You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Card Schools

rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,270
I was oot for a shandy last night with a mate and started talkin about card schools and if people still had them with all these poker nights in the pubs, we've known each other all our lives so we started reminiscing about some of the one's we used to go to and one came straght to mind for the both of us so I thought I share the tale.
It was back in the day when you could get 3 pints for a nicker, we were in our local workin man's club playin pool, when ever you played it was for a pint, my mate was really good ( could have played for Scotland if he stayed off the drink ) so he's holdin the table and this bear of a guy comes over to the table suited and booted cue in case, he had just joined the pool team so we kinda knew him a wee bit, first words he say's "do you want to up the loopins to a pearl" let's go say's ma mate, fiver became a tenner, tenner became a score, the guy drops a ton in nae time game over.
At shuttin time he comes over and ask's if we want to go to his house for a game of cards he say's he's got a stocked bar and his wife would make a spread, my mate say's aye and I look at him, am sittin wae tenner in ma tail, my mate slips me a score and say's we'll go hoffers, so we go to his house about seven of us in total.
So we agree to play 3 card brag and shoot pawnies, straight in the door and the drink's flyin, like being in Spain in the 70s/early 80s, his wife dishes oot the Hors d'Ooevres ( pieces in cheese , cold meat cut into quarters ) we sit at the table his wife hands the guy a wee zip up bag with a wad of cash that would choke a horse, we start off at dollar in pots and move up, in a couple of hours I'm up a two and a half, my mates steamboats on the chair, the rest of the boys have left he's doon a few quid and say's do you want play pawnies, yep that's fine, do you want me to get the wife to deal, yep that's fine, so he gives her a shout, in she waddles with a sheer nightdress on, stacked like Dolly Parton.
She starts of dealin, I'm tryin not to look at her, he's startin to win a few quid back and I see her oot the corner of my eye dealin from the bottom of the pack, am thinkin what will he do if I pull her up, He's a bear of a man, ma mates lyin steamin he's nae use so I go doon the diplomatic route, do you want to go back to playin brag ?, durin this time the wifey slid on the couch showin me what she had for breakfast, for next few hours I try not to be distracted as I take him to the cleaners, hawf an oor later he's rooked, I wake my mate up were gettin ready to leave and the guy say's do you want to play a last turn-over, I say ok thinkin he'd say a score or a pony, oot comes the cheque book and card, £200 ok, eh fine, I had never played a turn-over for anythin near that, we turn over card for card I end up with a Jack high he had a seven high BOOM.
I took his cheque and card and he asked if I could give him a couple of hours before I took it to the bank ( I didn't have a bank account I was only 19 at the time ), fine I said, we met in the pub a couple of hours later, he handed me the cash, off he went, we won just over £700, which was a lot of loopins back then, still is now, three and hoff each, bought everbody in the pub a drink ( there was only me, my mate and the barman in so it was a cheap roon ), can remember it like it was yesterday, halcyon days indeed.

( sorry aboot the grammar it's the best I can do ).

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,802

Ha, incred story Rab, I think I love you.

Great lingo too, hoofers, up the loopings to a pearl, etc.

What is "pawnies"?
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Ha, incred story Rab, I think I love you.

Great lingo too, hoofers, up the loopings to a pearl, etc.

What is "pawnies"?

Pontoon/21.
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,554
    When this gets translated into proper English, it might be a good read ;)

I started with pub card games too.....crash, 3 card brag and even chase the ace. I used to play the old fellows in the pub at crib too (normally for pennies rather than pounds) and having been taught how to play that when i was 7/8 years old, used to hold my own against them.

Great post Rab. Are you actually Rab C Nessbit btw ?
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,346
    MAXALLY said:

I started with pub card games too.....crash, 3 card brag and even chase the ace. I used to play the old fellows in the pub at crib too (normally for pennies rather than pounds) and having been taught how to play that when i was 7/8 years old, used to hold my own against them.

Great post, indeed.

Glad I lived in Scotland for a few years, so able to read most of it ;)

Joined my dad's 3 card brag school aged about 5. Real mix of abilities there. Bankrolled by my Dad, obviously ;). Crib? My grandad used to rob me blind :)
  • Options
    MAXALLY said:

I think I'm beginning to turn into him :) .
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,330
    Brilliant!
  • Options
    I've got a wee crib app on my phone that I play when I'm oot shoppin wae the wife.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,707
    Love it, what a character
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,509
    Great post. Brilliant.
  • Options
    TheMadMonkTheMadMonk Member Posts: 291
    A goid read lol
    Pawnies is blackjack (short for pontoons)
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,351
    Card schools

1979-1982 I used to work at Tesco head office, Cheshunt, Herts and yes Tesco had their own Country club where in my youth ,squash was played every night and more importantly a card school was every 4th Friday-payday- after work from 17:30- 23:00( remember when last orders were 22:30 for kick out @ 23:00?....) :s

Me? £25 was cashed to play 3 card brag/stud poker and even then watching grown men write cheque after cheque till they had ran out of their monthly pay paid THAT DAY was painful 😖

The most I saw lost by In a night one man was £250, which in today’s money is around £1150.....it would have bought a 2 year old Ford Capri then... :o

Small fry now for the likes of donk,mini,cchickn,Bates and dogman etc but back in the day these were big sums... >:)

So It’s £25 for me nowadays to play on Skypoker...things don’t change...I used to lose then as well!
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,690
    I won a brand new leather jacket down the pub when I were about 18 or 19 playing 3 card brag plus about ¥300 that was in pot, mad mad nights they were
  • Options
    2121 Member Posts: 16
    A fair while ago when I was 18 I was in a pub with mates who were all off to Tenerife the next day but I wasn’t going because I was skint.

During the night some contractors came in as they were staying there and wanted to ‘win’ the pool table off us. I’m pretty nifty at pool and one fairly tanked bloke liked my cap, so wanted to play pool for it as a wager, he put up a fiver on his side and we played. I won the fiver and cut a long story short a couple hours later I had £700 and got on the plane with my pals at stansted the next morning. My greatest ever spin up that was!
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,802
    21 said:

A fair while ago when I was 18 I was in a pub with mates who were all off to Tenerife the next day but I wasn’t going because I was skint.

During the night some contractors came in as they were staying there and wanted to ‘win’ the pool table off us. I’m pretty nifty at pool and one fairly tanked bloke liked my cap, so wanted to play pool for it as a wager, he put up a fiver on his side and we played. I won the fiver and cut a long story short a couple hours later I had £700 and got on the plane with my pals at stansted the next morning. My greatest ever spin up that was!

Cracking story @21