You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

£250 to £5k Challenge | BR £2,378.77 + £220 & £110 UKOPs Seats

thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 932
edited October 2021 in Poker Chat
I know I have done a few of these in the past without much overall success, but hoping the usual reasons (motivation, focus etc) for doing so apply this time around. Furthermore, after a busy week without playing, I thought I'd contribute a bit more to the forum with this thread as it has been kind to me in recent months with several prizes from the MML, FTT, daily comp and such during probably the most consistent and longest profitable period in all my poker playing days.

I have withdrawn the majority of my bankroll, and left £250 to play with. My target is to reach 5k before the end of the year.

To start, my plan is to be quite disciplined and only really play £2 games and under, plus maybe a couple of the other £3/5 games from the MML schedule. And will allow myself to play the Sunday Mini if the previous week has been profitable. At least until I build my BR a bit.

That's it for now. I need to keep some waffle for all the update posts. :D

Any questions, ask away. See you all at the tables.

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,029

I know I have done a few of these in the past without much overall success, but hoping the usual reasons (motivation, focus etc) for doing so apply this time around. Furthermore, after a busy week without playing, I thought I'd contribute a bit more to the forum with this thread as it has been kind to me in recent months with several prizes from the MML, FTT, daily comp and such during probably the most consistent and longest profitable period in all my poker playing days.

I have withdrawn the majority of my bankroll, and left £250 to play with. My target is to reach 5k before the end of the year.

To start, my plan is to be quite disciplined and only really play £2 games and under, plus maybe a couple of the other £3/5 games from the MML schedule. And will allow myself to play the Sunday Mini if the previous week has been profitable. At least until I build my BR a bit.

That's it for now. I need to keep some waffle for all the update posts. :D

Any questions, ask away. See you all at the tables.

That's genuinely appreciated Dazzy, I really hope your challenge goes well mate.
  • Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 767
    Best of luck with the challenge @thedazzman , will be following with interest!
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,148
    Good luck with this @thedazzman, should be a good read
  • coo1-umcoo1-um Member Posts: 2,924
    @thedazzman i am sure that you will beat this. You invited questions so;
    • Do you have anticipated dates for certain ‘milestones’ before the year end.
    • How often do you intend to report
    • Why start with such a low buy in limit given the starting ‘stack’ I would have thought you wouldn’t be dropping down to these levels with a balance over £100.
    • Will you be including any cash or DYMs
    Good luck
  • thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 932
    Thanks, guys for the comments.
    coo1-um said:

@thedazzman i am sure that you will beat this. You invited questions so;

• Do you have anticipated dates for certain ‘milestones’ before the year end.
      Haven't really thought about it yet, to be honest. Best case scenario, if I run nearly as well as I have recently, it would be quite possible to succeed well before the end of year. But as mentioned in the OP, that recent good form was well above my normal expectations. I will definitely, though, give myself some mini targets/milestones along the way once the challenge is underway.
    • How often do you intend to report
      My main evenings to play would be Mondays (Until Pub Poker league can resume), Tuesdays and Thursdays and some weekend evenings, so I could probably report back after most sessions.
    • Why start with such a low buy in limit given the starting ‘stack’ I would have thought you wouldn’t be dropping down to these levels with a balance over £100.
      Right from my early poker playing days, I have always had it stuck in my head that to play most poker game types with a discipline attitude with a smaller risk of busting, you'd need at least 100 buyins. I will no doubt start mixing more higher limits once/if the BR builds a bit. That psychological/mental feeling of being disciplined, especially at the start of the challenge is important to me, otherwise, having a bad start (especially when including some buyins higher than £2) could quickly dwindle the BR and would likely end up in a completely failed challenge. I definitely wouldn't be able to do as you did in your challenge when your bankroll was close to busting for a while.
    • Will you be including any cash or DYMs
      No cash. I don't have much proper experience in cash poker or studied it and only ever played it in the past when tilting. So best to completely avoid it. I'd much rather put down some fixed entry fees in tournaments and potentially make use of them for several hours than put down [possibly multiple] buyins on cash that could potentially be gone in seconds.

DYMs can quickly become awfully dull, especially when running bad. These days as well, my much preferred non-turbo versions seem not to run as often as they once did. The turbo ones are just too swingy and tilt-inducing for my liking. However, I may play them occasionally for promotion/point building purposes.

