You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Should I have Just gone for it?

midge8080midge8080 Member Posts: 32
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
A few times today I've drawn a hand like AJ and put a 4-5x raise and have been caught out twice, in the last game I played the same thing happened again that I raise the other guy calls, then nothing on the flop so he then goes all in! by this time my stack is severly damaged so i fold in the hope to get back in later.

FF and AQ comes up fine I think I'll raise, same guy calls but now I have to shove, and what comes up AA now I know people sat that poker is a skill game, what skills could I have used then to avoid that? should I have gone in earlier rather than fold?

It seems as though whenever I get a hand someone else seems to get better, I know some people will say thats poker but how on earth do you become a winner.

PS I'm playing SnG's which seem to have a lot of fish playing,should I play mainly tournaments.

Anyways any help woul be appreciated, my SnG record today is 4-5( 4 wins 5 losses) so clearly I'm getting something wrong, thing is WHAT

Comments

• Options
    NColleyNColley Member Posts: 1,178
    edited February 2010
    Need more info.. type of sng, blind level, stack sizes, position during the hands (i.e early pos or late pos)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    LOL that much, right early on with the AJ 2000 moreorless, I was SB opponent was BB both times so he was behind me, i guess then there was a way of playing that, but should I really have just called and see what he had.

Second time I think blinds were about 50-100 and my stack was only about 900 or so, incidently when I play Sng's and play REALLY tight i can usually make it into the money, it's only when I play by the book poker ie big raises with premium hands, then I seem to get caught.

Maybe I should adopt the George Graham approach as oppose to Wengers
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited February 2010

I get annoyed with people shoving all in behind me. We could be playing 8k stacks, 75/150 blinds, Id raise 400 with AJ AT 88 99 TT, he shoves all in, no choice but to fold.

Sometimes its like they're scared to play flops.

Get to know your player I guess.
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Should I have Just gone for it?:
    I get annoyed with people shoving all in behind me. We could be playing 8k stacks, 75/150 blinds, Id raise 400 with AJ AT 88 99 TT, he shoves all in, no choice but to fold. Sometimes its like they're scared to play flops. Get to know your player I guess.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Often with AK I find.
  • Options
    NColleyNColley Member Posts: 1,178
    edited February 2010
    ok so first hand u have to fold, can't call with nothing unless you have a sick read on his play.
    second hand is meh, all in or fold with AQ with 9 BBs there, don't bother with the raise
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Should I have Just gone for it?:
    A few times today I've drawn a hand like AJ and put a 4-5x raise and have been caught out twice, in the last game I played the same thing happened again that I raise the other guy calls, then nothing on the flop so he then goes all in! by this time my stack is severly damaged so i fold in the hope to get back in later. FF and AQ comes up fine I think I'll raise, same guy calls but now I have to shove, and what comes up AA now I know people sat that poker is a skill game, what skills could I have used then to avoid that? should I have gone in earlier rather than fold? It seems as though whenever I get a hand someone else seems to get better, I know some people will say thats poker but how on earth do you become a winner. PS I'm playing SnG's which seem to have a lot of fish playing,should I play mainly tournaments. Anyways any help woul be appreciated, my SnG record today is 4-5( 4 wins 5 losses) so clearly I'm getting something wrong, thing is WHAT
    Posted by midge8080

AJ isn't the bees-knees and so a 4 or 5x raise early in the tournament is a bit excessive. Start a bit more cautious is my advice, then step it up in the mid and late sections.
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Should I have Just gone for it? : AJ isn't the bees-knees and so a 4 or 5x raise early in the tournament is a bit excessive. Start a bit more cautious is my advice, then step it up in the mid and late sections.
    Posted by elsadog
    Yes it is! Have you learned nothing from your time in Team Lisa? AJ is de nutz.

• Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Should I have Just gone for it? : AJ isn't the bees-knees and so a 4 or 5x raise early in the tournament is a bit excessive. Start a bit more cautious is my advice, then step it up in the mid and late sections.
    Posted by elsadog
    Thank you for that advice I usually try to do so, sometimes you can read to many sites, watch to many poker videos and you end up trying to tweak your style of play to the point where you lose
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    See now I've just played 2 very cautious Sng's and cashed back to back, when I start playing aggressive when in the money I go back to the usual AA beat by a low straight, sorry to all you poker purists but the only way I can see playing is to be tight as a duck's behind
  • Options
    penguin7penguin7 Member Posts: 1,094
    edited February 2010
    I get annoyed with people shoving all in behind me. We could be playing 8k stacks, 75/150 blinds, Id raise 400 with AJ AT 88 99 TT, he shoves all in, no choice but to fold. Sometimes its like they're scared to play flops. Get to know your player I guess.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    As you say get to know your player. But some of these guys who are shoving behind your big raises are doing it with nothing. They know their player too, and reckon you are too good a player to do anything other than fold.