You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

DYM bubble

dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
YSmall blind100.00100.001817.50
dragon1964Big blind200.00300.004112.50
Your hole cards
  • K
  • K
XRaise400.00700.003470.00
ZFold
YFold
dragon1964Raise800.001500.003312.50
XAll-in3470.004970.000.00
dragon1964Call2870.007840.00442.50
dragon1964Show
  • K
  • K
XShow
  • A
  • A
Flop
  • Q
  • Q
Turn
  • A
River
XWinFull House, Aces and Queens7840.007840.00
I've been thinking about this since it happened. Probably because villain had AA. Results orientated eh?
I probably wouldn't have given it another thought had it not been AA.
We are both the big stacks.
But with the other two stacks being around 2K and villain knows he is putting it all on the line 4 bet shoving, should I have folded and preserved my stack?
Or am I over thinking it?
How often is it not AA?

My notes on villain are 5 years old (big losing DYM player at the time) but hadn't done anything out of line this game, I can remember.

Thoughts please.

Comments

• Options
    safc71safc71 Member Posts: 1,541
    Correct call for me. If one of the other plays was super short then maybe i might fold. Sure @Jac35 or a regular dym player will give a better explanation.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,655
    ida shoved but i,m pi$$ed
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited April 2020
    Our options:

Fold: No. Maybe if stacks were more extreme, but while short stacks have >1k this option isn't even entering my brain.

3b/f: If we 3bet to 800-1k total, then fold to a shove, we're still going to cash around 80% of the time. The alternative would be 3b/c.

3b/f and having our ~80% equity is clearly preferable to 3b/c where we're taking a 70/30 at best even vs an overly loose 4b jam range for stacks in a situation where we'd have >70% chance of cashing even after 3b/f.

Therefore, if we 3b KK here vs this player, 3b/f is the line, purely for ICM reasons. If we're getting 4b with any real frequency, we should either flat or 3b shove instead, but I've covered this more in the "3b jam" section where it's more applicable.

Coming back to 3b/f though - Folds are great for us. We win 700 chips without showdown. Calls are ok too, we can cbet fairly small on appropriate boards, win it most of the time. Also we can leverage a turn jam. We'll get tons of folds.

If called on the flop, we can reassess turn and villain's range - we're probably going to jam a decent amount of turns for value and protection vs the right player types. Even on boards or vs players where we can't jam turn, it'll get checked down a lot.

The ICM with the stacks as they are means we don't want to end up in a big pot really. So it's important to be doing this vs the right types of players. Doing this vs a bad LAG is just going to end up with you folding the best hand (correctly, ICM) and giving away loads of chips a ton of the time.

Getting a fold and having a reasonable chip lead with the villain also losing a few hundred chips may also open up the possibility of them becoming more cautious against us the rest of the game, since we are able to KO them, so we'll be able to exploit them by minraising and getting a ton of folds from the SB and button potentially.

Overall, 3b/f pre is certainly a viable option, and it helps if you're good at postflop.

3b/c: Ruled out for ICM reasons (see 3b/f).

3b jam: If you think you're getting a 4b resteal that would force you into an ICM fold, then 3b jam is how to prevent that. But that's incredibly unlikely. Reasons for that are beyond the scope of this post (translation: "It's gone 4am and I need to go to bed soon"), but people just aren't 4b restealing much at all.

Far more likely is that you get a 4b 'resteal' that is actually just a bad LAG thinking they're doing it for value with a suited ace or pocket 9s or something. I guess these players would be a 3b jam as well sometimes if they fold enough of their opens (maybe even including some stuff they 4b jam) but they can also just be a call pre and let them self implode.

Call: I like this for a couple of reasons.
    1) Chances are, the other big stack isn't really wanting to get into a pot with you either, so you'll probably get to a fairly cheap showdown with the villain opting to pot control in position.
    2) You disguise the strength of your hand by flatting here (certainly vs some less experienced players)

I could go into this a lot more but I'll be here forever. But calling is also very viable.

