You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Your Daily Question, Monday April 13th

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,270

A hypothetical today.

You are the Prime Minister for the day, & there's a vote on bringing back capital punishment. The Cabinet are split, the votes cast are exactly level, so you have the casting vote.

1) Will you vote FOR capital punishment?

2) Will you vote AGAINST capital punishment?

And of course include "why".

Comments

• Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    Against 100%
    I don't believe justice should involve taking someone's life if there is an alternative.

The amount of miscarriages of justice over the years which would not be possible to rectify.
    I don't want that blood and guilt on my conscience.

I understand relatives of murder victims wanting severe punishments for the perpetrators.
    I would be the same if it was my loved ones.
    But that is revenge, not justice.
  • Options
    trevil25trevil25 Member Posts: 98
    no two wrong's do not make a right ,unless its for over playing rag ace and binking on the river then yes
  • Options
    LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    Goodness, mr cheery.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,288
    Oh God not this one again!

I remember having a heated debate with @hhyftrftdr on here a while ago about this very issue. I don't have the time or inclination to go down that path again so refuse to answer, which probably tells you how I would answer.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,655
    edited April 2020
    Put em in a field and bomb the ba$tards 😉
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Enut said:

Oh God not this one again!

I remember having a heated debate with @hhyftrftdr on here a while ago about this very issue. I don't have the time or inclination to go down that path again so refuse to answer, which probably tells you how I would answer.

You could easily fit a firing squad in your back garden.

Against.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,177
    I'm FOR Capital Punishment

Nowadays Modern Science and DNA technology can prove that people have carried out the horrendous crimes, so I think it is time it was brought back. It might actually make Murderers and the like think twice, if they knew there was every chance that they too were going to die.

Prisons would be less crowded and cost the Taxpayer £50K per Criminal less to run. That money could be used elsewhere, and I think we are all realising there is a huge need for it in the NHS.

At least Suicide Bombers kill themselves when they choose to do what they do, and save us the job.

Right.... I'll go and get my Tin Hat ;)
  • Options
    DoyleBrunDoyleBrun Member Posts: 1,296
    I agree with capital punishment where there is absolutely no doubt of their guilt.
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,603
    DoyleBrun said:

I agree with capital punishment where there is absolutely no doubt of their guilt.

Plus 1
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,283
    Against.

Evidence shows us that it is no deterrent. Capital crimes run at the same level in U.S. States with the death penalty as in those without.

Its rarely about justice either, its really just a tool for revenge.

• Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,305
    tai-gar said:

DoyleBrun said:

Plus 1
    +2...absolutely, irrefutable position, mind....@Misty4me is a dinosaur but the scientific reliability point is valid
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited April 2020
    Tikay10 said:

A hypothetical today.

You are the Prime Minister for the day, & there's a vote on bringing back capital punishment. The Cabinet are split, the votes cast are exactly level, so you have the casting vote.

1) Will you vote FOR capital punishment?

2) Will you vote AGAINST capital punishment?

And of course include "why".

2. Against

Sentencing someone to death and it's came out as an error would haunt me.

As it happens in my 20s the vote would have been FOR capital punishment,

Of course you have the prison costs etc so from the "business side" you may have to say FOR. I don't know about British prisons as much as American, however prisons are a business in their own right and employ staff who feed and clothe their kids. It's a dilemma.

Is there a middle option or simple FOR and AGAINST :smiley:
  • Options
    DoyleBrun said:

That's the middle option! I'm with Texas Dolly here :blush:
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,481
    edited April 2020
    Cammykaze said:

DoyleBrun said:

Don’t all prosecutions end with the idea that there is no doubt of the guilt?

And yet we see many convictions quashed at a later date
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Cammykaze said:

DoyleBrun said:

Don’t all prosecutions end with the idea that there is no doubt of the guilt?

And yet we see many convictions quashed at a later date
    We have not proven here :dizzy: