You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

#the end is now

percival09percival09 Member Posts: 3,804
Why do you continue to play poker for a living? Even I missed the glory days, and they were >10 years ago. You are all using solvers, advanced software, would it not be better to simply get a job? Let me know

Comments

• percival09percival09 Member Posts: 3,804
    Tell me, how should we play K8dd on Q54ss in standard conditions and how should that change vs an opponent who bets 9% too often once checked to?
    Is it true that all poker is luck and actually MattBates wins because he plays so much? Is he actually good at poker?
    I don't think so, I saw him once make a stupid decision
  • The--DonThe--Don Member Posts: 388
    A very small percentage of players are using solvers even now.

Many players have looked at some solver based stuff and then try to talk about it as if they have in depth knowledge thus creating a false narrative that most players are playing a GTO style.

What we really have, especially at lower stakes is a bunch of players that have studied pre-flop range charts that force them to play looser than their post flop skill level can cope with.

So, what we are left with is a bunch of mediocre players playing pretty well pre-flop because that's the easiest street to memorise from charts and then playing pretty weak-tight post flop because they find themselves in tonnes of positions that they don't know how to handle.

A smaller number of players continue too aggressively post flop and those guys are harder to handle but at the lower stakes, they still make a lot of mistakes.

Poker continues to get harder because the reg:fish ratio continues to become more unfavourable. Not because the average reg is getting better at a decent rate.
  • MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    edited September 2020
    The--Don said:

... What we really have, especially at lower stakes is a bunch of players that have studied pre-flop range charts that force them to play looser than their post flop skill level can cope with.

So, what we are left with is a bunch of mediocre players playing pretty well pre-flop because that's the easiest street to memorise from charts and then playing pretty weak-tight post flop because they find themselves in tonnes of positions that they don't know how to handle

That's a silly way to do it. There are plenty of cheap alternatives to solvers which use 'solved' ranges and teach you how to play those ranges post-flop (DTO and Simple GTO trainer to name two).
  • The--DonThe--Don Member Posts: 388
    MynaFrett said:

The--Don said:

... What we really have, especially at lower stakes is a bunch of players that have studied pre-flop range charts that force them to play looser than their post flop skill level can cope with.

So, what we are left with is a bunch of mediocre players playing pretty well pre-flop because that's the easiest street to memorise from charts and then playing pretty weak-tight post flop because they find themselves in tonnes of positions that they don't know how to handle

That's a silly way to do it. There are plenty of cheap alternatives to solvers which use 'solved' ranges and teach you how to play those ranges post-flop (DTO and Simple GTO trainer to name two).
    Then why do I see so many players that are atrocious post flop :smiley:
  • MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    edited September 2020
    The--Don said:

MynaFrett said:

Then why do I see so many players that are atrocious post flop :smiley:

Because they won't be using any of those resources :D
  • RinkhalsRinkhals Member Posts: 212
    I've noticed since the glory days of easy online poker (which had large player pools of weak players mostly form the USA) that most of the play these days seems to take place pre flop. So many times I see players shoving their stacks when they have 30 - 40 bb's pre flop. I just could not understand what their thought process wass but after reading the thread I can see that they have no idea how to play post flop and so just jam it all in on a wing and a prayer.

I think that there is also another factor at play with regard to bad players, admittedly it is more of an issue on other sites and mainly effects cash games. What I'm talking about is all those "promos". One site in particular has a reward scheme that pretty much encourages really poor play. For example one of the "missions" might say *raise with a hand pre flop from the small blind and win the pot*.

Not that bad in itself unless you have another player at the same table with a mission of *3 bet from the button and win the hand*. They both want to complete their missions so much that they both end up lumping it in the midddle with no thought for if it's actually a good play or even profitable.

Great for the site in the rake it takes, not so much for getting players to improve their skills.

The other noticable difference is the way the 6 max game has become pretty much the norm across all platforms. Again, it's great for the sites because they can a) open more tables and b) take more in rake, especially with single table MTT's and Turbo tournies.

Again, neither format is really condusive to good play. You just can't afford to hang on for premium hands or you'll either get blinded out or bullied out of the game.

I honestly think that's part of the reason we see an ever decreasing player pool. Rather thn them wanting to improve their game they become dissolusioned and think it's either rigged or just luck, do their £20.00 and move onto the slots instead.

All that said the reason I enjoy playing on here so much sthat there are none of those mickey mouse gimmicks I've mentioned above. You choose your game, sit down, play and earn points and rewards by putting in the volume. That's just how I think a reward scheme should work. The more you play the more you get rewarded by the site. It maintains the integrity of the game and means if people play poorly then it's down to their own decision making rather than feeling compelled to play sub premium hands in the hope of winning a cherry on a cake.