You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

At last my graph is going up.

Goody_AceGoody_Ace Member Posts: 206
I've been a regular player on here for years - definitely a small stakes player and definitely a long term losing player.
That has never bothered me as I really enjoy a good poker game and I've never played for more than I would like to lose.

But during the lockdown I started to watch pro players streaming on Twitch especially a Canadian man called Matthew Staples.
He of course plays high stakes tournaments but he explains his thinking and moves in a gentle and easy way.
On his stream he shows his bankroll and winnings and losings which are updated as he plays many tables.
He started with a $100 BR and it now stands at around a quarter of a million.
I reckoned this man was one to try learn from. I have watched him now for a few months

Suddenly, I was getting further in tournaments, I knew it was because I was changing my playing style and definitely understanding the game a lot lot better. (and not blaming everything on anything but my stupid play)

I will never play at higher stakes because I still play for enjoyment alone.
But in the last week I have played in the 6:05 £2.20 BH every night and still been in there at 8:00 most nights.
That's 2 hours at least of enjoyment for little money.
I have cashed 4 out of 7 games, getting on the final table twice and last night I actually won it.

I have no illusions that this rate will continue like this...but it's nice to see my graph going in the up direction.

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,811
    edited July 2020
    @Goody_Ace

Well done mate, keep it up.

Strange you mentioned Matt Staples, he Tweeted something really basic last night, but a great lesson for aspiring MTT-ers.

Here you go;

• MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    edited July 2020
    Goody_Ace said:

I've been a regular player on here for years - definitely a small stakes player and definitely a long term losing player.
    That has never bothered me as I really enjoy a good poker game and I've never played for more than I would like to lose.

But during the lockdown I started to watch pro players streaming on Twitch especially a Canadian man called Matthew Staples.
    He of course plays high stakes tournaments but he explains his thinking and moves in a gentle and easy way.
    On his stream he shows his bankroll and winnings and losings which are updated as he plays many tables.
    He started with a $100 BR and it now stands at around a quarter of a million.
    I reckoned this man was one to try learn from. I have watched him now for a few months

Suddenly, I was getting further in tournaments, I knew it was because I was changing my playing style and definitely understanding the game a lot lot better. (and not blaming everything on anything but my stupid play)

But in the last week I have played in the 6:05 £2.20 BH every night and still been in there at 8:00 most nights.
    I have cashed 4 out of 7 games, getting on the final table twice and last night I actually won it.

I have no illusions that this rate will continue like this...but it's nice to see my graph going in the up direction.

This is great.

I am also a big fan of Twitch poker (although Matt Staples is not someone I have watched regularly) watching those streams plays a large part in what makes me a winning player in micro/low stakes games and I believe they could help a lot of players go from losing/breakeven to winning.

Did you know that there are a few guys streaming Sky poker games on Twitch? @Duesenberg streams on Monday nights, @PKRPar is streaming tonight I believe and @Allan23 occasionally streams on a Friday...
    I would imagine that none of them are better than Matt Staples but it is good entertainment and it's also interesting/educational to see how three decent players navigate the player pool and the unique games here on Sky poker.

Congratulations on your recent successes.
  • PKRParPKRPar Member Posts: 2,233
    Yup if you like twitch come say hi tonight @Goody_Ace. Friendly bunch, on from 6.30pm
  • Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 767
    edited July 2020
    Goody_Ace said:

Well done @Goody_Ace, hope you continue to do well!

I am in the same boat as yourself - with the exception of the odd higher stakes tourney that I satellite into or treat myself to, I usually play tourneys that cost less than a fiver to enter. And as long as I'm still in after the first two breaks, I see that as a success and a couple hours of good fun. Nice to cash/make a final table every now and again, eh? :)

As others have already mentioned, a few member's streams might interest you. Also, if you like tourneys, have you tried the Monday Triple Takedown before? You'd probably enjoy that - £5 for two deepstack tourneys and a bounty hunter, so even if you get knocked out early on in one of them, you've still got two others to enjoy.
  • MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Good work @Goody_Ace . Keep it going.
  • cenachavcenachav Member Posts: 2,681
    Nice one. Keep it up and keep enjoying it
  • Goody_AceGoody_Ace Member Posts: 206
    Yeah, thanks. It helps thinking you have half a chance of doing well.
    And as these things go... I was knocked out last night after 15 minutes lol.
    So I popped over to watch Pkrpar. Great stream.