You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

April Promo

sighcallsighcall Member Posts: 494
Any promos planned for April? :)

Ty

Comments

• Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 529
    Surely time for dym streak week to be making a return @Tikay10?
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,751

Hi @sighcall @gregkdy82

Nothing has been announced yet.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,335
    Too busy counting their money :)
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,506
    No promo needed.

There is corn in the fields.
  • Options
    Sky_SamTSky_SamT Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 984
    There is a UKOPS starting on Friday and I have it on good authority that there will be another promotion not long after.
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,553
    Sky_SamT said:

There is a UKOPS starting on Friday and I have it on good authority that there will be another promotion not long after.

A MINI UKOPS?
  • Options
    2121 Member Posts: 16
    No promos is pretty **** poor. Not every sky player is desperate to beat one into a sock watching Alvez Chickenmelt mattbates pertis88 just sun run every comp while the fans on the forum praise how good they are. Easy to be good when u always have it. Yawn. Sky traffic has doubled and the best u can do is put on a UKOPS and rake yet more 10%’s out of the poor non regs who just paid matt bates pocket. Poor.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,751
    21 said:

No promos is pretty **** poor. Not every sky player is desperate to beat one into a sock watching Alvez Chickenmelt mattbates pertis88 just sun run every comp while the fans on the forum praise how good they are. Easy to be good when u always have it. Yawn. Sky traffic has doubled and the best u can do is put on a UKOPS and rake yet more 10%’s out of the poor non regs who just paid matt bates pocket. Poor.

Hi @21

Bear in mind what @Sky_SamT wrote.......

"Sky_SamT said:
  • Options
    EvilPingu said:

21 said:

No promos is pretty **** poor.

In previous years, Sky has almost never had a monthly promo going at the same time as UKOPS, presumably to avoid taking any liquidity away from UKOPS (& satellites). Obvs I can't speak for Sky but I suspect that there'll probably be something announced for the rest of the month at some point during UKOPS.

Also, I would've expected some delay while Sky figure out (as best as they can) what's happening with SPT Vegas & the money from the promo budget that they've already spent on hotels/flights for players. Remember Sky aren't recouping anything from satellite rake now either.

Whatever the situation, I think it's worth being patient. In five years' time, we'll be looking back at this pandemic as an important time for Poker due to the increased online traffic. This is a fantastic opportunity to bring inactive players back to the game. If sites get this right, we're going to see record prize pools in the big Stars/Party tournaments, a long-term increase in online traffic across all sites, and softer games for the foreseeable future. If sites get this wrong, we risk throwing away the best opportunity that Poker has had to grow since the mid 2000s. While Sky is a smaller site, it's still essential that they don't f*ck this up.

If Sky had something planned for April that would only reward the regs, like a rake race, then it wouldn't make any sense to continue with that given the current recreational traffic increase (as you'll just be killing the weaker players faster and they won't come back). I've always been in favour of promotions being geared more towards recs, and this last week I've seen more rec traffic across all sites than at any other time in the 8.5 years I've been playing online. I hope that whatever promo Sky does this month is very heavily geared towards keeping those recreational players around for months/years to come, because that's best for everyone.

If it takes Sky an extra week or two at the start of the month to get things right (and avoid doing something that kills the recreational players), then that's fine by me.

However, there is one thing I'd like to see ASAP. Let's get a UKOPS mini announced for the influx of recs with smaller rolls soon please @Tikay10 @Sky_SamT :)
    Appreciate everything u have written but I’m not sure they gear promotions to long term poker economy. Don’t be fooled into thinking sky run promos for the players, it’s like McDonald’s and their monopoly stickers, everyone thinks getting a free apple pie is great, but truth is McDonald’s revenue increases considerably during these promos. Promos are there to increase rake Revenue.
  • Options
    TedsonTedson Member Posts: 60
    It's almost as if Sky Poker and Mcdonald's are businesses...
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,506
    edited March 2020
    21 said:

EvilPingu said:

21 said:

No promos is pretty **** poor.

In previous years, Sky has almost never had a monthly promo going at the same time as UKOPS, presumably to avoid taking any liquidity away from UKOPS (& satellites). Obvs I can't speak for Sky but I suspect that there'll probably be something announced for the rest of the month at some point during UKOPS.

Also, I would've expected some delay while Sky figure out (as best as they can) what's happening with SPT Vegas & the money from the promo budget that they've already spent on hotels/flights for players. Remember Sky aren't recouping anything from satellite rake now either.

Whatever the situation, I think it's worth being patient. In five years' time, we'll be looking back at this pandemic as an important time for Poker due to the increased online traffic. This is a fantastic opportunity to bring inactive players back to the game. If sites get this right, we're going to see record prize pools in the big Stars/Party tournaments, a long-term increase in online traffic across all sites, and softer games for the foreseeable future. If sites get this wrong, we risk throwing away the best opportunity that Poker has had to grow since the mid 2000s. While Sky is a smaller site, it's still essential that they don't f*ck this up.

