You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

worst run ever for 6 years

cant understand how this is actually happening, cashed in 3 out of last 20 dyms £3stakes . apart from one game losing to absolute rubbish calls by other players or being called by someone chasing and hitting on the river. has anyone else had this type of run and did they bounce back mentally., like to hear from happy constructive ideas.

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,475

@benhur7200

Keep your chin up bud, it happens to everyone.

It feels never-ending, but in reality it rarely lasts long and it can turn very quickly. And boy oh boy, it'll feel good when it turns.

GL chap.
  • Options
    Kufem2Kufem2 Member Posts: 7
    Come over to the Omaha hilo sngs more strategy and not about daft bluffs you might turn things around with a different strategy, play a few games then go back to hold em maybe with a fresh attitude tho tbh i personally can't be doing with hol
  • Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534

cant understand how this is actually happening, cashed in 3 out of last 20 dyms £3stakes . apart from one game losing to absolute rubbish calls by other players or being called by someone chasing and hitting on the river. has anyone else had this type of run and did they bounce back mentally., like to hear from happy constructive ideas.

20 games is nothing Iv had months and months of losing before. You just have to continue to make the most ev decision you believe possible and keep grinding.

Take a break watch some strat videos go again
  • Options
    DazlerDazler Member Posts: 3,970
    had over a 1 thousand game bad streak but I had a 4 thousand good streak before it, I wasn't playing bad it just happens. It can really put you off the game but you just have to take a break and get back on it when your ready. Dont concentrate on the bad run concentrate on how well you have done in the past. Sit and goes were the main area i was loosing when i started so now stick to mtts for my profit. 3 outta 20 isnt that bad in the grand scheme of things. Its better than 0 outta 20. Keep positive its a learning curve and we all go through it.
  • Options
    jugglegeekjugglegeek Member Posts: 623
    The most important thing I've learnt is to keep doing what you've always done regardless of results. I just went on a wild ride of up 15 BI at NL4 and back down to -4BI over the course of 7,000 hands!

My problem was that when I was crushing it I thought it would never end. "30BB/100 is my winrate" against these donks that play NL4. I'll be crushing NL50 in a few months at this rate. I was making bad/questionable calls from time to time, but it was ok because that diamond would always come on the turn to give me the flush and the vilian would always pay me off with 2nd pair.

Then I had a few break even sessions, card dead. When I made a hand everyone folded. Or I would be forced to make a big fold with two pair because the board was:
    AdQdJcTd6d

Then I ran KK into AA twice in a session

Then I had a meltdown. I basically started thinking that the game "owed" me. I've had my bad luck for this month now. It doesn't matter that I have 44 out of possition vs a 3bet, I'll call and hit my set because "I'm so due man!". I'd literally find myself calling with 3rd pair saying "there's no way he can have it this time, not again".

Then I started playing, longer sessions at times of the day when I wouldn't normally play. Then I thought I'll play more tables, just to grind through this rough patch. Get some volume in and return to my 30bb/100 days. six-tableing on Sky Poker with 10 seconds per decision and no timebank is not a good way to win at poker. At any stakes.

Basically my mentality could best be summed up as the roulette player who has just lost eight times in a row saying I'm going to double up my bets now because I'm so due a winning streak.

The best players at this game just play their A-game, to a schedule, and approach each session or SnG in the same logical way. "I'll play these hands, in these possitions, in these ways and expolit my opponents' leaks". Losing and winning money is just something that happens
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    edited April 2019
    "...concentrate on how well you have done in the past..."

"The most important thing I've learnt is to keep doing what you've always done regardless of results"

I really like the other points you guys have made here but I feel like I have to draw attention to the above statements. I think this way of thinking is flawed - especially with regards to poker and attempting to maintain or even improve upon win rates you've experienced in the past. Poker is constantly evolving and at a faster rate currently than it probably ever has before. As the elite players (with the aid of increasingly sophisticated computer programmes) get closer to 'solving' the game (there's an argument, however, that 6 handed+ NLH can't be solved because the game tree is too big and there are too many variables) there is a trickle down effect facilitated through various and growing forms of poker content (magazine/online articles, YouTube channels, Twitch streams) which means that more and more recreational players at the lowest stakes (you, me, most of us) are soaking up this information and have a decently solid idea of how to approach the game (implemented with varying degrees of success admittedly). Even just one of this new breed of recreational player at your 6 max table is going to hurt your win rate and your game, that may have been good and winning for its time, may be break-even or even losing in todays climate*.

*it might not be :)
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,299
    Great post...as a purely rec player, I haven’t got around to using any software aids-hand odds calculator- when I’m playing as I feel as though I haven’t got time during a hand to input...I’d rather watch the betting trends/amounts to try to assess my position...is it 8-10 seconds?

Maybe I should make the time?.....CBA!