You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Some value to offset the silliness

MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
edited June 2020 in Poker Chat
I've made some garbage posts lately that have had very little to do with poker, I'd like to apologise for that and attempt to make up for it by pointing people in the direction of something which has everything to do with poker. I feel like this gem may not have been unearthed by very many of you, unless you are a Twitch and poker fanatic both.

It is cards up coverage (on a slight delay) from the best MTT players in the world playing the High Roller Club series on PartyPoker. It is streamed live three nights a week (I think) with the VOD's available to all at any time for free (no subscription required to watch the VOD's which isn't the case for all channels on Twitch unfortunately). It is hosted by James Dempsey. I believe he is still a live cash game professional who has been playing for many years. I seem to remember him playing in televised cash games on Sky a long time ago. He makes for a very good host; he is knowledgeable and likeable without a shred of ego or arrogance about him. I wonder if you have worked with him and maybe know him personally @Tikay10 ?

If you decide to take a look at these I would highly recommend one from a few nights ago when James was joined by one of the best MTT players in the world, Patrick Leonard AKA 'Pads', 'plenopads', 'Babu$hka'. Patrick talked about spots in amazing detail as well as giving a few insights into some of the personalities at the tables, playing styles and who he considers to be the best players in the field and why.

For pure entertainment it might not score that highly (unless, like myself, you're really into your poker and MTT's especially) but for a learning resource and for an insight into how the best in the world are thinking about it and doing it... 10 out of 10.

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrackyBigKittenANELE

I don't know how much it would cost for 5 hours of MTT coaching from Patrick Leonard but I do know that

1) It wouldn't be free
2) I wouldn't be able to afford it

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2020
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/652672535.

The video is 7hrs 45mins long and Patrick Leonard joins 2hrs 04mins into the stream.
  • Options
    * I would also say that the 60 second clip I posted is actually quite basic and not representative of the depth Patrick gets into in other spots. I could have found a better example but it was just where I happened to be in the VOD when I decided to share.
  • Options
    DrudkhDrudkh Member Posts: 113
    Will check it out and definitely got to agree on the praise for James Dempsey, he is fantastic.
  • Options
    https://clips.twitch.tv/ImpossibleTardyCoffeeNononoCat

Here's a better clip which is more representative of the level of detail Patrick gets into in so many spots.

I'm a little bit obsessed, currently watching it all again, really should get to bed though...
  • Options
    NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    Didn't know about this, thanks for sharing.

Speaking of Pads, I saw this smashing video with him as a guest on Bencb's Youtube channel where they talk about, among other things, how new players should study poker, the role of ego in poker, some common misunderstandings about playing tournament poker, and the ways in which the poker boom we've having is actually hurting the long-term poker economy. It was a fascinating watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeXBoZUzpt0
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,231
    NOSTRI said:

Didn't know about this, thanks for sharing.

Speaking of Pads, I saw this smashing video with him as a guest on Bencb's Youtube channel where they talk about, among other things, how new players should study poker, the role of ego in poker, some common misunderstandings about playing tournament poker, and the ways in which the poker boom we've having is actually hurting the long-term poker economy. It was a fascinating watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeXBoZUzpt0

Wached that, some of it went o'er ma heid, but it was interesting.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,320

@MynaFrett

"I wonder if you have worked with him and maybe know him personally @Tikay10 ?"

Yes, I know James - aka "flushy" - extremely well, & have done for around 16 years.

We are actually business partners in a poker forum called blondepoker - he owns 70% & I own 20%. (It's a big deep hole where we've both poured endless amounts of cash for a decade & a half).

He's huge fun & I like him very much indeed.

In the last few years he started doing commentary, first for Rob Yong & DTD, then others including Party. He might just be the best poker commentator ever in my estimation, especially in PLO. In fact he IS the best PLO commentator.

He has a WSOP bracelet in PLO8, so we crossed swords at the table frequently, most memorably when we both ran deep in a WSOP PLO8.

Here's Flushy (dark hair) at EPT Deauville in around 2005, when he & I were sweating Jen Mason who many of you may remember from Sky Poker TV.

And here's James a decade later. He's changed a bit. ;). To be fair, I've aged a bit too, though rather less well than Flushy or Jen.

• Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,231
    Tikay10 said:

@MynaFrett

"I wonder if you have worked with him and maybe know him personally @Tikay10 ?"

Yes, I know James - aka "flushy" - extremely well, & have done for around 16 years.

We are actually business partners in a poker forum called blondepoker - he owns 70% & I own 20%. (It's a big deep hole where we've both poured endless amounts of cash for a decade & a half).

He's huge fun & I like him very much indeed.

In the last few years he started doing commentary, first for Rob Yong & DTD, then others including Party. He might just be the best poker commentator ever in my estimation, especially in PLO. In fact he IS the best PLO commentator.

He has a WSOP bracelet in PLO8, so we crossed swords at the table frequently, most memorably when we both ran deep in a WSOP PLO8.

Here's Flushy (dark hair) at EPT Deauville in around 2005, when he & I were sweating Jen Mason who many of you may remember from Sky Poker TV.

And here's James a decade later. He's changed a bit. ;). To be fair, I've aged a bit too, though rather less well than Flushy or Jen.

Looks like a different bloke.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,320

Amazing, isn't it?
  • Options
    Good stuff @Tikay10 thanks for sharing that. I can tell just from the streams that he's a good guy and is certainly a fantastic poker commentator.

@NOSTRI That video is packed with golden nuggets of wisdom.