You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Can someone please explain this

MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,235
Just flicking through youtube and came accross "High Stakes Poker" Series 1 episode 1

I never really watched it back in the day so thought i,d take a look

Daniel Negreanu starts off raising every pot including a 100k bet into a 31k pot with an overpair

He,s already said he wants to start by being aggressive and push people around but this next hand just doesn,t make sense

He opens to 2.2k with JJ

Barry Greenstein raises 10k with 96o- Pot is now 13.6k

Negeanu then bets 1 million dollars

Hand in question is 8.08

https://youtube.com/watch?v=W331HxG1LuM&t=474s

Comments

• MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    Ego/playing up to the cameras + button clicking

Would be interesting to know what Greenstein's calling range looks like facing the $1m 4 bet here - Negreanu clearly assumes it is only aces.
  • DoooobsDoooobs Member Posts: 240
    Looks like Greenstein has a much smaller stack so the bet may only be 100k effective. obv. million bet is going to impress some watching at home in a way that 100k doesn't. Normal bet sizings were much bigger back then too.

• MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    ^^^

Well spotted Doooobs - didn't realise Greenstein was playing much shallower.
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,267
    Don't you just hate those people that short stack cash tables!?
  • MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,235
    MynaFrett said:

^^^

Well spotted Doooobs - didn't realise Greenstein was playing much shallower.

Yeah that makes sense - Think he had 100k
  • DoooobsDoooobs Member Posts: 240
    Cheers, I didn't want to watch the whole thing to work out how much he had in front.

I was thinking it was probably good advertising too. Some people will have watched that and thought Negreanu was prepared to get 1000BBs in pre flop with jacks. It only takes one person to assume the 1000BB shove is jacks for it to have been great advertising to be fair.
  • CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited July 2020
    Really sorry @MP33 not sure I will be able to get through this one......

There is a lot of fist shaking in the household about DNegs, prior to argubly his most famous poker quote.

A bit of a pain in the bahookie some may say ;)
  • percival09percival09 Member Posts: 3,804
    I think with these televised games we have to add the extra dimension of "playing for the cameras" - only then can some of the actions be understood. Negreanu knows how to create an entertaining game.