You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

StayOrGo Diary - Mid July Update

StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,125
edited July 2020 in Poker Chat
Hi guys.

Decided to join those of you doing diaries.

It will be very brief, so as not to bore you too much, probably just a couple of updates a week.

So why now, after all these years?

Well, I am making a determined effort to try and improve my game.

I've been having lots of Zoom calls with @thisltedu where we have been helping each other with our games.

I am finding these calls with Donald very useful, as our strengths and weaknesses appear to be in opposite aspects of the game, so feel that we can both help each other.

I am making a concerted effort to learn and hope to be able to improve enough to play in some of the bigger games on other sites (as well as those on Sky Poker)

For now though, it is a case of trying to pick one area to improve at a time, working on it for a few months until it becomes more "natural" and then pick up the next area.

My initial area to improve upon is calling three-bets and the subsequent play down the streets.

Calling three-bets pre, is something that most people do too much, but I don't do enough.

Also, another reason for the diary is that, I have started up the Horse Racing Jackpot Syndicate again, so will post a few updates on that from time to time. We will probably be having one or two attempts per month when there is a big rollover.

In the mean time, best of luck to my Poker coaching buddy @thisltedu as he works to improve his game too and also to the Jackpot Syndicate members below:

@AKAscotty
@bearace
@destinycod
@Dollie
@Donttelmum
@IrishRose
@MAXALLY
@mkgunner
@rabdeniro
@SidV79
@StayOrGo
@the_buckle
@thisltedu
@wynne1938
@vaigret

Cheers,

Graham

Comments

• K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    Goodluck Graham, will follow :D
  • loosecamelloosecamel Member Posts: 152
    GL with this, will be following
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,806

Looking forward to this.
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,615
    yes , me too gl mate
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,483
    You know nothing about poker....nothing about horses...and nothing about blogs/diaries .

I for one will not be following with interest .

;)
  • SnufferSnuffer Member Posts: 3,057
    Will follow with interest G.
  • StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,125
    MAXALLY said:

You know nothing about poker....nothing about horses...and nothing about blogs/diaries .

;)

Don't hold back Alan, say what you really feel. :D
    edited June 2020
    MAXALLY said:

;)

You are right about two of those things, but I'm brilliant at diaries!

Bit like the Black Adder sketch about the three great universities of England: Oxford, Cambridge and Hull.

Black adder said, "There are only TWO great universities in England... Oxford's a dump!"

Being from Cambridgeshire, that sketch always makes me smile. :D
  • QUICKFEETQUICKFEET Member Posts: 528
    edited June 2020
    Good luck with the diary!
    QUICKFEET said:

Good luck with the diary!

Thanks David, hope all is well.
  • thislteduthisltedu Member Posts: 397
    With Graham’s approval I’ve decided to piggy-back on his diary.

For those of you who don’t know me I’ve been playing at the lower stakes as I learn and sometimes satelliting into bigger games. I really enjoy the science behind poker. As Graham mentioned we have different learning styles and I’m more into reading books, tutorials and recently I’ve got into PioSolver. I also really miss the TV channel!!!

My philosophy – I believe the more you put in to something the more you get out. Golf is my other main hobby at the moment and I have little time for the 28 handicap golfers who turn up on a Saturday and moan about how badly they are playing when they have never practiced or even seen a driving range. Likewise poker players who the RNG ‘never favours’ but also who never work on their game away from the table. To quote Gary Player “The more I practice, the luckier I get.”

Although I’ve been playing for about 6 years now I’ve been not only working full time but I’ve had lots of other commitments that have prevented me spending the time I wanted on Poker. This recent lock-down has given me the time to kick start the process and Graham’s help has been invaluable. I also plan to retire in a year and be able to spend even more time learning the great game.

I’ve managed a couple of second places in the Mini over the last week or so and I’m going to try my hand at bigger stakes so let’s see how this journey goes.

Good luck to everyone at the tables.

Donald
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,296
    thisltedu said:

With Graham’s approval I’ve decided to piggy-back on his diary.

For those of you who don’t know me I’ve been playing at the lower stakes as I learn and sometimes satelliting into bigger games. I really enjoy the science behind poker. As Graham mentioned we have different learning styles and I’m more into reading books, tutorials and recently I’ve got into PioSolver. I also really miss the TV channel!!!

My philosophy – I believe the more you put in to something the more you get out. Golf is my other main hobby at the moment and I have little time for the 28 handicap golfers who turn up on a Saturday and moan about how badly they are playing when they have never practiced or even seen a driving range. Likewise poker players who the RNG ‘never favours’ but also who never work on their game away from the table. To quote Gary Player “The more I practice, the luckier I get.”

Although I’ve been playing for about 6 years now I’ve been not only working full time but I’ve had lots of other commitments that have prevented me spending the time I wanted on Poker. This recent lock-down has given me the time to kick start the process and Graham’s help has been invaluable. I also plan to retire in a year and be able to spend even more time learning the great game.

I’ve managed a couple of second places in the Mini over the last week or so and I’m going to try my hand at bigger stakes so let’s see how this journey goes.

Good luck to everyone at the tables.