Good luck
    Thank you
    See you all at the tables

edited June 2021
    Day 1

Only played a handful of games tonight, but I guess that's gonna be the norm until the bankroll is at least in profit a bit.

Felt I didn't run too well. Knocked out or crippled in 3 of the tournaments by a lower PP AIPF. Frustrating. And that's why I unregistered from the two later £2 tournaments.

A couple of positive notes though. I did final table the Nightly Micro and picked up enough bounties to profit in another. That unfortunately still didn't cover the losses though and we ended the day a little in the red. I also found and joined the Discord server which seems like it will be fun. I just need to get used to it as it is something I have never used before.

Graphs/Stats/Goals etc will be included in later updates. Next edition penned for Thursday.

Thanks for reading,
    Onwards and upwards. See you at the tables
    Forgot to mention.

I understand that the double point promotion is running, however, I did receive 6 points for the 18:05 B/H when I should only have got 4.

This would be something I wouldn't notice usually, but it was the first game I was eliminated in. I finished the session with 28 points, so 2 extra.

That's possibly another small glitch to add to the list.
    edited June 2021
    Day 2

Frustrated from the first hour or so and played pretty terribly for the night. The least said about the poor start to this challenge, the better. I know it's barely started, but hopefully the sharp downward trajectory reverses soon. If nothing else, just to boost my confidence a little bit.

Thanks for reading,
    Onwards and upwards. See you at the tables.
    edited June 2021
    Still early days @thedazzman , you'll start heading in the right direction soon I'm sure. The good thing is that you started the challenge with £250 so you have plenty of leeway in case things don't go to plan to begin with.

I note from an earlier post that you said that you wouldn't be playing cash games as part of the challenge. Do you have a back-up plan if you go on a bad run in tournaments or do you persevere with them? When I have a bad run, I sometimes move to cash games for a bit to rebuild confidence and grind some profit out of them, even if it's just 2p/4p games.
    edited June 2021
    Asho28 said:

Still early days @thedazzman , you'll start heading in the right direction soon I'm sure. The good thing is that you started the challenge with £250 so you have plenty of leeway in case things don't go to plan to begin with.

I note from an earlier post that you said that you wouldn't be playing cash games as part of the challenge. Do you have a back-up plan if you go on a bad run in tournaments or do you persevere with them? When I have a bad run, I sometimes move to cash games for a bit to rebuild confidence and grind some profit out of them, even if it's just 2p/4p games.

You are right, starting with £250 does give a bit of leeway, and although it's not the start I'd hope for, a couple of FT or a little win should undo the disappointing start. I'm still remaining upbeat.

Regarding cash games. I will probably avoid completely, unless there is a juicy promotion geared towards it. I've just never got into cash games, and it's too easy to lose a few buyins very quickly. Also, it's far more difficult to keep a record of results/stats, especially on Sky where tracking software doesn't work.

If things are going the wrong way, i'd probably persevere as much as possible - knowing that a win in pretty much any tournament can boost the BR significantly - but if I'm really looking for a change of scenery, it would probably be DYMs. I've played many thousands of them over the years and they're a bit easier to grind and mass-table without much serious thought.

Work commitments mean I can't play on Fridays (unless really late) and today was a busy day, so I didn't play over the last couple days. I'll probably play a couple of games tomorrow evening though, so hopefully I run a bit better and get a decent result to report back.

Good luck at the tables
    Day 3

There is a lesson to be learned from today's play.

I didn't play as many as intended. After a long day at work, I came home, had some dinner and settled. I late-regged for the 18:30 BH and busted sharpish, after my Aces lost... again to a drawn out two pair after chips went in.

That was frustrating as it happened 2 or 3 times in my last session. I tend not to post about bad beats and stuff. I know it happens the other way round sometimes as well (just not as often if you're putting your chips in ahead :)). Because I was a bit tired and felt I would now play bad, decided to give up for the night and unregister from the remaining tournaments I had joined. The Nightly Micro had already begun and the £2 Deep stack has just started, so had to persevere with those.

I some how managed to FT both to give us our first profitable day.

The lesson here, folks, is as long as you are playing well and still in a tournament or two, there is still a chance to come out with a decent run/prize. Busted/Finished tournaments are in the past and irrelevant.

