You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Best Place For Self Isolating.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,547
Proof that this man is a genius.

There must be a village that is missing him right now.

Piers Morgan

@piersmorgan

I just heard Tim Martin, owner of Wetherspoons, say on @SkyNews there has been 'very little transmission of the virus in pubs.'
HOW THE F*CK DOES HE KNOW?
This is insane stupidity from a reckless selfish millionaire putting money before health.
Don't go to Wetherspoons.

10:20 AM - Mar 20, 2020

Coronavirus: Wetherspoons boss causes outrage after insisting he will keep chain open as ‘virus doesn’t spread in pubs’
Tim Martin also claimed that he would take opportunity to catch the coronavirus ‘under supervised conditions’

The Wetherspoons boss Tim Martin has sparked outrage after he claimed there had been “hardly been any” transmission of the coronavirus in pubs, arguing they should stay open during the outbreak.
The explicit government advice, received from public health experts, is to stay away from pubs, cafes and restaurants to limit the spread of the disease.

Yet the 64-year-old chairman of the pub chain claimed it was “over the top” to shut them, despite admitting he had no knowledge of the science.

“Supermarkets are very, very crowded. Pubs are much less crowded,” he told Sky News.
“There’s hardly been any transmission of the virus within pubs, and I think it’s over the top to shut them. That’s a commercial view, but also a common sense view.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-wetherspoons-tim-martin-pubs-close-piers-morgan-boris-johnson-a9413971.html

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,112
    It's worse than that.

A case could have been made for phased closure of pubs. London now, then cities, towns and villages.

It needed careful planning, with sensible decisions being made on all sides.

But that moron caused every pub to be shut early. Because he made it abundantly clear that he was incapable of making sensible decisions. And left the Government with no alternative.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,306
    Essexphil said:

It's worse than that.

A case could have been made for phased closure of pubs. London now, then cities, towns and villages.

But that moron caused every pub to be shut early. Because he made it abundantly clear that he was incapable of making sensible decisions. And left the Government with no alternative.

Perhaps we should Boris’s dad around to each one, have a pint then close it
  • Options
    madprof said:

Essexphil said:

It's worse than that.

On the 1 hand, Stanley's act was incredibly stupid. It made his son lose credibility at a time when the whole country needs him to be credible.

On the other hand, does anyone believe that anyone can tell Stanley what to do? Can't blame the man for the acts of his father.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    How does phased closure of pubs make any sense? This reminds me of “Services on the London Underground network have been reduced further as part of efforts to reduce the spread of the outbreak.” This just places the people who are still intent on travelling into fewer train carriages? They cut trains due to demand not to reduce spread. Similar would be true for pubs, just cramming those that really need that pint into a smaller space.

Would have made more sense to close them in the morning though, rather than announcing it at 6pm on a Friday prompting a load of ‘one last drink’ parties.
  • Options
    bbMike said:

How does phased closure of pubs make any sense? This reminds me of “Services on the London Underground network have been reduced further as part of efforts to reduce the spread of the outbreak.” This just places the people who are still intent on travelling into fewer train carriages? They cut trains due to demand not to reduce spread. Similar would be true for pubs, just cramming those that really need that pint into a smaller space.

Would have made more sense to close them in the morning though, rather than announcing it at 6pm on a Friday prompting a load of ‘one last drink’ parties.

Because if, as the experts say, London is 3-4 weeks ahead of the rest of the country, then any steps should logically be taken 3-4 weeks earlier in London.

Agree re Underground/timing of announcement on pubs.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    I see, phasing geographically, rather than locally. Sorry, misunderstood the phasing you were proposing!
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,306
    Essexphil said:

madprof said:

Essexphil said:

It's worse than that.

On the 1 hand, Stanley's act was incredibly stupid. It made his son lose credibility at a time when the whole country needs him to be credible.

