You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

My SPT Notts day 2 exit hand.....

TheSawTheSaw Member Posts: 75
I generally know when I’ve played a hand badly and tend not to dwell on past mistakes (of which there are plenty), but my exit hand from the recent Nottingham SPT event is troubling me……..
I made it through to day 2, along with 49 others, with a stack of 128k. I believe average was around 85k. 26 got paid.
Early day 2 - blinds were 1.5k/3k with a 3k BB ante. After a couple of orbits I found myself with circa 100k and on the button with A8 suited (clubs) . Action folded round to me, I put in a raise to 8k. The SB folded but the BB, who had around 170k, put in a re-raise to 21k. Now I should mention I’d just lost a small pot to the raiser in the previous hand, so although there was a chance he had a genuine 4bet hand, I figured he might be also be putting me on a button ‘steal’ to recover chips just lost. I decided to call in position and see a flop. The flop came 10,5,5 with 2 clubs and the BB bet just over half pot.
Now with the nut flush draw it seemed either shove or fold scenario.
Other than 10 10 which I’m obviously dead to, I figured worst case scenario (against an overpair), I’m a 40% dog at worst, but as I’d be shoving my remaining 80k to win c200k (assuming a call), I’d be getting equivalent odds. Additionally when I factored in that I would probably get a fold from AK,AQ, AJ, 99, 88, then the shove seemed a reasonable option.
I shoved, the BB called with JJ and the rest is history.
Now, there are much better players than me out there who I’m often happy to get my chips in against on a coin flip, so I’m not beating myself up too much. But that said, any thoughts or constructive comments regarding the play would be welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,591
    Doyle Brunson quote "never chase a flush with a pair on the board"
    TheSaw said:

I generally know when I’ve played a hand badly and tend not to dwell on past mistakes (of which there are plenty), but my exit hand from the recent Nottingham SPT event is troubling me……..
    I made it through to day 2, along with 49 others, with a stack of 128k. I believe average was around 85k. 26 got paid.
    Early day 2 - blinds were 1.5k/3k with a 3k BB ante. After a couple of orbits I found myself with circa 100k and on the button with A8 suited (clubs) . Action folded round to me, I put in a raise to 8k. The SB folded but the BB, who had around 170k, put in a re-raise to 21k. Now I should mention I’d just lost a small pot to the raiser in the previous hand, so although there was a chance he had a genuine 4bet hand, I figured he might be also be putting me on a button ‘steal’ to recover chips just lost. I decided to call in position and see a flop. The flop came 10,5,5 with 2 clubs and the BB bet just over half pot.
    Now with the nut flush draw it seemed either shove or fold scenario.
    Other than 10 10 which I’m obviously dead to, I figured worst case scenario (against an overpair), I’m a 40% dog at worst, but as I’d be shoving my remaining 80k to win c200k (assuming a call), I’d be getting equivalent odds. Additionally when I factored in that I would probably get a fold from AK,AQ, AJ, 99, 88, then the shove seemed a reasonable option.
    I shoved, the BB called with JJ and the rest is history.
    Now, there are much better players than me out there who I’m often happy to get my chips in against on a coin flip, so I’m not beating myself up too much. But that said, any thoughts or constructive comments regarding the play would be welcomed.

Doyle Brunson quote "never chase a flush with a pair on the board" always seems good advice to me. Not that it would have covered this scenario but that's poker.
  • Options
    FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 824
    This is one of our best case scenario flops, If we're contemplating not continuing here we shouldn't be defending preflop. You have to go broke here. Preflop people 3bet this spot so so tight, but your pot odds are also so so good. Sometimes it's your time to die.
  • Options
    rspca12rspca12 Member Posts: 617
    If u call pre have to get it all in on that flop.