You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Help - Cash Player Needs Urgent Tourney Advice

TRIP5TRIP5 Member Posts: 3,618
edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
Hey Community,

I usually always play cash and the occasional speed tourney at 3am however I have been a total competition luckbox this week which has resulted in me being entered into the Forum Deepstack at 7...ARGGGHHHH!!!

Please can you give me some advice on how to attack this slow beast, I believe the blinds change EVERY 12 mins!!! I haven't been known for my patience so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

How is the transition and change of mind set from lovely cash to deepy-sleepy tourney made, implemented and adhered to?

And ultimately will learning how to tame this animal make me a better poker player?

(I have asked this question on the deepy thread too but this area gets more cash player traffic)

x

Comments

• Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited March 2010
    well cash is always low blinds, deep stack will be low blinds for a long time so play it as a cash game. then play it as a speed tourny when the blinds go up.
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited March 2010

Yessss deepstacked tournys are like cash games, speculate with hands that have great potential, play ace 9 of diamonds, but get more excited when you flop 2 diamonds than when you hit 3 aces.

Always look to find the nuts, don't be making big calls to hit a 7 high fd for example.

Winning 10 small pots in the first hour is the same as stealing one set of blinds in the third hour.

Bet your big hands strong, don't be scared to fold, loads of time to recover.

Best piece of advice  can give, (if ur computer allows) - Is have another game open too for at least the first hour!

Gl and have fun, DOHH
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited March 2010
    Also beware only 4xbb raising with hands like AA or KK as with players having plenty of chips early doors you do tend to get multiple callers.
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited March 2010
    Have a snooze at the beginning ............ I do. Then wake up and crash out of the tourney. It saves all the pain and gets the washing-up done early.
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited March 2010
    Play steady to start with, just play like a rock or draw to the nuts in the 1st hour, watch all the other players, be a sponge, this way when the blinds start to mean something by hour 2 onwards you have a good idea of who is loose/ who is tight and who will spew their chips to you. Watch bet sizes in certain situations and remember them for later on. You learn more from the other players by folding and watching than trying to take everyone on early doors. Come hour 2 use your tight image to your advantage, use other peoples plays against them and you will be fine. Patience is the key in deepstacks, dont try getting too fancy you dont need to good ABC poker with a few bluffs thrown in is good enough to take you deep in 1 of these.

Goodluck
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks Everyone, really looking forward to this now, sounds like there will be a good bit of banter going on too...the advice in the tourney thread is to give my chips to Elsa & Quag...or both!!!

Much more constructive advice here...will let you know how I do if I cash and will forget to post if I don't...lol

x
  • Options
    bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited March 2010
    "Trips",  

Just play your normal game, dont start trying to  change things just because it's  a tournament at this  stage... ..
    dont worry about  other tables ( you cant do anything about those)......
    In laters stages near the  money  3 rules (imo)

1.Short stack .. gamble (allin) 
    2.Medium stack .. tight (only big hands)
    3 Big stack ..Aggressive,  (from   position against small stacks)

glk and  Just play your own game ...   
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Help - Cash Player Needs Urgent Tourney Advice:
    "Trips",   Just play your normal game, dont start trying to  change things just because it's  a tournament at this  stage... .. dont worry about  other tables ( you cant do anything about those)...... In laters stages near the  money  3 rules (imo) 1.Short stack .. gamble (allin)  2.Medium stack .. tight (only big hands) 3 Big stack ..Aggressive,  (from   position against small stacks) glk and  Just play your own game ...   
    Posted by bennydip2
    ................. 4. Pass most of your chips to elsa for safekeeping.

You know it makes sense!
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Help - Cash Player Needs Urgent Tourney Advice:
    Good question Trips, I have been given the following advice from the regulars in the Orfordable deepstack: Fold poket pairs, they will get busted. Fold suited connectors, thats too fishy. Don't bet out of position. Don't protect your BB. Don't go all-in in the opening rounds, thats a definate no no. If you make a bad play, just type in misclick.  Dunno what it means but it works. The best piece of advice though was from Dohhhhhh who told me to have a few cans of beer sitting next to you.  This way you dont have to wait for the break!! Following all that, what I do is wait for two hours until I'm down to 10BB and go all in with 2, 3 off suit and hope for the best!! I've never won but the players that gave me the advice were awfully friendly so it has to be the way forward... Good Luck.
    Posted by Patching99
    nooooooo you cant play like this!!! how could you fold AA??? you cant be that paranoid. suited connectors = monster hand to stack a donk who cant lay down top pair. im betting out of position with KK, who wouldn't! nowt wrong with going all in with the nuts no matter when it is!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Okay...who told the TPers there was a new fish in town?

Please can you be on someone elses or even elsa's table?

Thanks in advance...lol

5 mins to go!!!!!

x
  • Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    edited March 2010
    dont raise with medium pairs--wait till you flop a set, then bet like you hit top pair
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OUT!!!!

Lasted a whole 37 mins...NO ONE RAISES!!!!

10 callers each hand, v frustrating...lol

Off to play some lovely cash :o)

x