You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Comments welcome please. Live Tourney.

TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,158
In an attempt to play my live poker with a more clearer attitude I have made a conscious effort to be less results orientated and concentrate more on playing optimally.

So here's the rub.

Its the final table at my local Genting and were down to the final 3 players.

The facts are as follows Dave has 510,000. I have 405,000 and Nitty McNitmaster has 185,000.

The blinds are 15,000 30,000 with a 15,000 button ante and this is the last hand of the level before its 20,000 40,000 20,000.

Nitty is otb, Dave is sb and Im bb. Pot is 60,000

I get Ad Ah. Straight away im considering the following questions. Should I shove knowing that Nitty will always fold and Dave is good enough to dump anything under J J and be content to pad my stack, or should I go for it all. I decide that if its at all possible I want to go for the lot.

Nitty calls the blind hes now 140,000 Pot is 90,000

Dave puts in 55,000 hes now 455,000 Pot is 145,000

Now at this point I know that If I shove it Daves folding and I don't really want that however, calling seems a bit uuurrgh so I make it 85,000

Pot is now 230,000 and I have 290,000 back.

Nitty of course folds.

Dave calls. He has 395,000 Pot is 270,000

The flop comes 3 7 8 all spades.

Dave checks and to be honest I don't like that. I take a moment to consider what he would raise and then call a reraise with only to check the flop and its everything from a flopped flush through a flopped set to As x.

I check behind a little unsure as to his line.

Turn card comes Ace of clubs and Dave shoves all in.

Now in the past I would usually snap call with the turned set of Aces however, I have some time so lets consider what Im beating.

Well Im beating all As x combos, all pr, all 2 pr , all flopped sets and all missed draws. Now I don't really consider 2 pr viable as he is too good a player to play Ace rag for a reraise although it might be he played 78suited and flopped 2pr but hmm unlikely.

In my mind the action seemed to suggest Ace of spades with a k for a turned top pr top kicker and nut flush draw or Ace King of spades for the flopped nuts.

In the end even though I know I may be beaten I think that from a poker point of view calling here is a profitable outcome long term.

I call and get a deaths head grin and a "Sorry Mark I flopped it" as he shows J Q of spades.

He is startled however when I call for a one time with a "I have outs".

He thought I had the As and shoved not wanting to see a fourth spade on the river.

The flush held and I walk away with 3rd happy that I played it well even though the result wasn't what I wanted.

Thoughts please.

Mark

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,264

Have moved this across to Poker Chat so it gets more eyeballs.
  • Options
    Thanks Tony
  • Options
    Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 864
    Ahhhh, live poker
  • Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,790
    So Dave has made it 70k pre? & you raise to 115k? Not sure if I've read that correctly though?

I don't really like either of your sizings if thats the case, especially after the limper.

You're all so shallow, think I'm just 3bet jamming the AA pre flop :)
  • Options
    chrisdonkbchrisdonkb Member Posts: 128
    What were the payjumps Mark in terms of number of buy-ins? Its good that you want to try maximise your gain from the situation but when you’ve only got 13bb to start the hand, it’s very hard not to look incredibly strong by re-raising non all-in here, especially if you think your opponent is decent. Ask yourself what other hands you’d go this size with? Therefore would most likely move all-in with all the hands you wanted to re-raise. If you think your opponent isn’t very good and will put too many chips in with a weak-ish hand and not really think into your raise size, then I prefer the non all-in
  • Options

So Dave has made it 70k pre? & you raise to 115k? Not sure if I've read that correctly though?

I don't really like either of your sizings if thats the case, especially after the limper.

You're all so shallow, think I'm just 3bet jamming the AA pre flop :)

No Dave made it 55 pre his 15k bb make up with 40k on top I reraised to 85k.

I accept that we are shallow but a jam here defeats the object because he folds. I want him in.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

What were the payjumps Mark in terms of number of buy-ins? Its good that you want to try maximise your gain from the situation but when you’ve only got 13bb to start the hand, it’s very hard not to look incredibly strong by re-raising non all-in here, especially if you think your opponent is decent. Ask yourself what other hands you’d go this size with? Therefore would most likely move all-in with all the hands you wanted to re-raise. If you think your opponent isn’t very good and will put too many chips in with a weak-ish hand and not really think into your raise size, then I prefer the non all-in

Payouts after taking 30 then 20 then 10 off the top for the bubble were

£450 - £330 - £220 - £130- £80

Entry was £20 + £5 for 25,000 with a £10 top up for 10,000 taken whenever and an add on after 4 levels £10 for 10,000.

Its a £1000 guarantee
  • Options
    jordz16jordz16 Member Posts: 2,253
    Personally id say you have butchered this one a bit mate, id recommend shoving pre, you should be shoving quite wide when 3 handed in short stacks so opponents should be looking you up light as well. If both fold you have significantly increased your stack and are now chip leader, if you get a call from either hand, which id say is quite possible given the action, then you are in perfect shape.

As played pre flop then you have an easy shove on the flop, you aren't in a strong enough position to trap and the range of hands that are beating you are tiny compared to the hands you are beating which could still outdraw you. If a 4th spade comes and you are shoved on then you could be bluffed off the winning hand and there aren't many non spade turns which would cause your opponent to attempt to bluff you

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    jordz16 said:

Personally id say you have butchered this one a bit mate, id recommend shoving pre, you should be shoving quite wide when 3 handed in short stacks so opponents should be looking you up light as well. If both fold you have significantly increased your stack and are now chip leader, if you get a call from either hand, which id say is quite possible given the action, then you are in perfect shape.

As played pre flop then you have an easy shove on the flop, you aren't in a strong enough position to trap and the range of hands that are beating you are tiny compared to the hands you are beating which could still outdraw you. If a 4th spade comes and you are shoved on then you could be bluffed off the winning hand and there aren't many non spade turns which would cause your opponent to attempt to bluff you

Completely agree with this.
    Would mention that, however you played it, you should always go bust post-flop...
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Hate the raise pre, you might as well flick your cards over and show AA.

Think shoving pre is the best line, to give you the widest perceivable range. As others have said, this is a spot you should be shoving fairly light occasionally.
    So shallow that I think just calling the SB raise would also be fine, to somewhat disguise your hand (though it's hard to not look a little bit strong)

There are basically no flops you should be considering folding anyway with how few big blinds are in play.

Ultimately, getting aces 3 handed and playing 13bb, which is effectively 10bb, you can't really play it wrong as long as you don't fold at any point.

Also, get some chips in on that flop. Result is the same, but this is not a board you should be giving a free card too. If it was 378r then check away.
  • Options
    SuperAyr25SuperAyr25 Member Posts: 37
    Just ship it pre keep the nitty guy short as well dont get to fancie blinds are to big
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    im not good enough to to really comment but it seems you over thought it Mark..ul
  • Options
    FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 824
    Any hand you play as raise should move all in. Like others have said you wouldn't do the small re-raise with any hand other than aces. Going all in actually looks much much weaker. If you want to play 'trappy' then call preflop.
    BTW if you think your opponent is folding anything that's worse than Jacks you can jam super super wide in the big blind and print money because he's gonna fold 80-90% of the time.
    Why would you really not like when your opponent checks the flop? You are the 3 better, the standard response for your opponent is to check all his hands to you. You have an easy value all in with AA on the flop playing a pot size bet. You are ahead so so often. And it's the easiest snap call in the world on the turn.