You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

AK in £3 DYM

thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 932
edited December 2021 in Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
junior46Small blind50.0050.001957.50
thedazzmanBig blind100.00150.002195.00
Your hole cards
  • A
  • K
WiwiwiRaise200.00350.002017.50
LIMA7Raise750.001100.00790.00
angus1946Fold
Luceb93Fold
junior46All-in1957.503057.500.00
thedazzmanFold
WiwiwiFold
LIMA7All-in790.003847.500.00
junior46Unmatched bet467.503380.00467.50
junior46Show
  • J
  • J
LIMA7Show
  • Q
  • A
Flop
  • K
Turn
  • K
River
  • Q
LIMA7WinTwo Pairs, Kings and Queens3380.003380.00
Hello. I would like some thoughts on this hand if at all possible. Personally, I am not the type to get hung up on what ifs and rabbit hunting, or telling the table you had such and such if you'd hit the nuts after folding etc. So I don't really mind that I would have won the hand if I called. I am not results-orientated about this hand. I just thought it was an interesting hand to discuss to get some other players perspectives. Especially because AK is a tough hand to fold pre-flop.

As the hand played I believe my fold was correct [was it?] and I actually folded instantly, however, before junior shoved, I was in my think tank wondering whether to reshove or fold.

So, what are you thoughts IF junior had not shoved. Would a call, fold or shove be best? I would have probably ruled out the call, because it would have almost certainly been a 3-way pot OOP or wiwi would have shoved all-in anyway. When someone 3bets like LIMA did, that generally means very strong in my experience, so I think I was contemplating folding, but would that have been correct? Btw, I had no particular reads on any of these players at the time.

Thanks for any input

Comments

• Sunday8pmSunday8pm Member Posts: 58
    Very good disciplined fold - to be honest i'm probably folding KK here too.

The aim of the game is survival, not necessarily chip accumulation in DYM's.

You are facing a cold 4 bet, with the 3bettor shortstack basically allin. You're still in great shape to top 3 if the 3bettor wins the hand.

I think regardless of reads on players this is a situation where you should never be getting your chips in. I had a play about using ICMIZER for you but couldn't get too accurate a result as i'm not a subscriber. This shows a very marginal profit of 0.6% if you get it in against approximate ranges but you wouldn't want to take such an edge i don't think in a standard SNG let alone a DYM.
  • JacquelynJacquelyn Member Posts: 254
    Certainly when Junior goes all in its a fold.

It's hard to follow the above i find these pictures quite confusing and time consuming to work out, but looks like Lima had total 1500 or so and bet 790?

If Junior folds, and you push, its likely Wiwi folds unless QQ, KK , AA, two of these being unlikely as you hold an ace and a king yourself... I don't see this as a bad play.

I would tend to quickly read notes on the players involved to aid the decision to suss out likely ranges.

• EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    Nh wp
  • thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 932
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes @Sunday8pm I agree it's a fold all day long with the 4-bet, I was a little unsure if that didn't happen. Thanks for checking out ICMIZER, it is something I have never got into or understood very well, but always see people talking about it. I may have to try it out some time.

@Jacquelyn yes, you summed up Limas stack correctly. I am the same as you, I am so used to reading PS hand histories in the past, these ones from Sky are a bit sore on my eyes, but I am getting more and more used to them.

What you say is something I don't really do in my thought process at the table - what I am holding would decrease the chances of opponents holding the same cards - even though it is quite obvious. I will have to try and consider that fact while playing in future.

What made me ponder in this particular hand was the size of the 3-bet. From my experience that generally means strength, so I think I would have still folded if the 4-bet hadnt occurred. I still had a comfortable stack.

Another point you make is about notes. I am guilty of not taking any notes really. Although I do colour-code some players, but that's about it. I really should get in the habit of doing so. I guess it would improve my game significantly.

Thanks again for the input, and good luck at the tables
  • Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,473
    It’s a fold in a dym with nothing but the forced bb invested and the action in front of you
    Another point to consider here is that your chances of cashing are improving drastically anyway. 1 player is going to bust or be on fumes. This is obviously always a good situation for us.

As an aside I’m still beating myself up about a hand from last night where I got QQ in pre at early levels v a good player
    I knew I was crushed and called anyway.
    We all do it at times.