You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Building a good stack then to lose it to a bad beat, but should I have called for my tourney life?

Danyo0Danyo0 Member Posts: 170
I called on the flop to see what would come on other streets as had an incline either ak or jj-aa, but feel I got punished for the other players mistake or I'm I being too harsh thinking that? However relatively early on, was it really worth my tournament life with 2 pair at that stage, or is a fold too nitty?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
bagshaw07Small blind100.00100.003125.00
LEEDSTIMBig blind200.00300.001545.00
Your hole cards
  • Q
Danyo0Raise500.00800.0016660.00
jammy666Fold
JammyBeeRaise800.001600.0018268.75
bagshaw07Fold
LEEDSTIMFold
Danyo0Call300.001900.0016360.00
Flop
Danyo0Check
JammyBeeBet1600.003500.0016668.75
Danyo0Call1600.005100.0014760.00
Turn
  • Q
Danyo0Check
JammyBeeAll-in16668.7521768.750.00
Danyo0All-in14760.0036528.750.00
JammyBeeUnmatched bet1908.7534620.001908.75
Danyo0Show
  • Q
JammyBeeShow
  • K
  • K
River
JammyBeeWinTwo Pairs, Kings and 2s34620.0036528.75

Comments

• Options
    I called pre as the 3 bet was cheap, I'm big stack so increasing my opening range due to being bh. I know there is other aspects like why play q10 in the first place from UTG, but I had assinged gambling chips hoping to get bounties from lower stacked players etc.
  • Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534
    q10o is on the looser side of opening utg - It is also a fold to a 3 bet although you can kind of justify calling the click back as this is usually a monster and you can stack them if you hit big.

You have to get it in on the turn everytime
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    edited July 2019
    The open is marginal but maybe justified for the reasons you said and I suppose it isn't terrible just calling off the rest vs the 8bb stack of the big blind if it folds through to him and he shoves even though we're at the absolute bottom of our opening range. It's a bit spewy though even when we are so deep and we can just choose better hands to open from the LJ.

I think it's better just to fold with the bottom of our opening range when we are opening from LJ and HJ against players 3 betting these spots when they often just show up with hands that dominate us. The price is cheap, yes, but we're OOP and we will rarely smash the flop especially against a range that will oftentimes also block our potential to flop straights and pair + straight draws (and being offsuit we don't have great flush potential and making a Q high T high flush on a 4 flush board isn't that attractive in these spots either). We then run the risk of flopping top pairs on benign looking flops and not being able to fold even to large c-bets... what do you do when you call flop and the turn is the 2c in this spot for example and he continues to bet?
    It's just not an attractive spot with QTo.

As played you have turned the effective nuts (you block both QQ and TT heavily and TT might not 3 bet you pre in this spot) and obviously it's a snap call.
  • Options
    MynaFrett said:

The open is marginal but maybe justified for the reasons you said and I suppose it isn't terrible just calling off the rest vs the 8bb stack of the big blind if it folds through to him and he shoves even though we're at the absolute bottom of our opening range. It's a bit spewy though even when we are so deep and we can just choose better hands to open from the LJ.

I think it's better just to fold with the bottom of our opening range when we are opening from LJ and HJ against players 3 betting these spots when they often just show up with hands that dominate us. The price is cheap, yes, but we're OOP and we will rarely smash the flop especially against a range that will oftentimes also block our potential to flop straights and pair + straight draws (and being offsuit we don't have great flush potential and making a Q high T high flush on a 4 flush board isn't that attractive in these spots either). We then run the risk of flopping top pairs on benign looking flops and not being able to fold even to large c-bets... what do you do when you call flop and the turn is the 2c in this spot for example and he continues to bet?
    It's just not an attractive spot with QTo.

As played you have turned the effective nuts (you block both QQ and TT heavily and TT might not 3 bet you pre in this spot) and obviously it's a snap call.

I agree with everything you say, but you know me I like having that polarised range lol :P.

I called initially to save face as it was a UTG raise, on the flop I call to see what they do on the next street maybe they have ak (i fold to most bets if a q or 10 doesnt appear on that turn). Unsure if it was just me but a jam felt strange/weak , were they too scared of the draws or hoping to cash in on me hitting the q?
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    "I called initially to save face as it was a UTG raise"

Don't do that, just fold the bottom of your range.
    If you feel like a dynamic is being created, though, where player(s) at your table might feel you are opening too wide and over-folding to 3 bets and so are 3 betting you frequently (noticeably more frequently than is standard) then you can adjust by turning some suitable hands into 4 bet bluffs to counter this.