I use all three of the 3b/f, call and 3b jam options in similar spots with similar stacks to this, probably in that order of most to least frequent, but it's almost entirely player-dependent which one I would choose.
  • Options
    TWRAMYEPTWRAMYEP Member Posts: 351
    Feels like the small 3bet is the worst option here
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    Thank you for the replies..
    Especially @EvilPingu for such detail at ridiculous o'clock.

As we all know, the real answer is to fold KK pre (copyright devonfish)

The good news is I managed to claw my way back and cash 😁😁
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    TWRAMYEP said:

You'd think so - It seems hideous in theory. There's a bunch of reasons why it shouldn't work, and in any case you could reasonably suggest that perhaps you'd be better off with a suited ace as a 3b bluff (rather than 3b/f KK) and defending Kings. There's certainly players where 3b small here is as awful as you'd expect.

But from experience it's actually okay exploitatively on here to 3b KK in this kind of spot vs a surprisingly large amount of players who respond to a 3b in this situation by being tight and incredibly passive.

It's certainly not my default though. I'd probs call as a default.
  • Options
    TWRAMYEPTWRAMYEP Member Posts: 351
    edited April 2020
    EvilPingu said:

TWRAMYEP said:

You'd think so - It seems hideous in theory. There's a bunch of reasons why it shouldn't work, and in any case you could reasonably suggest that perhaps you'd be better off with a suited ace as a 3b bluff (rather than 3b/f KK) and defending Kings. There's certainly players where 3b small here is as awful as you'd expect.

But from experience it's actually okay exploitatively on here to 3b KK in this kind of spot vs a surprisingly large amount of players who respond to a 3b in this situation by being tight and incredibly passive.

It's certainly not my default though. I'd probs call as a default.
    Why it's the worst here I think and fine in other spots, is for equity protection reasons.
    In game I jam this to defy villain equity and would love a fold from villain.
    I agree calling is good if we understand we want to play a passive small pot on a lot of boards.
    Our full strategy is dictated by the huge amount of equity we have with our 4k stack and our wish to protect it.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    TWRAMYEP said:

Why it's the worst here and fine in other spots, is for equity protection reasons.
    In game I jam this to defy villain equity and would love a fold from villain.
    I agree calling is good if we understand we want to play a passive small pot on a lot of boards.
    Our full strategy is dictated by the huge amount of equity we have with our 4k stack and our wish to protect it.

I agree, for the most part - I think 3b small is okay vs specific opponents exploitatively until they adapt.

Jamming is definitely fine for the reason you state, but there's villains who respond near identically to a small 3b too (i.e. they jam the stuff they're willing to stack off with vs you and fold everything else, with the occasional peel and fold flop to a tiny cbet when they miss). Those are the kinds of people I would exploit in this way, and if/when they adjust you just revert to either calling or 3b shoving.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,481
    edited April 2020
    I think you’re over thinking it a little. It’s a straightforward cooler

I think as played it’s fine to stack off.

I would be 3betting smaller and again I’d probably have to call it off.

I 3bet a large % of sb opens and I’m extremely easy to play against if I’m essentially folding my entire range to the shove

If people are going to start 3bet/folding KK v me then I’m going to put more volume in 😉

As always with Dyms it’s player dependant

If there was a stack that was very short then flatting is optimal and keeping the pot small
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    Jac35 said:

I think you’re over thinking it a little. It’s a straightforward cooler

I think as played it’s fine to stack off.

I would be 3betting smaller and again I’d probably have to call it off.

I 3bet a large % of sb opens and I’m extremely easy to play against if I’m essentially folding my entire range to the shove

If people are going to start 3bet/folding KK v me then I’m going to put more volume in 😉

As always with Dyms it’s player dependant

If there was a stack that was very short then flatting is optimal and keeping the pot small

Exactly this.

The other point to make is the small player pools. If always fold, will get bet into like this 20 times a day...