You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Thoughts on how to play this hand

malone02malone02 Member Posts: 9
edited February 2022 in Poker Chat
Hi i was deep in the Midnight Express last night when i came across a situation that i am slightly unsure about and would like some opinions on the best strategy to take.
The buy in for the tournament is £22+2 and 10 people get paid with min cash of £21 and 1st at £201 plus bounties. (see below pic)
As you can see from the picture below at the start of the hand I am in 3/12 with 19bbs and I'm in the sb with KxJx.
It is folded around to the Cut off who min raises with a stack of 10bbs. The button folds and its on me ( the Big Blind has 17bbs )

(I haven't played many hands vs the raiser but in an earlier spot he opened for a min raise utg and then called the re-shove shove for about 15bbs with Ax10x.)

Is it right to just shove all in over the top in this spot? Or is there a case for a flat call and sometimes even a fold? Like if I know he is calling close to 100% of the time would it still just be a shove anyway with the bounties included?

And then if i expanded it to an alternative situation where it was say a freezeout and slightly bigger value there for cashing, without the bounty value to consider?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,855

@malone02

Have moved this across to Poker Char where it will hopefully get more eyeballs.
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,484
    so if I understand right you have KJ and 17 blinds but if you shove this and lose an all in then you have 7 blinds?

my thoughts would be what is his range? I mean is he capable of min raising and then calling of with 98? for example? if your behind his overall range and you expect him to call widely then it seems like a fold. Especially since the money jumps etc.

I mean you could debate calling but then you are calling 1.5bb to win 5bb plus a potential 8 more bb. The question then would be do you think you can stack him if you hit a pair or better? and also the risk of been dominated or etc. How likely is the BB to squeeze?

I think going for the Bounties in the early stages makes a lot of sense in the latter stages its all about the money jumps. Unless a bounty is unusually large.
  • Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,473
    It’s ‘being’ for Gods sake
    Jac35 said:

the guy was asking for thoughts about how to play a poker hand not for English grammar lessons. There is no need to go after him jsut fro paw gramar.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,985
    Doubleme said:

Jac35 said:

the guy was asking for thoughts about how to play a poker hand not for English grammar lessons. There is no need to go after him jsut fro paw gramar.
    I understand where you are coming from.

However, the comment would have been stronger had you realised it was your grammar...

On the hand. Can make a case for all 3 options-very much player-dependant (both raiser and Big Blind). In a freezeout, I would lean towards a fold.

PS-it is definitely not "all about the money jumps". The bounties are equally important.
    Essexphil said:

Doubleme said:

Jac35 said:

However, the comment would have been stronger had you realised it was your grammar...

On the hand. Can make a case for all 3 options-very much player-dependant (both raiser and Big Blind). In a freezeout, I would lean towards a fold.

PS-it is definitely not "all about the money jumps". The bounties are equally important.
    I had realized that, I thought it was obvious. I think though the problem with OPs post is that it is all dependent on the player and their tendencies. Without knowing more we cannot be sure.
    I have seen casual players risk half their stack making a call with a hand which is highly likely to be dominated on a final table on more then one occasion. I would think surely it is better to try and win the tournament or finish top 3 then risk it all for a small bounty. I think though it will always be relative to what is your stack worth at that current time and what is the bounty worth and range vs range.

That is the issue here we are missing a lot of information to be able to say which play is the correct one.
  • malone02malone02 Member Posts: 9
    Doubleme said:

Essexphil said:

Doubleme said:

Jac35 said:

I had realized that, I thought it was obvious. I think though the problem with OPs post is that it is all dependent on the player and their tendencies. Without knowing more we cannot be sure.
    I have seen casual players risk half their stack making a call with a hand which is highly likely to be dominated on a final table on more then one occasion. I would think surely it is better to try and win the tournament or finish top 3 then risk it all for a small bounty. I think though it will always be relative to what is your stack worth at that current time and what is the bounty worth and range vs range.

That is the issue here we are missing a lot of information to be able to say which play is the correct one.

Thanks for your replies brother, yes unfortunately like i said i had very limited information available to me. However, i thought that the open call with Ace ten previously indicates that he isn't only playing the absolute premium hands there. I opted to fold because i assumed he was calling any shove but when i put this into a calculator it has a shove as optimum.
  • chico383chico383 Member Posts: 6

Actually, it's............

*God's*

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