we are specifically trying to isolate the player.

As played being the pre flop aggressor I am going to lead the flop but much smaller like 30% sizing and I would also be raising nut hands the same size for balance. If we limp pre its just a super easy check back... sometimes simplifying is the best strategy.

On the turn once called im basically giving up on anything but a 10 or club... with the 10 we will be looking to extract value and with the club we will be trying to win the pot on the turn. lets say xc falls on turn I think a 1.5x pot overbet would be the best move with the plan to jam almost all rivers.

Put kq and raggy aces in a horrible spot
    Thanks Enut , I completely get what you mean about the flop , it really does narrow his range and Im blocking a lot of the hands Im trying to get him in the first place , I only hope they have tagged me as a maniac so i can get some chips next time when I have it ! :blush: Cheers for the input!
    Thanks Itsover4u , I really like your exploration with the overbet/jam line , that really does put villain in a horrible spot , I will be keeping these wise words in mind .... food for thought indeed ! I really appreciate your help ! Cheers ! :)
  • MohicanMohican Member Posts: 1,421
    I personally like your raise pre flop, especially as it got rid of one limper and left you in position. Also like your cbet on the flop, just not the size of it. As played, I'm checking back the turn and the river if the villain doesn't bet it.