You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Box Sets To Watch While Isolating.

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,518
    Trailer - The Honourable Woman - BBC First

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqzCRSko_f0
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

I was having a look this morning, and noticed that all episodes of The Sopranos, The Wire, The Last Panthers, True Detective, and Ray Donovan are available.

Those looking for a bit of comedy should watch London Irish.

Reasonable foreign ones that I have recently watched are, Stockholm Requiem, Fenix, Public Enemy, The Truth Will Out, Rough Justice, Vanished by the Lake, Killer by the Lake, Alex, Before We Die, Blood Pact, Flight HS13, Maltese, Night and Day, Pakt, Rebecka Martinson.

Kiri is still available on CH4, I thought they might have had a second series by now.

Spooks and The Wire were both awesome.
    Couldn't get into The Sopranos.
    Just about to start Ray Donovan-my wife loved it, apart from the last season.
    I think they often run a successful series for too long, and run short of good material.
    I stopped watching stuff like Chicago Fire, Blue Bloods. Prison Break, and many others as they seemed to go on too long.
    I thought the early series of Ray Donovan were very good
    I enjoyed Spooks, The Wire, and The Sopranos.
    The Shield was ground breaking, and outstanding.
    I am enjoying it just as much second time around.
    I have also enjoyed many of the Walter Presents series on CH4.
    Homeland, and Line of Duty are both rightly coming to an end in my view,
    A common theme which seems to have been developed, is that a series often finishes with no ending.
    Just a question mark to kick off the next series.
    I often find it annoying to watch a whole series, with no ending.
    This never used to happen.
    I also find these cold case investigations into missing people, that go on for 5 or 6 episodes, without reaching any conclusion, very annoying.
    To spend 5 or 6 hours watching, without being any the wiser is a waste of time.

I just noticed Deadwood is available. There are 3 series. It was apparently knocked on the head, when they turned up to film series 4, but definitely worth a watch, as long as you don't mind a bit of swearing. It could have definitely won a most swearing award.
    The Deadwood movie is also available.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW4Dc-WqvJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejqSTxm8Fws
  • bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,699
    Watched the first couple of episodes of Tiger King on Netflix today.

If you like big cats, crazy dudes, murder, mystery and intrigue, it’s for you. No idea what’s going to happen but the set up has been great so far.
    madprof said:

Signed up to britbox on the free trial...it’s not worth that!

You can get a month free on Amazon Prime.

Don't miss Bosch.

There are 6 series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-HUa10kVpQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOi4R8YGQeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yI_fPRy_XI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkAONZQX7sw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnVtSOTfbEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrOZpPJvSAc

The £30 gadget you need to make your telly a smart TV

As we continue to stay home, you’re probably finding that you’re watching more TV than ever.
    If you’ve already made your way through Downton Abbey reruns and are searching for more channels without having the upgrade your TV, there’s an easy solution.
    The Google Plug Chromecast, is an affordable gadget that enables you to turn your TV into a smart TV, accessing all the most popular streaming services, from Netflix to Disney Plus.
    Customers simply have to plug the device into the HDMI port on the TV, which will then allow you to connect the apps on your phone to your TV.
    Not only does the item allow you to watch shows on BBC iPlayer, Netflix and YouTube, you can also rent movies, share your photos and play music synced through your Spotify playlist.
    The Google Chromecast can be connected to everyone’s smartphone or device, so it is no wonder it has received glowing reviews from customers.
    Buy it: Google Chromecast | £30 from Argos

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/smart-tv-google-chrome-argos-092029063.html
  • Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    My last full on binge watch was Fargo - really enjoyed it and I am gutted to have to have to wait for series 4.

In the genre of "ordinary people" getting sucked into criminal activity and finding out they can be as bad as the organised criminals it is in my top 3.

1. Breaking Bad
    2. Fargo
    3. The Ozarks (haven't started series 3 yet)

In the spy/thriller genre I have recently enjoyed Berlin Station and The Bureau (French production with english subtitles) seasons 1 and 2 of both. There is a season 3 of Berlin Station and season 3 and 4 of the Bureau (need a free trial of an extra pay service on Amazon to get the last 2 seasons 1st 2 included in Prime).

• SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    Phantom66 said:

My last full on binge watch was Fargo - really enjoyed it and I am gutted to have to have to wait for series 4.

In the genre of "ordinary people" getting sucked into criminal activity and finding out they can be as bad as the organised criminals it is in my top 3.

1. Breaking Bad
    2. Fargo
    3. The Ozarks (haven't started series 3 yet)

In the spy/thriller genre I have recently enjoyed Berlin Station and The Bureau (French production with english subtitles) seasons 1 and 2 of both. There is a season 3 of Berlin Station and season 3 and 4 of the Bureau (need a free trial of an extra pay service on Amazon to get the last 2 seasons 1st 2 included in Prime).

Series 1 and 2 of the Bureau are the nuts.
    edited April 2020
  • pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    If you have never seen it, heck even if you have, The West Wing , especially the first three series, is some of the best written television ever. Fantastic characters that you want to root for, some brilliant one liners and story lines that are still relevant today some twenty years on.
    Breaking bad is another fabulous show, it took me a couple of episodes to get into it, well worth the effort. The first series of the Wire and Killing Eve are really good as well.
    STOCKHOLM REQUIEM - WALTER'S INTRO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UYNLM60a1M
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,212
    If there is show I watch over and over its the Sopranos, so many stand out performancies, True Detective is really good too. In these crazy times I find myself binging on the likes of Alan Partridge , Fawlty Towers ,Only Fools etc to cheer myself up.
  • Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542

@SR23 "Series 1 and 2 of the Bureau are the nuts"

Agreed, have you watched season 3? Just wondering if you have and it's pants. Would hate to have the enjoyment tainted.

