You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Final Poker Journey by a Poker Journeyman... From £150 to ???

thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 935
As a lot of you know, I started and failed/gave up two challenges/diaries on this forum in recent months. I won't bore you by repeating the details of those. After a break from the daily grind I have decided to create one more, and hopefully, this will be my final attempt at actually maintaining a single deposit otherwise I really should concede that poker is not a game I should attempt to treat so seriously and play merely for fun and recreational purposes.

Similarly to my last attempts, I will concentrate mainly with Double Or Nothings as those seem to be a bit of a forte for me, and which I feel most comfortable and confident playing - especially at the lower stakes at least. This time though, I shall break up the monotonous nature of grinding DONs by playing a lot more Scheduled MTTs than I did previously. In the past I had some moderate success by playing the 180-man SnGs on PS, and since the field-sizes on Sky seem to be not too dissimilar to those, I see no reason I cannot be a little profitable in MTTs here too. If nothing else, it should at the very least help a bit with the boredom that can sometimes set in when grinding the same game type over and over, often, for hours at a time.

I was planning on perhaps adding in a bit of cash also to vary my game play a bit with the added flexibility it brings, but have decided against that as;

1. It is not so easy to fully keep track of play (I am quite OCD when it comes to keeping accurate records of my play and seeing different stats etc). I would normally use PokerTracker, however, it needs to be manually recorded for Sky.
2. I have never really played cash poker for any prolonged or sustained period of time, with any degree of success.
and
3. It is far, far too easy (especially for me) to tilt a whole bankroll to zero, hence point number 2. So it is best to just completely stay away from the cash tables.

Rules/Targets

Starting Bankroll: £150

BR Rules
Upto £3.30 -- 30 buyins required
£5.50 to £11 -- 50 buyins required
£11 to £22 -- 75 buyins required
Over £22 -- 100 buyins required

Initial Basic Targets
Not go bust
Last longer than previous log (38 active days)
Play at least 2,000 DONs
Play at least 200 MTTs

My plan is to start playing tomorrow, as what better date to start than 1st July? It is a start of a new month and is also essentially exactly half way through the year.

As always, I really appreciate all the comments, feedback and support this forum brings. It truly is a wonderful, friendly place and why I am so keen to make SkyPoker my home. Without the aid of this [yet another] diary, I would certainly not play any where near my best or be as focused, motivated or disciplined as I should be. My few weeks break from my last diary proves that, as I have made the odd deposit and played absolutely terribly, playing anything I fancied [under-rolled], and hardly even placing in anything.

I am looking forward to this journey. I'll keep you all updated.

Good luck at the tables.

Comments

• Options
    PKRParPKRPar Member Posts: 2,233
    good luck :) will read with interest :)
  • Options
    teamclauteamclau Member Posts: 56
    good luck!!! following :) xx
  • Options
    aynaricolaynaricol Member Posts: 319
    Glad to see you back @thedazzman ! GL :)
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited June 2020
    Gl dazzman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4dl6JSf-bc

Once, twice, three times a diary :lol:
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,373

Good luck Dazzy, you can do it.
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Best of luck Dazzman - consider me subbed!

It's clearly an excellent time of the year for starting a challenge ;):D.
  • Options
    SJspanky1SJspanky1 Member Posts: 620
    Best of luck with this Dazz but what happened with previous challenge?

Last I remember you had turned a tenner into 300 odd quid then hit a break even patch. Hardly a failure by any standard.
  • Options
    SJspanky1 said:

Best of luck with this Dazz but what happened with previous challenge?

Last I remember you had turned a tenner into 300 odd quid then hit a break even patch. Hardly a failure by any standard.

Thanks very much for all the pleasant well wishes so far.

To answer your question SJ, yes you remember correctly, and you are right, it wasn't a failure by any stretch of the imagination. However, I became ever increasingly frustrated with this break-even stretch. The fact my progress before that spell was overwhelmingly positive, with profit just about every day I played, which probably didn't help matters, as the first sign of any downswing/prolonged break even felt so much worse than it should have. That is exactly what I feared the whole time.

So I just decided to withdraw most of my profit and take a break for a while because I wasn't enjoying playing and started to play badly. before I inevitably tilt-spewed my whole BR away, like many times previously. Looking back now, I should have just paused play for a couple of days and came back refreshed and raring to go, and continue from where I left off. However, that wasn't the case, and it is very easy to see how foolish it all was, and I do kind of regret it.

As it turns out, boredom set in since, and I've made and lost a few deposits here and there just to play some tournaments some evenings, and because I wasn't documenting anything or effectively caring how well I played, I can't remember if I even cashed in any and only picking up very, very few bounties along the way.

For my best chance of success for any decent length of time I have learned that I need to be very regimented and these diaries help immensely in that regard. That is the reason for creating a new one from scratch. It should allow me to profit for at least the short term. Then I can work on extending any success well into the future.
  • Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    Good luck again Daz. Was enjoying your last thread.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,290
    Once more into the breach. I await updates with anticipation.

Good luck buddy.
  • Options
    Thanks Greg and Mark.

Well, well, well. The anticipation and excitement quickly waned.

If I can't be honest on here, then there's no point to it. So I'll keep it short...

A session this afternoon didn't go so great. I tilted a bit on spinups to get back above starting BR. I did. And withdrew the small surplus. I was going to start afresh. Cheating of sorts I know, but it's a psychological thing with me to start well.

After work this evening, I was eager to go again. Registered for the only two MTT suitable for me. Knocked out in the first hand in one. Frustrated me. The way I was knocked out the other, added to the frustration.

The block of DYMs (mix of £3s and £2s) I played also went badly. Losing all but one of the £3s so BR took another dip. adding even more to the frustration. I repeated as I did this afternoon. Tilted a bit on spinups to get back above starting BR. Luckily I did and withdrew the small surplus again.

I know I am not playing as well as I can. I activated a cool off period until next week on my account.

So this challenge has officially been postponed before it has even started.

Sorry guys. My starting BR is sitting there waiting though.

Enjoy the rest of the week/weekend and see you on the otherside.