You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Leeds v Villa incident

waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,012
What's everyone's thoughts about the incident during the Leeds v Villa game?

It was probably unsportsmanlike for Leeds to not kick the ball out and go on to score, but you could also argue that Villa should play to the whistle. It wasn't a head injury therefore there is no reason for the game to be stopped. In fact during the recent Manchester derby the pundits were saying they should not kick the ball out during a similar incident.

Would have been interesting to see if the Leeds boss would have gifted Villa the equaliser if they were still in the automatic promotion hunt.

Comments

• waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,012
    Yeah I probably should have posted the clip lol.

I think Leeds were generous to gift the equaliser to be honest. I think the ref handled the situation poorly too. Had to laugh at John "No morals" Terry's reaction though.

One thing you're always taught when you first start playing football as a kid is "play to the whistle".
    edited April 2019
    lucy4 said:
    What's your view on the incident? Do you think Leeds were morally obliged to gift the equaliser?
  • BoxsterBoxster Member Posts: 4,460
    Respect to Leeds manager tbh. Certainly usual dirty Leeds tactics and in particular disgusting behaviour by Jansson. Hope Leeds get to play off finals and LOSE lol.
    I'm not sure I agree. There was that incident few years ago (I can't remember the team or player) where after the opposition had kicked the ball out and instead of giving them possession back they took the throw in and scored. That was disgusting.

In this case I think Villa and the ref are to blame. It doesn't help when time and time again a player goes down "injured" and the opposition kick the ball out of play only for the player to be back on his feet and fine within seconds.

I think the only way to avoid a repeat of this incident is for the ref to halt the game if he thinks a player is down and injured. As it stands it's only head injuries that halt the game?
    waller02 said:

I'm not sure I agree. There was that incident few years ago (I can't remember the team or player) where after the opposition had kicked the ball out and instead of giving them possession back they took the throw in and scored. That was disgusting.

In this case I think Villa and the ref are to blame. It doesn't help when time and time again a player goes down "injured" and the opposition kick the ball out of play only for the player to be back on his feet and fine within seconds.

I think the only way to avoid a repeat of this incident is for the ref to halt the game if he thinks a player is down and injured. As it stands it's only head injuries that halt the game?

It was obvious a 'bluff' pass that looked like it was going out but the guy took it and scored. It was Jansson after the kick off that was the only player that attempted to stop the goal as instructed by his Leeds manager, and he got a Villa player sent off.
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 6,972
    waller02 said:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=whO5GAFBp30
    Boxster said:

waller02 said:

It was obvious a 'bluff' pass that looked like it was going out but the guy took it and scored. It was Jansson after the kick off that was the only player that attempted to stop the goal as instructed by his Leeds manager, and he got a Villa player sent off.
    Yeah Jansson didn't make a good account of himself. I dont know why the ref didn't just stop play himself as soon as it was obvious that Leeds were playing on.
    lucy4 said:

waller02 said:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=whO5GAFBp30
    That's the one, cheers.

Now that one is definitely out of order, no doubt about that one.
    As already stated respect to the Leeds manager for the instructions to his players.But I think it's a case of 'Six of one and half a dozen of the other'. Both sides could be argued for and against but I agree that the Ref didn't handle the situation very well.
  • ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 903
    edited April 2019
    I think the Villa players' gripe was that they'd kicked the ball out less than 10 minutes prior to to that in the same circumstances when a Leeds player was injured so they expected that to be reciprocated. That said it bugs the **** out of me when teams expect the ball to be put out when one of their players goes down injured, especially when the laws of the game say there's no requirement to do so, unless it's a head injury in which case the ref should stop it.

And it was Patrick Bamford who got the Villa player sent off with a disgraceful dive when there was no contact made, the red card should be rescinded and retrospective action taken against Bamford.

Also as a general point I'd much rather teams like Leeds, Villa, Derby, Forest were in the PL than most of the bottom half, there really is some absolute dross in the bottom half of the EPL.
  • 68Trebor68Trebor Member Posts: 1,943

I think what made it worse was the fact that 5 mins beforehand Villa had kicked the ball out when a Leeds player was down.
    As for Bamford where do you start.

I think the Villa players' gripe was that they'd kicked the ball out less than 10 minutes prior to to that in the same circumstances when a Leeds player was injured so they expected that to be reciprocated. That said it bugs the **** out of me when teams expect the ball to be put out when one of their players goes down injured, especially when the laws of the game say there's no requirement to do so, unless it's a head injury in which case the ref should stop it.

And it was Patrick Bamford who got the Villa player sent off with a disgraceful dive when there was no contact made, the red card should be rescinded and retrospective action taken against Bamford.

Also as a general point I'd much rather teams like Leeds, Villa, Derby, Forest were in the PL than most of the bottom half, there really is some absolute dross in the bottom half of the EPL.

And the Villa player is banned for any play off games.
    edited April 2019
    The red card should be rescinded, I agree.

The whole incident certainly spices things up should they meet in the play offs. Fwiw I reckon Villa will be the ones having the last laugh at the end of the season.
    waller02 said:

The red card should be rescinded, I agree.

The whole incident certainly spices things up should they meet in the play offs. Fwiw I reckon Villa will be the ones having the last laugh at the end of the season.

Hopefully
  • goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,789
    you can't pretend/feign that you are going to stop the play, which he clearly did, then play a through ball to put your striker through on goal....

fair play to bielsa to order the goal.

Bamford should/must be banned for 3 games imo, absolute embarrassment