You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

HU 40BB effective

GervuscasGervuscas Member Posts: 54
edited April 2022 in Poker Chat
Hi everyone,

I had an interesting HU earlier where Villain was shoving 100% of hands and was wondering what people do in those spots.
In my head id set my calling range to the top 15% but i think this may be too tight?

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Will leave this for the HU ninjas to answer. Could throw an answer at this however would not do this question any justice. :)
  • CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Very quick answer anyway and will keep it very general, top 15% is definitely too tight.

A few variables there too, blind structure being one.
  • bencbenc Member Posts: 1,054
    Yeah think a bit more info needed to answer this properly, if i was playing a slow structure standard husng i'll happily pass up slight +ev calls factoring in the likelihood of getting a better spot with higher ev whilst still deep. Out of curiosity I just quickly clicked in a range that i'd intuitively snap call if i know they're jamming 100% and it was still 26% all Ax, k9o+, k9s+,q10o+,q9s+,jqo+,j10s+ 66+ so yeah 15% will be way too tight whatever the scenario i think.
  • GervuscasGervuscas Member Posts: 54
    Thanks for the responses,

It was in an MTT and blinds were 10 minutes, we were at 500/1000 and stack were 40k:80k at the point i realized they were just going to shove 100% of hands.

i knew it would be too tight but without the experience i wasn't really sure where i should be at. my feeling at the time was i could allow myself to lose 5-10BB waiting for those hands and then get it in real strong.

cheers for the advice though its definitely something to consider

• bencbenc Member Posts: 1,054
    Download equilab (it's free just google it) work out what % equity you'd want to feel happy getting it in then mess around with some calling ranges to see what that roughly would look like. For example that range i put above is 62.08% against any 2.

• TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,129
    Could I add that if this was in a bounty hunter also figure villains bounty into any odds you're calculating. In a B.H I'm probably calling with top 35% but then again I'm very loose in those events.

Freezeouts more like 20% unless I have notes or past history.
  • FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 824
    edited April 2022
    I feel like if you know the guy is shoving 100% and is going to continue to do so the best way to punish them is calling off hands that are really crushing that 100% range. I personally think you should be going tighter than 25% when it's a one and done type spot with no rebuys. On average it takes 3bb waiting for a top 25% hand which really isn't much, I think you can afford to be a touch more patient. I think in game I'd probably be waiting for A8o A5s, KJo, KTs, QJs, 66.