You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Couldn't access sky poker, but could access all other sites

It was really strange. I was in the middle of playing and my internet briefly went down. For about 10 seconds I couldn't access any site. Then every site was fine expect sky. I kept pressing refresh, I opened up different browsers, but couldn't get access to sky. Despite being able to access every other site (I tested about 10 different sites and all were working absolutely fine).

I'm not sure how to prove this was the case. If I couldn't access every site, I would just put it down to my internet and I know they don't refund for connection issues. But I was able to access every site apart from sky. It cost me £44 (was playing some sit and gos) so pretty annoyed by that.

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,814

@Aerionz

That's very unfortunate, & I can understand your angst.

I'm not sure Sky Poker would entertain a claim for loss in that situation, even as a GG. You could try speaking to CC or sending them an e-Mail, but I'm not convinced they would be willing to help. As far as I am aware, there was not a site problem last night & there have not been any other complaints out of the ordinary.

The problem clearly began with your ISP, but the chances of them offering any compo are about zero.
  • AerionzAerionz Member Posts: 84
    @Tikay10 Yeah you're right, I don't think they will offer any refund or compensation. It would be lovely if they did and I'd be extremely grateful, but it's wishful thinking on my part thinking they would. Thanks for the help. My internet provider is Virgin Media btw, if that's any help to anyone reading.
  • JacquelynJacquelyn Member Posts: 254
    Unlucky buddy.

Options when this happens, (which im sure you know already):

- as quickly as you can turn PC off and on again
    - Buy (and then use) back up internet/dongle
    - Have a back up computer next to your main computer
    - Use hotspot from your phone if 4g/5g is good enough for it to work
    - Use your phone or Ipad to play one table (the highest buy in table) whilst the others disappear whilst restarting your computer (at least you potentially win one table whilst multi tabling).

Although overall, I still choose to play here, disconnections with Sky, are, im afraid to say, very common; especially for multi tablers - aside from issues like yours above there is also a well known memory leak problem with the download client which hasn't been fixed for literally years, despite much reporting of it to support from myself and others. It is infuriating and can cause a shut down every 45 minutes for me. So many blinds have been stolen from tables when I restart the software. Weirdly, also, sometimes the software doesn't reload at all, and then have to switch to the internet version.

It doesn't sound like this was the memory leak problem but be aware that if you manage to build you tables up to 10+, the software will very likely crash on you a couple/few times in a session, this happens to me every single time I play on Sky.

It's worth asking Sky what went wrong and asking why all other sites were working, they may give you a goodwill gesture who knows, but I do suspect they will say it was a problem your end and ask you to clear your cache and cookies.
    @Jacquelyn Thanks for the advice, very helpful.

It happened again at about 1:40am. This time every other site was working, absolutely zero issues with my internet. All the tables paused (I was playing 4 tables). I had to quit them, reload them. Every time I was trying to reload, it said "we are having difficulty loading this table". Eventually they loaded but I had blinded down to a tiny stack on 2 of them. Basically cost me another £22.

I will quote @Tikay10 as well.
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,517
    Been keeping a keen eye on this thread as I am not tech savvy.

I play mainly MTTs and I agree that the software really is a PITA at times on Sky. Whether that be the slow loading of the games/missing hands/inability to open lobbies etc etc etc. It may seem trivial to some, but I can completely understand players irritations.

A fairly new one for me however is on a few nights over the last couple of months, my games seem to freeze around the same time in the evening. I would say this happens between 12.00am to 12.30am. If by some fluke I am running deep in tournaments, it means a complete shut down and reboot of the D/L. It may possibly be my pc doing back ups/software scans in the background or something else similar. I am also playing on other sites nowadays where this doesnt happen, so I am more learning towards a memory leak on Sky as mentioned in above posts.

I also think that Sky Poker will not be investing anything into these issues while the take over is on going. Hopefully, improved software will be introduced and the whole platform performance will be enhanced once the merge is completed (fingers crossed).

For now though we will just have to grin (through clenched teeth) and bear it.

Not the same for you DYM grinders but every couple of hours I close down the client now and restart in the synchronised break times. If you have been playing for a few hours though, could you possibly run down your table count and then restart everything when you get to no tables running? This might help. What you lose in time, might be made up in not losing in missed hands/table freezing etc.
  • JacquelynJacquelyn Member Posts: 254
    MAXALLY said:

Not the same for you DYM grinders but every couple of hours I close down the client now and restart in the synchronised break times. If you have been playing for a few hours though, could you possibly run down your table count and then restart everything when you get to no tables running? This might help. What you lose in time, might be made up in not losing in missed hands/table freezing etc.

Yes, I do take this into consideration - so, for example, I will not play any turbo games unless i know that ive just restarted the client - so they will finish before another crash.

Also, like you say, I will not register into tables when I think a crash is about to happen.

And, also, I will restart the client myself when stacked up/not on bubbles/a spot where there are no premium cards...

What I am baffled by, is why Sky has not fixed this problem over a period of 5+ years - they would have lost hundreds of thousands of pouds in rake from the following, im sure of it:

- players like myself who wont register in some games because of this issue
    - players who wont multi table at all because of this issue
    - players that will avoid sit n go games altogether because of this issue (and will only play tournies)
    - players who will try the site and then leave the site completely because of this software issue (I know personally of dozens who will only play on party poker and not here)...

In short, its clear that this problem has cost, and continues to cost Skypoker a lot of money - so I am baffled as to why it hasn't been fixed - any answer on this specific question (as to why it hasn't been addressed and fixed) @Tikay10 ?

Alas, I have raised this issue before to support and on another thread, so im bashing my head against the wall in some respects, but I agree with you, for us multi tabling dym grinders it is very frustrating yes.

• mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,326
    I suspect this is related to machine specs.

@maxally, have you checked to see if anything is else is running on your machine at these times?

Your problem seems a little different.
    Interesting that most other people experience the same. I didn't bother contacting customer care, there's nothing they would do about it. I guess

@mumsie I am on a laptop that is almost 7 years old. Should I buy an up to date desktop? That seems like a big investment just to play sky poker, when it might not even solve the issue.
  • mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,326
    edited June 2020
    Aerionz said:

Interesting that most other people experience the same. I didn't bother contacting customer care, there's nothing they would do about it. I guess

@mumsie I am on a laptop that is almost 7 years old. Should I buy an up to date desktop? That seems like a big investment just to play sky poker, when it might not even solve the issue.

Hi, Im in no way an expert in these matters by any stretch.

I just do some trial and error and a solution hopefully suggests itself or someone comes along and points out whats wrong.

What are your machine specs?

This is mine, I have 2 screens and can 6 table on one screen without any trouble, the 2nd screen has spreadsheets/ youtube, lobbies etc. If I add more tables, it struggles a bit so I dont bother.