You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

SPT Grand Final November 2019

superslosuperslo Member Posts: 10
Hi, I know this is early but I was wondering what the satellite schedule will be for this year's Grand Final in Manchester in November. I know it is usual for the satellites to be released about 4-6 weeks before the event, but if it could be earlier that would be great to avoid qualifying descending into more of a crapshoot.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,129

Hi @superslo

I don't have the dates yet, but it's highly improbable that they will run Satellites to the Manchester Grand Final until after SPT Nottingham is out of the way. SPT Notts is 4th to 6th October, so I would assume that SPT Manchester Grand Final satellites will start as soon as Notts is done & dusted - probably w/c 7th October, certainly no later than w/c 14th October.

I'll ask the question in the Office, & let you know if they have anything more specific to offer.
  • Options

@superslo

Well I tried to cover all bases in my reply & still managed to miss the target.....

I've now spoken to Lord of the Sats Sky__James & he tells me that Satellites for SPT Manchester GF will start on 21st October & will run for 4 weeks.

Good luck, & hope to see you there.
  • Options
    Haha, thanks for the quick reply. I know it's unlikely, but is there any way to move the date forwards so that we have 5 or 6 weeks to qualify? I appreciate these dates that might be fixed, but from a player's side the more time to qualify the better obviously.

Thanks again
  • Options
    superslo said:

Haha, thanks for the quick reply. I know it's unlikely, but is there any way to move the date forwards so that we have 5 or 6 weeks to qualify? I appreciate these dates that might be fixed, but from a player's side the more time to qualify the better obviously.

Thanks again

Hi @superslo

I would imagine there is a good reason they have chosen that qualifying period & dates, but yes, I'll certainly pass on your comments.
  • Options
    cheers really appreciate it, great customer support, top notch :)
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,162
    edited August 2019
    Tikay10 said:

@superslo

Well I tried to cover all bases in my reply & still managed to miss the target.....

I've now spoken to Lord of the Sats Sky__James & he tells me that Satellites for SPT Manchester GF will start on 21st October & will run for 4 weeks.

Good luck, & hope to see you there.

It would be great to have a bigger opportunity to qualify, as it sounds like this will be the very last SKYPOKER SPT ( :'(:'( )....... Could be a great 'End of Term' Party .... if we can get the Majority there :);)
  • Options

The flip side of having a longer qualifying period is that it depends on liquidity. Extending the period MIGHT mean the Business loses money on the qualifying, whereas condensing the period negates that loss.

The Brighton sats have probably lost a bunch of money, which would have been less if the qualifying period were condensed.

So maybe it's a double-edged sword, & this was in @Sky__James thinking.
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,028
    Hi Tikay, whilst not knowing the liquidity of the sats over either a four or six week period I would have thought that the qualifying period would have been extended, therefore nullifying the chance of overlay, which is what occurred last year (£12,500 iirc). In my humble opinion last year there were not enough chances to win a seat to the Grand Final, I think there were, maybe, two finals(?), which caused the overlay to happen. I would not like to be in @Sky__James shoes, having to decide on the best way forward, to maximise income from the sats against the number of seats offered for the Grand Final.
    Anyway, I echo what @MISTY4ME has said as it most definitely could be a great "End of Term" party. Hope I can make it this year but will probably go just to see everyone.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. Last SPT, say it ain't so!
  • Options
    HANSONHANSON Member Posts: 896
    I've gone thru Tikays response to the ? asked and at no point has he mentioned the SPTs are over . where are people reading that they are finished this year or has there been a announcement made that I've missed .. if true will be great lose to many rec players like myself ..
  • Options
    HANSON said:

I've gone thru Tikays response to the ? asked and at no point has he mentioned the SPTs are over . where are people reading that they are finished this year or has there been a announcement made that I've missed .. if true will be great lose to many rec players like myself ..

Hi Will and All..... nowhere has it been mentioned that the SPT's are finishing..... but when the T&C's have 'changed' (I think), to say that any seats won and not used in 2019, will be forfeited, doesn't augur well for next year's SPT, and speaks volumes when 'reading between the lines' as to the future of SPT'S. I do really hope it isn't so, but I'm sure we will get to know soon enough.
    Should I be fortunate and have any SPT SEATS left over, it would be lovely to put them towards the SPT Grand Final in Manchester this November

.....here's hoping :)
  • Options
    Rec player, lol, Hanson you are a well-established regular in the SPT streets my friend. I totally agree it would be a crying shame if the SPT disappeared. The way it is run, the people involved (everyone organising it and Neil Channing and crew) and the players represent in my view the best of British poker. Regardless of what has happened to the poker ecosystem (through the early 2000s when money was pouring in) or since the post-Black Friday recession the people involved on all sides are here purely for the love of the game (and okay, yes, the prizepools). Recreational players are catered to in a fun and friendly environment and nobody is harking on at them for making quote on quote bad plays or any stupid stuff like that which happens in some places.

