You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Flips

Scottex99Scottex99 Member Posts: 5
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Been playing a fair amount of Bounty MTTs recently with semi-decent success. If I could stop wasting all my winnings on stupid request-a-bets then I'd be doing just fine!
So, Flips. Apart from avoiding horrible beats, winning flips is pretty crucial to going deep in Tourneys in my opinion.

How do others go about it? Obviously bounties add an extra element hence why you see the more fishy players, shoving or calling their whole stacks with QJ and A8.

I don't mind getting all my money in pre flop with AK or prob JJ/QQ/KK/AA, in relation to stacks and blinds and players previously play etc. But if you're raising UTG with 99, blinds are quite high, get shoved back on from a stack shorter than you, amazing to see 88 or A7 or something but probs it'll be AJ or maybe KQ suited. So you know that, and you know you are calling, and you know if you win 4 or 5 of these flips in the same tourney you'll be doing well, but you could quite easily lose them all.

I'm not sure what my Question really is but I imagine the more talented players just try to avoid any all in's pre flop without AK or QQ minimum?

Scored a ticket for Sunday Major tomorrow night, first time playing it, maybe see some of you there.

Cheers

Scott

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,642

@Scottex99

Hi Scott,

Good luck in the Sunday Major, I'll keep an eye out to see how you do.

As to your question, I'll leave that to better & older & better players than me.

Good to see you on the Forum, hope you hang out here more often.
  • Options
    Summers119Summers119 Member Posts: 193
    This is quite a complex question but 50% of the prize pool is for bounties so therefore you need to try and win them with wider hands than just JJ+ and AQ+. For instance, in the the early game, if a 10bb stack from the button shoves and you have 40bb in the big blind and therefore cover for a bounty, you should probably call any ace, all broadway hands, all pairs, even hands like 98 suited.

In a freezeout however the range should be tighter but you can still comfortably call 60-70% of the hands stated above as the 10bb will still shove a lot of hands, so a hand like A8 will do fine.

This requires practice though and I would recommend having a look at Snapshove which helps you figure out what you can shove based on your stack and what you can call shoves with.

Good luck with the Sunday Major though, hope you enjoy it!
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for the info, will have a look at Snapshove for sure. I wrote the question pretty purely, wasn't specifically meaning just Bounty Tourneys but that is mainly what I play.

Major was eventful, played well early on and made it up to 50k in chips, was probably in the top 6 for about an hour. Then self destructed in two hands back to back and lost all my chips. Stupid by me but probably better than getting rivered by a 2 outer!

One player re-bought 4 times on my table, must have a tidy bankroll. Well, bigger than mine anyway!
  • Options
    No worries just only thing to note is that Snapshove calling ranges assume that the player shoving, they are going all in with the correct hands, so call slightly tighter against tight opponents etc. but it gives a good overview.

Unlucky on Sunday Major, getting up to 50k is pretty good. Post the two hands you were on about if you want and I (and others) will look through them.
  • Options
    Yeah, I was excited for a while! Nice to know I can play with the big boys and played more or less the same I do in a £10 buy in. First hand I actually went to bluff then thought better of it thinking it wouldn't get through. checked down and could have easily had it. 2nd was an extremely stupid bluff by me and run into a monster.

It's a leak in my game sometimes. Built a big stack and when it takes a 50% hit, just donk away the rest fairly quickly!

Will try to qualify through the freeroll again for sure.
  • Options
    Yeah I know the feeling, I built a huge stack in a live game the other week, and lost half of it in a cooler. I was still way above average after that but was a little tilted so punted the rest off in a bad bluff spot. We both just got to remember to stay patient I guess.

Good luck at the tables.