On the other hand, does anyone believe that anyone can tell Stanley what to do? Can't blame the man for the acts of his father.
    No, but given the circumstances you could expect any reasonable, socially responsible to back the actions of his son? sorry I've just realised the contradictions i've just typed...
  • Options
    Where is Jez?

Tim Martin is his hero?

Why is he not defending his hero?
  • Options
    Maybe not that clever after all.

Coronavirus: Wetherspoon scraps dividend and warns on profit

Wetherspoon boss Tim Martin has scrapped the pub chain’s dividend and issued a profit warning after Boris Johnson urged Brits not to visit pubs and restaurants amid the UK coronavirus outbreak.
    A rapid escalation in UK coronavirus cases has already seen a 4.5 per cent decline in Wetherspoon pub sales in the week to 15 March.
    But Martin warned today: “Following the Prime Minister’s advice to avoid pubs, sales have declined at a significantly higher rate.”
    That has led Wetherspoon to delay spending on pubs and cancel its interim dividend despite strong profit growth in the first half of its financial year. Martin also warned full year profit will miss market expectations.
    “We now anticipate profits being below market expectations, so long as the current health scare continues,” Wetherspoon chairman Martin said.

Earlier this week Martin warned a lockdown of the hospitality sector could “cripple” the economy.

Free cash flow sank 31.2 per cent to 46.7p, down from 67.9p in 2019. Wetherspoon blamed the drop on the timing of supplier payments, an earlier payment for corporation tax and higher spending

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/business/coronavirus-wetherspoon-scraps-dividend-and-warns-on-profit/ar-BB11rBws?ocid=spartandhp
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,177
    I think the best place to Self Isolate now..........

would be to break into a WETHERSPOONS near you ........ now they're ALL shut ;):D:D
  • Options
    Red_KingRed_King Member Posts: 2,850
    Tim "nice-but-dim" springs to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tekXxB6dosQ
  • Options
    Red_King said:

Definitely related.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    Red_King said:

Without the nice part.......

• Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

Red_King said:

Without the nice part.......

Correct.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

would be to break into a WETHERSPOONS near you ........ now they're ALL shut ;):D:D

He clearly values, and appreciates his staff.
  • Options
    destinycoddestinycod Member Posts: 35
    I think Tim is a very wise man. Compared to Grocery stores, his pubs are much less capable of spreading infectious diseases. You only have the same glass once before washing. Everything you touch in a grocery store has been handle by many people, all likely to be infected. I would argue that Wetherspoons establishments are little different than off-licenses; which are now "essential". Tim has always known was is best for the country too, immediately becoming a strong advocate for the Leave campaign.

Science has shown that alcohol has inhibited the growth of the Corona-Virus. Not allowing the British public there favourite drinking establishment is as much as a crime as giving the EU £350M a week.

If only we had left the EU sooner. We would have completely close our borders and none of this COVID-19 would have hit the British shores
  • Options

I think Tim is a very wise man. Compared to Grocery stores, his pubs are much less capable of spreading infectious diseases. You only have the same glass once before washing. Everything you touch in a grocery store has been handle by many people, all likely to be infected. I would argue that Wetherspoons establishments are little different than off-licenses; which are now "essential". Tim has always known was is best for the country too, immediately becoming a strong advocate for the Leave campaign.

Science has shown that alcohol has inhibited the growth of the Corona-Virus. Not allowing the British public there favourite drinking establishment is as much as a crime as giving the EU £350M a week.

If only we had left the EU sooner. We would have completely close our borders and none of this COVID-19 would have hit the British shores

I started writing a response to this, but thought better of it.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,730
    @destinycod challenging POTUS for most mistruths and complete nonsense in a statement,wd.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    tomgoodun said:

@destinycod challenging POTUS for most mistruths and complete nonsense in a statement,wd.

I decided against a response out of admiration for anyone capable of cramming so much bs into one short post.
    I was certain it had to be a pi55 take.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BptD62hs9Xk