I also want to check if the SPT’s are to disappear, will the Sky Poker site be okay? I saw news of mergers with Pokerstars breaking a few years ago, which would be awful in my view. Keep everything the same (just sometimes very rarely give me more than 10 secs to make river decisions in cash games aaarrghh). I do love the fast play in general though so no worries.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    Stars bought Sky a while back.
    That's why we fear for SPT/Sky's future...
  • Options
    Yeah, but it's not aligned with stars player pools or anything like that so that's great. That's what I don't want to see, would ruin the site.
  • Options

Given that the question has been asked......

I genuinely have no idea if the SPT's will run next year. In fact I doubt anyone knows, & if they have, they have not shared that news with me. However, given the change of ownership, & lack of clarity going forward, it would be irresponsible to allow players to carry SPT seats forward to 2020. Personally, I'm a "never give up" sort. In a 2 horse race, it is odds against, but I'm never afraid to take on the favourite.

As to Sky Poker itself, same answer really. Logically, & as many of you have worked out, it boils down to 2 likely scenarios. I don't know any more than that, but I remain full of hope that it will work out OK.

I should add that my current Line Managers - Sam & James - are the best bosses I've had here, as I approach my 14th year at Sky Poker, & both have always been 100% up-front with me. After being my own boss most of my life, it's a bit odd working for 2 guys so young. James is less than a quarter of my age, & Sam is around 10 or 15 years my junior.

So there you go, I've told you nothing, but I've told you everything I know.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    Tikay10 said:

Given that the question has been asked......

I genuinely have no idea if the SPT's will run next year. In fact I doubt anyone knows, & if they have, they have not shared that news with me. However, given the change of ownership, & lack of clarity going forward, it would be irresponsible to allow players to carry SPT seats forward to 2020. Personally, I'm a "never give up" sort. In a 2 horse race, it is odds against, but I'm never afraid to take on the favourite.

As to Sky Poker itself, same answer really. Logically, & as many of you have worked out, it boils down to 2 likely scenarios. I don't know any more than that, but I remain full of hope that it will work out OK.

I should add that my current Line Managers - Sam & James - are the best bosses I've had here, as I approach my 14th year at Sky Poker, & both have always been 100% up-front with me. After being my own boss most of my life, it's a bit odd working for 2 guys so young. James is less than a quarter of my age, & Sam is around 10 or 15 years my junior.

So there you go, I've told you nothing, but I've told you everything I know.

James is only 25?

Seriously, someone should be inviting Stars to Brighton this week, so they can see how to run a mid-stakes tournament.

Hope the outsider romps home....
  • Options
    edited August 2019

This is the one I liked...... Sam looks good for 75.... must be the Yorkshire Air.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Friday :)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies and info supplied here. Just wanted to add one more thing, is there any way for satellites for the grand final to run at an earlier time than 21:45? They run way past my bed time and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Not sure how feasible that would be, but thought I might as well ask.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    superslo said:

Rec player, lol, Hanson you are a well-established regular in the SPT streets my friend. I totally agree it would be a crying shame if the SPT disappeared. The way it is run, the people involved (everyone organising it and Neil Channing and crew) and the players represent in my view the best of British poker. Regardless of what has happened to the poker ecosystem (through the early 2000s when money was pouring in) or since the post-Black Friday recession the people involved on all sides are here purely for the love of the game (and okay, yes, the prizepools). Recreational players are catered to in a fun and friendly environment and nobody is harking on at them for making quote on quote bad plays or any stupid stuff like that which happens in some places.

I also want to check if the SPT’s are to disappear, will the Sky Poker site be okay? I saw news of mergers with Pokerstars breaking a few years ago, which would be awful in my view. Keep everything the same (just sometimes very rarely give me more than 10 secs to make river decisions in cash games aaarrghh). I do love the fast play in general though so no worries.

Sorry...superslop..have to disagree...@hanson's a donkey.. >:);) everything else is cool!