I did have one issue with Season 2 and I'll try and explain without spoliers.

But just in case SPOILER ALERT....

The Algerian "shoe plot" had me baffled.

If it works then come on please it shouldn't
    If it doesn't work then why did noone foresee that.

It also rather telegraphed a future incident involving a shoe.

Phantom66 said:

@SR23 "Series 1 and 2 of the Bureau are the nuts"

Agreed, have you watched season 3? Just wondering if you have and it's pants. Would hate to have the enjoyment tainted.

I did have one issue with Season 2 and I'll try and explain without spoliers.

But just in case SPOILER ALERT....

The Algerian "shoe plot" had me baffled.

If it works then come on please it shouldn't
    If it doesn't work then why did noone foresee that.

It also rather telegraphed a future incident involving a shoe.

Yeah, I was a bit puzzled/unsure about that too.

Haven't seen series 3 yet because the (1) the first two were free and I didn't fancy paying for it, especially now that I've developed a financial stand-off with Jeff Bezos (I don't think he's noticed yet) and (2) I saw the trailer for it and it looked a bit fanciful.
    pompeynic said:

If you have never seen it, heck even if you have, The West Wing , especially the first three series, is some of the best written television ever. Fantastic characters that you want to root for, some brilliant one liners and story lines that are still relevant today some twenty years on.
    Breaking bad is another fabulous show, it took me a couple of episodes to get into it, well worth the effort. The first series of the Wire and Killing Eve are really good as well.

I've been meaning to watch West Wing for ages, Aaron Sorkin is one talented dude, but never got round to it. Now isn't the worst time, I guess.

I adored the first series of Killing Eve but the second series looked a bit...silly.

Talking of silly, or brilliant-silly, does anyone else watch Rick and Morty?
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    Thanks for the tip re free Amazon trial and Bosch, @HAYSIE

Really enjoying them. As someone who read the books first, they have been as good as I hoped.

Biggest plus point-the casting. Helps when the author is the Executive Producer. Bosch himself is different to how I imagined-a little too East Coast. But-much like Tom Cruise as Reacher-sheer class as an Actor makes up for that. Rest are remarkably similar to how I imagined them.

One minor niggle. Most episodes have a minute or 2 filmed in near total darkness, like so many US productions. Brilliant.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    SR23 said:

pompeynic said:

I've been meaning to watch West Wing for ages, Aaron Sorkin is one talented dude, but never got round to it. Now isn't the worst time, I guess.

I adored the first series of Killing Eve but the second series looked a bit...silly.

Talking of silly, or brilliant-silly, does anyone else watch Rick and Morty?
    Agree totally re Killing Eve.

The 2nd series was like a terrible sequel to a great film. Really hope the 3rd series is better.
    edited April 2020
    Essexphil said:

Really enjoying them. As someone who read the books first, they have been as good as I hoped.

Biggest plus point-the casting. Helps when the author is the Executive Producer. Bosch himself is different to how I imagined-a little too East Coast. But-much like Tom Cruise as Reacher-sheer class as an Actor makes up for that. Rest are remarkably similar to how I imagined them.

One minor niggle. Most episodes have a minute or 2 filmed in near total darkness, like so many US productions. Brilliant.

No probs Phil.

I suppose you know you can get music, and books as well.

I thought the Bosch programmes were excellent.

I have read all the Reacher books, and thought they were very good except for the last one, which I returned.

Lee Childs has retired, and his brother takes over for the next one, so we will have to wait and see.

Other programmes I enjoyed on Prime were, Goliath, as I am a Billy Bob Thornton fan, The Looming Tower, Jack Ryan, The Bureau, Justified, The Good Fight.
    19-2 is a Canadian cop show which is worth watching.

There are probably a lot more as its been a while since I have been on there.

That should be enough to be getting on with.
    Essexphil said:

I thought the casting of Tom Cruise as Reacher was unusual, as the character is meant to be 6ft 5inches tall and built like a brick sh1thouse, and Tom Cruise is not.
    Despite this he did a very good job.
    Essexphil said:

Dwayne Johnson says he was passed up for the lead role in Jack Reacher

Dwayne Johnson has revealed he was passed up for the leading role in the action-thriller Jack Reacher.
    Based on Lee Child's novel One Shot, Jack Reacher follows a former military police officer who takes it upon himself to investigate and track down an ex-Us Army sniper, who's accused of killing five random people.

Despite Johnson's interest in the titular role, it ended up going to Tom Cruise.
    On Friday (April 10), Johnson took to Facebook and Instagram to answer some questions from fans, and when asked if he'd ever lost out on a role, he opened up about his Reacher rejection.

"Fortunately, for me, there aren’t a lot of guys at all who look like me. So, all of my roles, from the beginning of my career, I’ve been a lucky son of a b**ch that they’ve been created and designed for me – except Jack Reacher."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/celebrity/dwayne-johnson-says-he-was-passed-up-for-the-lead-role-in-jack-reacher/ar-BB12wNEt?ocid=spartandhp
    lucy4 said:

Years ago I got a mate to download/copy the entire series of The Sopranos onto dvd so I could binge watch them over a week while off work.Some of the dvd's were a bit dodgy recordings but I persevered with them.When it got to the final episode ending I was fuming as I thought the recording had **** up,I went to see him and made him make me a 'better' copy with the ending intact.Sat down and watched it again only for the same ending,It was only when everyone else started commenting on the ending that I realised what had happened was the ending,what a let down to one of the greatest series of all time.

I watched it again from the start, last week, and it has still got the worst ending ever.