Donald

Gl AliG & Donald with this...will be following with interest !
    edited June 2020
    Hi guys, an "end of week update", had a couple of 2nds, one on Saturday in the £110 Big Weekend BH and one Sunday in the Mega Stack.

So not too bad over all.

I have had a few family things going on which have prevented me focusing fully on Poker and sometimes have been on the phone while playing, which is not ideal.

I am still doing and enjoying the "coaching/learning" Zoom calls with Donald @thisltedu very much.

I've got to know Donald quite well over the last year or so and he really is a great person to be around.

I am hoping my son, Gary and I will be having a round of golf with him, in a week or two, lock down rules still permitting.

So as this is a diary, I'd better spill the beans about some personal things.

I have had some challenges with my health recently.

I am an overweight type two diabetic, with high cholesterol, high blood pressure and bipolar-disorder. I was admitted to hospital a couple of months or so, as I became dizzy, light-headed and semi-conscious. It felt like I was having a stroke.

It wasn't a stroke, and I feel fine now, except for a bit of Arrhythmia and I am due to have a 24 hour ECG next week.

I take so many different medications, that when something like this "goes wrong", it's sometimes hard to identify the root cause.

The frustrating thing, is that most of my ailments are self inflicted, with the exception of the bi-polar which is a clinical thing that will always have to be "managed."

However, all the medication I take for Type Two Diabetes, Blood Pressure and Cholesterol are necessary, simply because I have a poor life-style and don't have a "stop button" if I start to binge on things (chocolate for example), which for a diabetic is a horrendous thing to do.

My hospital admission was a real wake up call for me, and I have since improved my diet considerably and I am hoping my next HBA1C blood test (HBA1C checks the average blood glucose level for previous three months), will prove that I have put the Type 2 Diabetes into remission.

I have virtually cut out ALL the chocolate, as I don't trust myself to just have a small amount.

I am really hoping that if I "sort myself out" diet and exercise wise, that I will no longer have to take medication. With the exception being the bi-polar stuff, that I know I will need to take for the rest of my life.

Exercise is something I still have to work on and have bought an exercise bike, but it was a real "cheap job" and has virtually zero resistance. It's still useful if I hold weights on my knees and cycle, but really is pretty bad. Still has some use, but don't buy a cheap one, would be my advice :D

I have lost 7lbs since my hospital admission and now weigh 14st 1lb, but need to get down to about 12st 7lbs, ideally. I feel I should be doing more and losing more tbh.

Well that's enough personal stuff for now. The Horse Racing Jackpot Syndicate is all set to go on 15th June, we have exactly 100 shares in play, so it is nice and straight forward 1 share = 1% holding.

There are 15 of us in it, and they are all great guys, so should be fun.

Will post more on Poker results, weight loss, diet and exercise, Jackpot attempts, etc as the days progress

Best of luck to you all at the tables, and thanks for reading, I hope I haven't been too indulgent with my long post.

Cheers,

G
  • glencoeladglencoelad Member Posts: 1,505
    Good luck in everything, especially for a healthier life .
  • dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    Good luck on and off the tables.
  • QUICKFEETQUICKFEET Member Posts: 528
    Sorry to hear you have so many health issues... I have to watch my diet too. I have an hiatus hernia where part of the stomach (a good part in my case) is at the bottom of the gullet instead of sitting below the diaphragm.
    I too like all the wrong things and recently had to cut out chips altogether, even though they were only oven chips. Eat rice instead now.
    I love bacon and sausages and crisps but have rarely eaten any of those for the past 40 years. It is tough at first but you get used to it. If I lapse I soon end up throwing up all night which gives my mum alot to do if I don't make it to the bathroom so it gives me plenty of motivation to remain disciplined.
  • bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,699
    Best of luck with your poker and health goals Graham. You've paired up with a star in Donald, so you're already running well.
  • AKAscottyAKAscotty Member Posts: 81
    well i've gone from 24 stone to 22 stone, in lockdown, but reading this maybe got a fair way to go, love a game of golf though, so maybe next will be Sky or syndicate golf days........... good luck with everything though Graham.
    edited June 2020
    AKAscotty said:

well i've gone from 24 stone to 22 stone, in lockdown, but reading this maybe got a fair way to go, love a game of golf though, so maybe next will be Sky or syndicate golf days........... good luck with everything though Graham.

Thanks Scott.

I'm only 5ft 7in so 14st 8lbs was too heavy for me especially with the health conditions.

Losing two stone, that's awesome. Well done, and yes a golf day would be great.

Probably would need to be next year now, but we can bear it in mind and see what interest there is, I know @thisltedu and my son, Gary would be up for that, so that's four of us already. :D
  • Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    Hi G. A very honest post on the real life stuff. I have disclosed more than I ever thought I would do on here and I have found it helps to open up and can help others who have similar issues but are scared to admit them.

Very best of luck with the lifestyle changes.

If you don't mind me asking what sort of things do you need to do to manage your bi-polar condition? Not something I know much about, apart from watching the Stephen Fry documentary a few years back and then the recent one on Tony Slattery where bi-polar is only part of his complex issues.