You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Just a quickie...

ashley1979ashley1979 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi folks

New to the site (and poker in general, to be fair) and have a question.

I, as many others, want to improve my game over time and just wanted some opinions.

Should I play at micro limits or stick to play money?

My train of thought is this; if I only play with play money, then the range of behaviour I may come up against should be expanded (because there's nothing to lose, right?) so it would be better to play micro limit stakes in order that I may learn more in an environment where - potentially - players will be less likely to do silly things based on the fact they might be losing money.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance for all answers,

Ash

Comments

• Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited March 2010
    Yes, real money for me mate, you arent gonna learn anything playing play money. - If you stick 20 quid on, you should get a good few hours entertainment and education out of it......as long as ur not a total newbie and you know the rules and hands etc, you will be fine.

Most of the micro stakes players are beginners also - There used to be beginner specific tables too, not sure if there still are.

If you can afford to lose 20 quid, stick it on and have some fun with it.

DOHH
  • Options
    webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited March 2010
    play money is a definite no no if you wanna improve your game, i would suggest playing at lower stakes and maybe play a few DYM at the 30p mark, that will fine tune your game to be a knit like me lol

no matter how bad it gets stay away from play money imo
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited March 2010

Play money is about as much use for your game as Face book poker, DYM's or Six Man Sit n Go's will be cheap and allow you to play for real without costing yo anything significant. This is the way to spin out a small deposit so you get lots of play for little money. If you r going to play for real money but have only been on play money up to now then i would not suggest starting with cash play as it's easy to kep losing and refiling and before you know you've done it you have flushed your money.

Cash is more advance (IMO) than you need to be to start with low level DYM's or Sit n Go's

• Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited March 2010
    I`d go for 2p/4p cash.  As for play monery - I would rather lose real money than win play money
  • Options
    SparceSparce Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2010
    I concur with aces here.  Another option would be to try limit holdem because bets are capped here.  I would recommend reading books and the forum to learn the game!
  • Options
    goodylad21goodylad21 Member Posts: 693
    edited March 2010
    When i started playing nearly 2 years ago, i just played in the freerolls and really small MTTs (50p & £1). It took me roughly 250 games before i had a decent understanding of the game, but it will come with time!!

When you cash for 1st time you will be buzzing and totally hooked, when you take down your 1st tournament win there is no better feeling (its like getting you leg over). lol

The only way to learn the game is real cash, definately no play money !!!

Good luck
  • Options
    JockBMWJockBMW Member Posts: 2,653
    edited March 2010
    Great Question.

I wrote a blog about this last week  Blog  "On Kilt"  Thread  "Cash V Tournament".  Have a read.  Hope you find it interesting

• Options
    bobcat52bobcat52 Member Posts: 568
    edited March 2010

Your thought processes seem sound Ashley. If you have no or little knowledge of poker Iwould suggest practising on the play tables. Although one or two of the guys have mentioned that you don't get a true sense of the game (because there's no risk people tend to play risky or downright hopeless starting hands, something most wouldn't do playing the cash tables, although you can also see it on the microlimit cash games).

Some books can be heavy reading and confusing at first. A big help on here would be to watch the tutorial videos on here and if you ask a question on here you're sure to get some helpful advice.

If you find the cash tables a bit frustrating as the guys have mentioned there are always the low limit Sit 'n' Go's to practice on without losing too much cash.

A word of advice...always play within your means, don't play with money you can't afford to lose.

Good luck at the tables...

Mike

• Options
    POKERTREVPOKERTREV Member Posts: 9,607
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Just a quickie...:
    When i started playing nearly 2 years ago, i just played in the freerolls and really small MTTs (50p & £1). It took me roughly 250 games before i had a decent understanding of the game, but it will come with time!! When you cash for 1st time you will be buzzing and totally hooked, when you take down your 1st tournament win there is no better feeling (its like getting you leg over). lol The only way to learn the game is real cash, definately no play money !!! Good luck
    Posted by goodylad21
    Difference here is, I normally go to sleep after getting my leg over. But when I play or win at poker I can last so much longer and even stay up all night lol.

But, I agree, stick to micro cash tables, 60p double your money & limit holdem.

Good luck m8ty
  • Options
    ashley1979ashley1979 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2010
    Cheers guys

Thanks for the responses.  I have a lot to take in!

Thanks again and good luck to you all!

Ash