If Sky had something planned for April that would only reward the regs, like a rake race, then it wouldn't make any sense to continue with that given the current recreational traffic increase (as you'll just be killing the weaker players faster and they won't come back). I've always been in favour of promotions being geared more towards recs, and this last week I've seen more rec traffic across all sites than at any other time in the 8.5 years I've been playing online. I hope that whatever promo Sky does this month is very heavily geared towards keeping those recreational players around for months/years to come, because that's best for everyone.

If it takes Sky an extra week or two at the start of the month to get things right (and avoid doing something that kills the recreational players), then that's fine by me.

However, there is one thing I'd like to see ASAP. Let's get a UKOPS mini announced for the influx of recs with smaller rolls soon please @Tikay10 @Sky_SamT :)
    Appreciate everything u have written but I’m not sure they gear promotions to long term poker economy. Don’t be fooled into thinking sky run promos for the players, it’s like McDonald’s and their monopoly stickers, everyone thinks getting a free apple pie is great, but truth is McDonald’s revenue increases considerably during these promos. Promos are there to increase rake Revenue.

Wait .

Are you saying Sky poker and its poker tables are actually a front for some kind of money making outfit?

whilst behind the scenes there is a business being run for profit?

Please clarify , because if things are happening behind the scenes, people need to know. @21
  • Options
    gpc70gpc70 Member Posts: 1,997
    criminal if sky are running the business as er a business cant think anyone else does things like that
  • Options
    I think u have misinterpreted me slightly - I was replying to pingu who implied the reason for no current promo is that sky are looking after the poker economy. I’m suggesting that possibly they are maximising their profit before considering the economy. In essence, running a business.
  • Options
    TWRAMYEPTWRAMYEP Member Posts: 351
    sky: "they're on to us run"
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited March 2020
    21 said:

Of course. But the long term poker economy and Sky Poker's bottom line are very much linked.

Targeting recs with the next couple of promos gives Sky the best chance of player retention. Unless Sky is being gobbled up by Stars in <6 months, I think maximising player retention is very clearly the best line for Sky to take.

Could they make more money in the short term by doing rake races for the next 2 months and making the regs play each other for 16 hours a day while we're all locked inside? Yeah, maybe. But by the time we're all allowed outside again, the regs are all burnt out and the rec traffic is dead. I think Sky are smarter than that.

The last thing that Sky can afford to do IMO is have a rake race, causing many of the recreational players to either disappear to another site never to be seen again, or lose their money faster than normal and decide Poker isn't worth it for them. I think that would hurt the site and the game considerably long term.

The best line here is to also do what is best for the game, that is for Sky to do everything in their power to keep the recreational players around, even once things have returned to normal.
  • Options
    sighcallsighcall Member Posts: 494
    EvilPingu said:

21 said:

Of course. But the long term poker economy and Sky Poker's bottom line are very much linked.

Targeting recs with the next couple of promos gives Sky the best chance of player retention. Unless Sky is being gobbled up by Stars in <6 months, I think maximising player retention is very clearly the best line for Sky to take.

Could they make more money in the short term by doing rake races for the next 2 months and making the regs play each other for 16 hours a day while we're all locked inside? Yeah, maybe. But by the time we're all allowed outside again, the regs are all burnt out and the rec traffic is dead. I think Sky are smarter than that.

The last thing that Sky can afford to do IMO is have a rake race, causing many of the recreational players to either disappear to another site never to be seen again, or lose their money faster than normal and decide Poker isn't worth it for them. I think that would hurt the site and the game considerably long term.

The best line here is to also do what is best for the game, that is for Sky to do everything in their power to keep the recreational players around, even once things have returned to normal.</p>
    What you don't realise is that without regs playing 16 tables at a time a lot of the games would t even run.and if there is a better promo on another site for the regs they will just go there.
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited March 2020
    sighcall said:

What you don't realise is that without regs playing 16 tables at a time a lot of the games would t even run.and if there is a better promo on another site for the regs they will just go there.

Depends. I'd take softer games over a promo more often than not. I think that's true for the majority of regs, at least in the games I play.

Obvs a few will just play wherever there's a promo. But generally if there's good games to be had, regs will start them. I think the amount of cash and SNGs running on here right now shows that.
  • Options
    HaveaA1DayHaveaA1Day Member Posts: 203
    If your looking for a rec friendly Sky promo, I cant think of anything better than them Mayhem Freerolls you have ran in the past they was a lot of fun.
  • Options
    H3nryH3nry Member Posts: 39
    My view on this is what to scrap all promos but reduce rake.
    Sky is currently attracting record traffic and they are not here for the promotions(there are none currently running and the lobby will be brimming). The recreational players are already here and like pingu says poker sites need to do all they can to keep them. I understand sites need to rake as much as they can before the regs get the recreationals money but these are unique times and a gift for online poker.
    Promotions massively favour regs, I know you could argue they contribute the most take but it is the recreationals that contribute the highest proportion individually of rake(as they do not receive rake back).
    Reduce rake and make the recreationals money last longer and there experience of online poker better. Regs are not net depositors they take money out of the ecosystem recreationals are the life blood and let’s keep them.