You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Your turn to be the Judge & Jury

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,264

This is a really distressing case, but what verdict & sentence (if any sentence) would you give this young man?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53177998

Comments

• Options
    TVSpiceTVSpice Member Posts: 1,241
    edited June 2020
    Tikay10 said:

This is a really distressing case, but what verdict & sentence (if any sentence) would you give this young man?

Life in an institution like Broadmoor or Ashworth Hospital. And I would give serious consideration to whole life term.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    Broadmoor indefinitely
    he should have been monitored he was known to have issues
    social services need to answer for this tragic episode
    really feel for the lad and his family , life changing
  • Options
    eon1961eon1961 Member Posts: 1,795
    Lock him in a room with the relatives.
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Clearly he needs a lot of help. The general public needs to be protected from somebody like that.
    Not an expert in the field, so unsure if someone can be helped enough to be able to be returned to society.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,353
    I cant read past a certain point.

Do with him what must be done.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,275
    Definitely needs to be sectioned for life, if that's still the phrase. He probably won't be.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,298
    He clearly has diagnosed issues, however for him to smile after the attack infers a level of comprehension towards the act....have to agree with TV spice..
  • Options
    DoyleBrunDoyleBrun Member Posts: 1,296
    He should stay in Broadmoor or somewhere similar unfortunately his reasoning is distorted so unless their is an amazing shift in his thinking he should stay there for his life time. Social services and or his carers should not go unpunished if his carers already knew his feelings they should of informed their superiors who should of informed social services. Then once informed they should of carried out the relevant procedures and tests to ascertain if he would implement his ideas, unfortunately social care is under funded so perhaps corners were cut.
  • Options
    safc71safc71 Member Posts: 1,541
    TVSpice said:

Tikay10 said:

Life in an institution like Broadmoor or Ashworth Hospital. And I would give serious consideration to whole life term.
    Agree with @TVSpice how could you ever trust him again on the outside. Some people are beyond help.
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,237
    edited June 2020
    Another epic fail by Social services.

I,ve had a lot of dealings with childrens Social services over last couple of years and have been shocked at just how overstretched they are.

Far to much paperwork and not enough contact with the people they are supposed to be supporting.

I feel for Social workers - Mostly very nice ppl who genuinely want to help but know their hands are tied with policy and procedure

• Options
    Enut said:

Definitely needs to be sectioned for life, if that's still the phrase. He probably won't be.

As expected he got 15 years. Let's hope that he is 'cured' by the time he is let out. He will be 33.
  • Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    Such a distressing case.

There will be differing views and what is 'right' is so hard to figure out.

Unless something astonishing changes he should never be freed to society.

As Enut says, he could be out at 33 years of age (although it is at least 15 years he got).

He could easily still have the same issues and carry out similar crimes. If this happens then the justice system will have failed.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,298
    MP33 said:

Another epic fail by Social services.

I,ve had a lot of dealings with childrens Social services over last couple of years and have been shocked at just how overstretched they are.

Far to much paperwork and not enough contact with the people they are supposed to be supporting.

I feel for Social workers - Mostly very nice ppl who genuinely want to help but know their hands are tied with policy and procedure

Social Services..damned if they step in and intervene...damned if they don't..who'd ve a social worker? Not me FFS
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,158
    Enut said:

Enut said:

As expected he got 15 years. Let's hope that he is 'cured' by the time he is let out. He will be 33.
    The judge also stipulated that he may never be released. It won't just be a case of time's up off you go. This person will have to jump through more hoops than a crufts winner just to get a limited form of freedom.

If the powers that be are on their toes I feel he may spend the rest of his life confined.

Also like so many in the max sec mental health units he may well commit further crimes whilst incarcerated.

• Options

Enut said:

Enut said:

The judge also stipulated that he may never be released. It won't just be a case of time's up off you go. This person will have to jump through more hoops than a crufts winner just to get a limited form of freedom.

If the powers that be are on their toes I feel he may spend the rest of his life confined.

Also like so many in the max sec mental health units he may well commit further crimes whilst incarcerated.

It shows the shortcomings of our legal system, didn't the judge also say that there was no point in trying to treat him, yet I presume could only recommend a minimum term of 15 years. They really ought to stop using the term 'life' unless it actually means it.