You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Limping in DYMs?

mayd_dawgmayd_dawg Member Posts: 9
edited February 2021 in Poker Chat
I've been away from the games for a while. I came back this week and players that I thought were solid, as well as weaker players, are limping buttons and small blinds in both the turbo and reg-speed games, at all stages to the game, probably up to 50/100 in the reg speed. I would have thought (and still think) that it's pretty needless to have a limping range at all. Surely it's better to steal with weaker hands and build a pot pre with premium holdings (thus constructing a reasonable steal range), rather than do what these players are doing and limp / minbet flop. It lets in all the trash from the BB.

I'm of course open to being proved wrong!

Comments

• EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited March 2018
    I'm not a fan of it either. I'll occasionally limp behind but I think in DYMs it's just better to open and take down the blinds, particularly if people's ranges are tighter which you'd expect given the format.

I don't mind it vs some players off like 15-20bb, but it's certainly not something I do with any regularity. Personally I don't open limp anything as a default in DYMs. If I'm limping, it's an adjustment to something, and that is predominantly stack sizes and ICM for me.

Sometimes that's a stack size adjustment where I just have Kings in SB and the BB has 3bb so I want to try and let him flop a pair with his 83o so he can call off or jam when checked to.

Other times it's a passive chip leader when I'm in the SB with a decent stack myself, and I can't be bothered with raising, getting peeled in position by any old junk, then having the ICM awkwardness that comes with those kind of spots fairly often when people get sticky - Limping can often work out just as well, avoid the ICM mess, and get them to make even more mistakes postflop with an even weaker range than before.

Generally though, I'd rather just minraise if I'm going to enter the hand and win the pot pre a decent % of the time. I think the value of limping in DYMs against competent players diminishes when the ICM pretty much screws up any reasonable limp/call range.
  • TOOTRUETOOTRUE Member Posts: 192
    DYMS are not my preferred game and not my best either. However, in the early stages of a PLO8 DYM I think that limping can work and sometimes is my preferred approach depending on the players in question. I feel that building a stack can be done more easily without risking too much of your stack by seeing flops cheaply when players are not likely to raise you or have a pattern of infrequently playing hands in the early levels unless they have a "premium" hand. I feel more comfortable trying to outplay post flop and on the turn and river. Also for PLO8 even a powerful starting hand is never as dominant as a powerful starting hand in holdem. Having said all of this, when it comes to the later stages of any DYM I don't think that limping will be a successful long term strategy and indeed the PLO8 player pool on sky will not allow limping in the later stages and therefore best to raise rather than have to call a raise.
  • Mayhem357Mayhem357 Member Posts: 87
    Generally I don't like limping but when you have a big edge post-flop and can play cards which flop well in multi-way pots it can be profitable.
  • SilverdallSilverdall Member Posts: 15
    I am finding a tight aggressive approach in dym is not often successful. Most players will call a small raise and if you miss the flop then you are back to a level playing field. If you then check then it is obvious that you have a weak hand but if you raise you are probably throwing good money after bad.
  • JacquelynJacquelyn Member Posts: 254
    limping is mostly for donks :-)
  • Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,473
    Jacquelyn said:

limping is mostly for donks :-)

You limp a lot early on
    I find this interesting but Obviously it’s part of a plan
  • mcglynn07mcglynn07 Member Posts: 154
    I think its more of a trend to disguise your range or to outplay people post flop when they don't have a clear of what you have when you enter pots rather than saying my hand is not great. Also it gives you a great spot to see what the people around you are up to A) will they attack limps B) will they fold when they don't hit a flop, This info can be used to build a profile of your opponents in the early stages when they know little about you. I know it can only be limited information relative to the spot you are in but it can definitely help.
    Danny

• craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
    This thread is old, when it was first posted limping was considered weak and something very few people did.

Even now limping is still viewed poor but when you construct your range well limping does have it's benifits on BTN and SB.

I suggest you don't update these olds threads because poker has changed alot since 2018

• eon1961eon1961 Member Posts: 1,795
    If the hands good enough to play then raise.
    I would much rather fold than call with spanners.
  • 5501355013 Member Posts: 336
    I see loads of limping in the low stakes PL08 DYMs that i play in the early stages, everyone wants to see the flop. I admit i do it myself every now and again but i try not to. Thing is sometimes you raise with a good hand and the flop is a nightmare and then sometimes you limp with a rubbish hand and the flop falls down nicely although i understand the latter happens not that often.
    One thing i have managed to suss out in PLO8 is never limp with a hand that has no chance of a low and a high hand as that nearly always is a disaster.