I seem to recall this happened a few months ago when I busted all the MML games early on a Sunday, and unregistered from all to give up for the night. But after a break I re-registered for the Mini Major and late deepstack and won both.

As they say, a chip and a chair. Never give up.

Thanks for reading.
  • coo1-umcoo1-um Member Posts: 2,924
    Sure things will turn in the right direction soon, nice to get the first of many winning sessions on the board.

Stick with it.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,029

Hang in there Dazzy.
    edited June 2021
    ^^Thanks for the support guys^^

Day 4

I'm pleased to report I ran much better today, for another profitable day. Apart from the AIPF KK < AK in the 20:00 BH. That pot was worth about twice at much as 2nd place. Nevermind.

Best result so far tonight by reaching the 18:30 BH FT, ending with a 3rd. Having @MattBates [congrats on the win, bud] to your left, is never nice. This was a welcome boost to the BR.

There was a couple other near misses.

Is it just me or are the FTT games rather more difficult? Out of all the weeks I've played them I'm never anywhere near the places. Apart from one time. I'm adding that to the goals. To win another FTT weekly and a FTT monthly comp.

Not sure what or if I'll play tomorrow. Need to support my team, and all that.

Thanks for reading.

Great result in the 6:30pm BH @thedazzman - hopefully that will be a nice confidence-booster for you and get the ball rolling.

I've also have a wretched time on the Takedowns recently, so you're not alone.
    Day 5

Normally Tuesday's are a day I can play the most but by having to endure that lousy soccer match we only managed a few of the later tournaments. Although I did late-reg to the mini with a few minutes spare managing to quickly double my stack, but couldn't win a flip shortly after.

The run good continued in the other tourneys, earning myself a 1st and a 2nd, which boosted the bankroll even further. That's a profit streak of 3 days!!

It's amazing how a couple of positive results can make you enjoy playing that much more.

Start: 250
    Played: 31
    Staked: 84.70
    Winnings: 190.90
    Av. Stake: 2.73
    Av. Winnings: 6.16
    Av. ROI%: 181.22
    ITM: 9
    ROI%: 125.38
    ITM%: 28.13
    Profit: 106.20

CURRENT BR: 356.20

Thanks for reading.

Day 6

Backshifts on Wednesdays mean I can only play a few after 10pm. Tonight, the chosen two were both BH. Ran pretty well, building a decent stack until my KK ran into a flopped two pair in the 21:45. Typical it was against another larger stack. I managed a couple of bounties though, so not a 100% loss.

In the other £3 Turbo Bounty. I held a healthy stack for most of the tournament, earning a decent wad of change from bounties. But the business end of the FT the meaningful flips never fell in my favour.

Daily profit: 18.31
    Total profit: 124.51
    BR: 374.51

Thanks for reading.
  • PKRParPKRPar Member Posts: 2,233
    good stuff @thedazzman
    edited June 2021
    Day 7

Today I started a bit later than I would normally on a Thursday, so I missed a few of the lower buyin games from the early evening.

The day started pretty horribly, busting in the first few tournaments quite quickly resulting in having only one table open. I could have stopped and persevered with that one, however, I decided to up my table count. I've ran well recently, so why the heck not? (I get bored playing only the single table, you see, unless its a deep run). I joined the two £5 tournaments between 10-11pm until the £3 Turbo started at 11pm. That was either a stroke of genius or lady-luck on my side, because I managed another FT (3rd) in one - even better, the one now included in the MML schedule - for my only cash of the night, resulting in another positive day. That's now a daily profit streak of +5. Pleasing!

Another backshift tomorrow looms, so it'll either be a non-playing day or just a couple of the later tournaments like last night.

Daily Profit: 38.62
    Total Profit: 163.13

Current BR: 413.13

Thanks for reading.
    Day 8

There is some bad news and some good news today.

The bad news is that I had a -100% ROI from today's play. Couldn't muster up a single bounty, even getting the chips in after flopping top set and a AK vs AQ AIPF hand didn't work. I was close to one early on though, I doubled up, but the other player had 40 extra chips.

The good news is that I had only played 3 tournaments.

Swings and roundabouts.

Other than that, not a lot else to report for today.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, guys

Daily Profit: -14.30
    Total Profit: 148.83

Current BR: 398.83

Thanks for reading.