You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Should a bounty prize make a difference

TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,157
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Hi all.

When we are playing in the middle / later stages of a bounty hunter and the bounty prizes are 3 or 4 times the buy in or more should we be opening our range slightly to try and win these or just continue trying to win the comp and taking them all that way ?. I only ask because it always seems that K.O. or BH tourneys are looser than standard MTTs.

Just asking because Im going to start playing several each day.

Yours in poker

Mark

Comments

• Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    No, fold QQ pre
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Sorry, couldn't resist :smile:

Think you've answered your own question though, gl op!
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    If you are not actively trying to win bounties you are missing out on 50% of the prizepool.
  • Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534
    Bounty’s should be used in your all in spots as part of the ev. If prizepool is 50% bounty and you collect 50% starting stack is 3k then each starting bounty is worth 1.5k chips to you.... simplified version but you can see how it changes pot odds.
    Marginal spots become more valuable in bounty hunters
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,032
    Itsover4u said:

Bounty’s should be used in your all in spots as part of the ev. If prizepool is 50% bounty and you collect 50% starting stack is 3k then each starting bounty is worth 1.5k chips to you.... simplified version but you can see how it changes pot odds.

Further to this Mark, I won FTT 3 (BH) last night and won more in bounties than I did the 1st place prize money

SidV79 228000 1 £22.04 + £35.64 Head Prizes 15
    innit 0 2 £14.44 + £8.28 Head Prizes 8
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,523
    SidV79 said:

Itsover4u said:

Further to this Mark, I won FTT 3 (BH) last night and won more in bounties than I did the 1st place prize money

You do know there is a Brags, Beats & Variance section on the Forum right?

B) .....well done btw.
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,032
    MAXALLY said:

SidV79 said:

Itsover4u said:

B) .....well done btw.
    Thanks Max and yes I do lol. Although I was not intending it to be a brag as I was just giving an example of what Itsover4u said with this being a 50% BH, unlike most others on here which are 75/25 % split.

Andy

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,157
    I absolutely get it. Placed 3rd in Fri 11pm £5.50 bh and got almost as much in heads as I did for the spot. Increased my calling range by about 20% and you guys as usual were spot on.

Yours in poker.
  • Options
    JJBinksJJBinks Member Posts: 440
    Just finished a lot of studying/coaching work on this area, and can tell you it was a big leak in my game, the ranges I have worked on and constructed for stacking off in 20 -30 B.B. range are wider than I would have ever believed when I started to play bounty knockout MTTs including multiway stack off spots. It was a huge leak in my game.
  • Options
    WNPWNP Member Posts: 8
    Probably a stupid question, but I'm fairly new to poker and trying to learn...

If you win a bounty hunter tournament, do you get win your own head value as well as the prize for first place? If not then it means the house is taking a bigger cut of the prize fund?

E.g. 2 players enter, paying £20 + £2 entry fee, and both start with £10 head value and £20 goes to the prize money.

Player 1 knocks out player 2. He collects £7.50, and £2.50 is added to his head value to give him a head value of £12.50.

Now if he doesn't collect his own head value, he only wins £27.50. So surely he also collect the £12.50 for his own head to take the winnings to £40.

I think I might have just answered my own question....

• Options
    K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    If you win a bounty hunter you win whats on your own head. Correct :D
  • Options
    WNPWNP Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, probably a long while before its something I have to be too worried about anyway! :D
  • Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,806
    Post this first then look at the others but 100% yes. Its half the prize pool for one and I think even more than other MTTs you have to watch other players for what their tendencies are for trying to get bounties. You can often pick up other players bounties who are calling light to get the short stacks head.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    SidV79 said:

MAXALLY said:

SidV79 said:

Itsover4u said:

B) .....well done btw.
    Thanks Max and yes I do lol. Although I was not intending it to be a brag as I was just giving an example of what Itsover4u said with this being a 50% BH, unlike most others on here which are 75/25 % split.

Andy

Bragger! (lol)
  • Options
    DazlerDazler Member Posts: 3,970
    edited March 2019
    DONT GET GREEDY AND MAKE SURE YOUR STACK IS BIGGER THAN EVERYONE ELSES! if you lose tighten up and rebuild your stack so your back in control and can take more bounties. (rinse and repeat) :) Be carful if you call a short stack shove and other big stacks are behind you! you dont wanna be in the position that they re-shove on you because you flat called it and you are now committed with an average hand. If your strong then isolate the bounty by re-raising or shoving to get them out of calling with drawing hands. Keep your cool and DONT get carried away because you see a bounty up for grabs (learn to sometimes let it go and dont double them up) the further you progress the higher the bounties anyway and the more you will get if you dont play recklessly along the way. ALWAYS MAKE NOTES ;) If your focus is on winning the tournament the bounties will come naturally.

P.S I so really wanna brag about the last one i played but I wont hehe :) gl