You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Double Your Money Sit and Go's

SpikeladSpikelad Member Posts: 406
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi Tikay,i would like to know your opinion on the skill factor involved in playing DDYM Sit and Go's compared to cash,tournaments or deepstacks.

Comments

• Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited February 2010
    There is a particular skill sett which is keep tight until 4th and then apply preasure in unraised pots. Skill is different from every other one you mentioned as your only trying to get 3rd, never playing to win which means you play 0 marginal situations and just sit on your stack.

Great way to learn the game when your starting out though
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,024
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Double Your Money Sit and Go's:
    Hi Tikay,i would like to know your opinion on the skill factor involved in playing DDYM Sit and Go's compared to cash,tournaments or deepstacks.
    Posted by Spikelad
    Apart from the normal need to be competent, DYM's & SNG's (very different approaches needed for each, by the way) are quite different to "regularl" poker.

As AcesOver suggests, they need a very specilised skillset, though it's not a difficult skillset, it's wholly formulaic.

Many, if not most, Online players built their original Bankrolls from SNG's, I certainly did, back in the late 90's, on 'Stars. I also learned how to lose a complete Bankroll in the same SNG's, but that's another story, & all added to my "education". (I ran $100 up to $27,000 in 3 months, then lost the lot, oh the pain..... Then I ran it back up to $15k!).

It's MUCH tougher these days (or so "The Boyz" tell me), & they use stuff like ICM extensively.

If you don't know what ICM is, ask please. If you plan to get serious about SNG's, then you would be well-advised to learn & underatand ICM. Many players I know make a full-time living from SNG's, & they ALL use ICM-based tactics.

Last week, one of them, a good friend of mine, published the best article on how ICM works that I've ever seen - it's magnificent. He wrote it for another Community with which I am associated, & if anyone is much interested, I'll try to arrange to Post it on this Community. It's stunning.

Please do not confuse regular SNG's with DYM's though. Technically, they are both SNG's, but they play very different. It's very possible to make a living at regular SNG's, but it'd be a big ask in DYM's, unless you could play 10 or 15 at a time.

EDITED - I said I'd run my BR back up to "$125k" - typo city, I meant $15k!
  • Options
    Root_KunalRoot_Kunal Member Posts: 714
    edited February 2010
    What is ICM
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited February 2010
    I'd be interested in reading it Tikay :)
  • Options
    SpikeladSpikelad Member Posts: 406
    edited February 2010
    Thanks Tikay and the other guys who replied.
  • Options
    torryboytorryboy Member Posts: 459
    edited February 2010
    There is an e book called comedy of errors goes over all this stuff
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Double Your Money Sit and Go's:
    There is a particular skill sett which is keep tight until 4th and then apply preasure in unraised pots. Skill is different from every other one you mentioned as your only trying to get 3rd, never playing to win which means you play 0 marginal situations and just sit on your stack. Great way to learn the game when your starting out though
    Posted by ACESOVER8s

This.

Tournaments come as Multi Table Tournies (including the deepstacks they aren't a different type you just start with more chips), and sit and goes which are the same as double your monies (just have a different payout structure).

Whenever you are making decisions in SNG's or DYM's due to the small field size you constantly effect your chances of being paid out. ICM or independent chip modelling is a method of assigning an actual value to each of the tournament chips. ICM is not applicable in MTT's until you get near the bubble and into the payout structure. Due to this there are alot more 'correct' moves in SNG's and DYM's compared to cash or the early stages of MTT's. The posts Tikay are referring to are a very good in depth discussion of this theory and how to apply it to the strategies you use whilst playing the differing formats.
  • Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited February 2010
    One thing DYMs taught me was how to look after a short stack. Another was how to play MTT satellites.

I tend not to play normal SNGs now because too many DYMs has completely screwed my SNG game. Strangely though, my MTT game has improved a lot.

As Sir Kendall says, entirely different skillset required.
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited February 2010
    I'd be interested in seeing that ICM article Tikay, please PM me if you prefer :) It's something I struggle to get my cabbage round even after reading several other articles both online & in books!

• Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited February 2010

Speaking of DYMs - I've played them almost exclusively since joining Sky Poker in Jan 09, working my way up from the £2.25s to the £22s as BR increased, and used to enjoy them, but over the last week or so I've started to despise them for some reason! lol Dunno why, they've served me well giving me significant BR growth & a bit of profit. 
    I think I'm going to try the more traditional SnGs where I can actually play for the win, rather than sitting with five others who are also trying to come 3rd.
    I'm guessing the regular SnGs are not as popular though (?) ... anyway, I'll be taking a look.

• Options
    Nutter5932Nutter5932 Member Posts: 349
    edited February 2010
    I suppose you could say i'm the DYM guy here and will just give my view. These are very easy to learn and if you have the Patience and not involved in silly pots you will almost certainly make money at these providing the deck just does not want you to win.

Every form of poker has a different skill set needed to win and a lot of people argue this is the easiest one to beat but unless you have played them all you can't really say that. If they was that easy why don't all the good players just play them and grind out a decent living low risk. 

I will say they can be incredibly frustrating though when you have a cold run of cards because of the rake you have to win 7/10 + so not much margin for error.
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Double Your Money Sit and Go's:
    I suppose you could say i'm the DYM guy here and will just give my view. These are very easy to learn and if you have the  Patience  and not involved in silly pots you will almost certainly make money at these providing the deck just does not want you to win. Every form of poker has a different skill set needed to win and a lot of people argue this is the easiest one to beat but unless you have played them all you can't really say that. If they was that easy why don't all the good players just play them and grind out a decent living low risk.  I will say they can be incredibly frustrating though when you have a cold run of cards because of the rake you have to win 7/10 + so not much margin for error.
    Posted by Nutter5932

The answer to your last question would be to do with ROI.  DYMs would be the easiest form of poker to teach a new player.