You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

level you play at

john-brickjohn-brick Member Posts: 11
edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
i know  you have to play with in yore bank role  but what if youre level is above what you can afford  not saying mine is but just think  at lower levels  you get called  more     should you play  above youre bank role or  just  play tighter in lower levels?

thx all john

Comments

• Options
    teachaiteachai Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2010
    play much much tighter. And when you get a big hand, shove it all in. you will get called with bottom pair

(I'm assuming you're talking cash games)
  • Options
    bobcat52bobcat52 Member Posts: 568
    edited March 2010

Hi John. Always play at a level you can afford. As Tikay will tell you, never play with scared money!

Play tight until you get a read on your opponents and you can see what cards they are playing, are they loose? aggressive, predictable? Position is important, if you're the last you will have a clue as to who's doing what.

loads of guys on here willing to give advice!

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,649
    edited March 2010
    seen you in a tourny the other nite m8 you can play abit.if you feel you can play at a higher level then go for it so long as you dont feel it if you lose your br and you can reload without worry. but yeah play higher much better quality of player with a better understanding of the game
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited March 2010
    obviously playing outside your bankroll can skint you but i understand what your saying, i've sat at 2p - 4p when my account was low once and obviously as your called more often with junk you will be beaten more often with junk.

My problem at this level is fancy play syndrome. Think at the level of the players your playing, theres no point trying to 4 bet semibluff someone off their hand if they have no idea about what they are doing. You will get called light at this level which is a good thing but the very basic nature of the game at that level is mind numbingly boring to me so i always play higher irrelivant of roll at that time. That's easy to say for mr though because i play for fun and any cash i win is secondary, i'm happier going broke at a level i can enjoy the game than grinding an insignificant profit at a level that bores me.

You don't have to go that much higher though, there are some decent games at 5 - 10 and 10 - 20 where players are thinking about what they are doing but you can still find your easy money
  • Options
    TRIP5TRIP5 Member Posts: 3,618
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: level you play at:
    seen you in a tourny the other nite m8 you can play abit.if you feel you can play at a higher level then go for it so long as you dont feel it if you lose your br and you can reload without worry. but yeah play higher much better quality of player with a better understanding of the game
    Posted by stokefc
    I saw the same tourney and you payed with patience and aggression - always a good combo! Carry on the good work sir, just dont play with what you can't afford to lose...simples :o)

x
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited March 2010

Hey mate. I used to think I was quite a dare-devil with my bankroll, but I look at my available bankroll as whatever is in my account, not my overall poker bankroll (bank-account). I withdraw any-time Im significantly above £500......any my usual level, is NL50, although when multi tabling, its NL20/30/40 whatever is available. So this is like 10% of whats in my account but a tiny percentage of my overall poker bankroll, so maybe Im a wimp rather than a dare-devil. haha

My reason for doing this is I can consistently win at a lower level, whereas results at the next step up, for some reason are mixed!!(It's normally late on friday and saturday nights when I move up) 

I play cash as I make a slow, steady profit, and can run bad and still come out level, or up. I dont think you need to be so strict with bankroll as a cash player, unless ur super loose, in which case you cud go bust fast.

Move up and see how it goes, move back down if ur gettin beat. Find where ur comfortable.

GL- DOHH

• Options
    john-brickjohn-brick Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2010
    cheers all yep was talking cash seem to do ok ish in torny play  just carnt seem to adapt to cash