You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Cashless society

Comments

• kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,526
    Of course the whole world can't go cashless. Some people don't have fiat at all yet and still trade in goats. I think for the purposes of this debate you're better off talking about Western 'society'.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,518

Of course the whole world can't go cashless. Some people don't have fiat at all yet and still trade in goats. I think for the purposes of this debate you're better off talking about Western 'society'.

He is a luddite.

This is the way the world is headed, whether we like it or not.

At some point there will probably be no cards, just phones.
  • chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774

‘ Western Societies?’
    China is in the East.
    What about the countries in the south and north? ( Scotland )
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,526
    chilling said:

‘ Western Societies?’
    China is in the East.
    What about the countries in the south and north? ( Scotland )
    Once they leave the UK they can take their pound notes with them.
    edited July 2020
    HAYSIE said:

He is a luddite.

Me a Luddite?
    I’ll have you know, that when I smoked, the switch from matches to a lighter was fully embraced by moi.
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

He is a luddite.

Me a Luddite?
    I’ll have you know, that when I smoked, the switch from matches to a lighter was a fully embraced by moi.
    Don't believe it.
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

He is a luddite.

Me a Luddite?
    I’ll have you know, that when I smoked, the switch from matches to a lighter was a fully embraced by moi.
    Don't believe it.

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

He is a luddite.

Me a Luddite?
    Don't believe it.

I expect you rub 2 sticks together.
    People struggling to buy groceries and medicine as shops refuse cash – Which?

People struggling to buy groceries and medicine as shops refuse cash – Which?
    People have been left unable to buy basics such as groceries and medicine as a concerning problem with cash acceptance in the UK grows, according to Which?

Shoppers have reported being told that cash is “a thing of the past” and some believe the coronavirus crisis is being used as an excuse to ditch physical money, the consumer group found.

It warned the viability of the cash system is being threatened as some shops have declined payments using banknotes and coins during the crisis.

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/people-struggling-buy-groceries-medicine-000100968.html
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,013
    I dont believe it ^^
    edited October 2020
    VespaPX said:

I dont believe it ^^

Which are considered quite independent, reliable and honest.
  • misterpjmisterpj Member Posts: 3,204
    and, please do not forget
    Winter Sun?
    returning from;
    France, Italy, mainland Spain, you, must, MUST, must, immediately,..
    Self Isolate for 14 days, or, Draconian Measures, will await you....

Meanwhile, fancy? Maldives? cracking bucket list experience, recommend Marina Atoll,
    or,
    a right old Jolly up, Canary Islands style, (If you go, only La Gomera, highly recommended)
    Or a cultural experienced, Danish style,..
    Go, yee ahead, carry on (lol) regardless, what, a shower, 'our' elected great n good, are..
    I, ask you.. (lateral thinkers, know, what's what)

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    VespaPX said:
    Interesting article.

I just want to add a little to why I want to see cash remain as an alternative.

Banks have previously tried to charge us a monthly fee for the "privilege" of having our money. The reason it didn't really work is because people knew that they could just use cash instead. Or the free accounts that existed because of it.

A future without cash? Watch the banks charge. Suppliers as well as consumers. Watch Amazon penalise you for having the "wrong kind of bank account". Embrace the chaos when there is no alternative payment when banks' computers crash.
    Essexphil said:

VespaPX said:
    Interesting article.

I just want to add a little to why I want to see cash remain as an alternative.

Banks have previously tried to charge us a monthly fee for the "privilege" of having our money. The reason it didn't really work is because people knew that they could just use cash instead. Or the free accounts that existed because of it.

A future without cash? Watch the banks charge. Suppliers as well as consumers. Watch Amazon penalise you for having the "wrong kind of bank account". Embrace the chaos when there is no alternative payment when banks' computers crash.
    There is another side to this argument.
    The use of cash allows many people to cheat on their tax.
    I have a window cleaner, and a bloke that does my garden, I would be gobsmacked if either of them declared their income in full.
    Taxi drivers used to be famous for it.
    I used to know a bloke with a pub that declared a fraction of what he took.
    I knew someone else that had 6 mobile catering outlets that covered concerts, and carnivals etc. He tucked away a fortune in cash.
    Wouldnt less people cheating mean that we would all pay less?
    I used to get annoyed when I was selling double glazing, by the one man bands that were prepared to knock the VAT off, do a cash job, and undercut me.
    What about drug dealers, how do they carry on without cash.

I think eventually people will pay for stuff using their phones rather than using cards.
    This adds another level of security, as you would require a pin for the phone and another for each card.
    Wouldnt this also mean less muggings?

I think that if we were worried about bank computers going down, then people in future may have an account at 2 banks to overcome this problem.
    I used to have an account manager and relatively high charges.
    I now pay £2 per month.

Old people usually come up in these arguments, and you would swear that all old people are thick as sh1t, none of them have a clue about the internet, they cant operate a computer, and hide all their saving under the bed.
    This is probably not the case.

If you were carrying cash and got mugged, it would probably be gone forever.
    Whereas you can put a stop on a card, and most banks limit the amount of cash that can be withdrawn in one day.

I think that whether we like it or not it is the way we are headed, although probably not in my lifetime.
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,212
    For me cash is King, I couldn't wait to get ma pay packet on a Thursday put ma dig money in ma back pocket straight to the pub with ma work mates, there was a guy who sat at the back of the pub taking your bets ( didn't have to run in and out the bookies ) buy a roon give the lassie behind the bar a quid for herself put money in the juke box play the puggy get the cerds oot, money on table, buy ma **** from the machine ( although they ripped you off it was still better than walkin half **** through the town to the shops ) the paperboy comin in with the local rag gettin a few bob tips with every one he selt, kiss the bride comin roon ( there seemed to be bride every night am sure it was the same gal but it got the old yins a kiss ) slip a couple of £ in yer mates back pocket if you knew he was strugglin, give the barmaid a couple of bob to phone a taxi from the phone box for you, collect a Chinese on the way home, halcyon Days indeed.

Took ma sister oot for her birthday on Tuesday, joined by ma wife and ma niece, went to one of these Greene King pubs, up at the bar to buy a roon was informed to give ma table number and square up when we leave, had about £20 in ma pocket and ma card thought that's the boab, first roon of drinks am lookin at the measures ( English measures ) doubles from now on, end of the night got a right glow on ( it was an all day sesh ) al get the bill, BOOM 177 luppins, ah near had a heart attack here was me thinkin we only had a couple of drinks, hands over the card too easy, will need to stay in for a fortnight, drink and cards don't mix, with cash I know how much I have to spend, I spend whats in ma pocket.

Cash for me all day long, I know what I've got to spend, card is too easy.
    rabdeniro said:

For me cash is King, I couldn't wait to get ma pay packet on a Thursday put ma dig money in ma back pocket straight to the pub with ma work mates, there was a guy who sat at the back of the pub taking your bets ( didn't have to run in and out the bookies ) buy a roon give the lassie behind the bar a quid for herself put money in the juke box play the puggy get the cerds oot, money on table, buy ma **** from the machine ( although they ripped you off it was still better than walkin half **** through the town to the shops ) the paperboy comin in with the local rag gettin a few bob tips with every one he selt, kiss the bride comin roon ( there seemed to be bride every night am sure it was the same gal but it got the old yins a kiss ) slip a couple of £ in yer mates back pocket if you knew he was strugglin, give the barmaid a couple of bob to phone a taxi from the phone box for you, collect a Chinese on the way home, halcyon Days indeed.

Took ma sister oot for her birthday on Tuesday, joined by ma wife and ma niece, went to one of these Greene King pubs, up at the bar to buy a roon was informed to give ma table number and square up when we leave, had about £20 in ma pocket and ma card thought that's the boab, first roon of drinks am lookin at the measures ( English measures ) doubles from now on, end of the night got a right glow on ( it was an all day sesh ) al get the bill, BOOM 177 luppins, ah near had a heart attack here was me thinkin we only had a couple of drinks, hands over the card too easy, will need to stay in for a fortnight, drink and cards don't mix, with cash I know how much I have to spend, I spend whats in ma pocket.

That is quite funny, but your argument in favour of cash doesnt really stand up, as if you had only spent the £20, your night out would have lasted not quite 5 minutes.
    Cards are fine, just dont be flash.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    HAYSIE said:

rabdeniro said:

That is quite funny, but your argument in favour of cash doesnt really stand up, as if you had only spent the £20, your night out would have lasted not quite 5 minutes.
    Cards are fine, just dont be flash.
    That rather presupposes that there is no number between £20 and £177.

People tend to treat spending on cards as less real than cash. There have been plenty of times when I have to translate a purchase into cash, and ask myself whether I would pay that much cash for an item.

PS-"puggy":) I haven't heard that word in ages...