You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

I do not have a gambling problem so can we please stop doing this.

DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,432
So earlier today i got an email about gambling activity entitled knowing when to call time. I am guessing this is because either,
1. I have been playing a lot more or
2. I have been running really bad recently.
I am aware that gambling sites are under political pressure to identify and stop problem gamblers gambling however I do not fit into this category.

I have been a consistent winner on this site for many years now. I do not say this to boast, nothing about my record is boast worthy, I say this to point out that I am not losing my life savings or selling the house. (would be nice to have a house to sell in the first place)
anyone who knows anything about poker and bankroll management would be able to look at my record and tell I am someone who manages their bankroll sensibly.
i have had the client quit me out on multiple occasions today I am guessing it is programmed to do this for some sort of gambling safety.

obviously when I do not have studies and there is a big promo running I am going to up my activity.

The only time I would ever seek to restrict my play would be around exam times because I do not have a gambling problem, but I do have a procrastination problem. However I would never use restrictions on the site because it would flag me as a problem gambler which I am not. Instead I have my girlfriend who would make sure I am not playing computer games or poker around exam time but studying.

My exams are not until June though so this is irrelevant my course has not even started for this year yet.

has anyone else had these issues? I fully intend to be active this month to participate in the promo. I was actually hoping to push for vip for the first time this month.

Comments

• kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,526
    So what happened? They sent you an email, and then?
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,432

i had multiple occurences today where it randomly closed the client and quit me out. Which I am guessing the client was programmed to do to try and stop me gambling.
    edited August 2020
    Doubleme said:

i had multiple occurences today where it randomly closed the client and quit me out. Which I am guessing the client was programmed to do to try and stop me gambling.
    Don't be daft. Everyone is getting responsible gambling emails from all betting sites recently. Regulation is getting more stringent. Ironically, if the regulators thought operators were just booting people out of the client, when they thought they'd had enough, then the operator would be in big trouble.
  • bencbenc Member Posts: 1,053
    I've had the same email have played on the site for years long hours big swings etc , i imagine its auto sent to people who play x amount of hours now because of new regulations i wouldn't consider it as something personal and the software issue wont be related to the email.
  • DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    The random closing is completely unrelated to the email - @Cammykaze has been getting frustrated by the same issue and it seems to be a glitch somewhere, although not one that's effecting everyone.
  • CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited August 2020
    Doubleme said:

Hi Doubleme

With the client when are you getting thrown out?
    Is it logging out?
    How often is this happening?

I have used the client, firefox, chrome and edge with varying results. Some times it's fine and others its quite constant. I need to re-login a lot some days, sometimes every 10 seconds or so (no joke). I miss the first 30 seconds of TDYM games which doesn't seem bad however with 4 tables running it has an effect.

Still working out how to fix as it's very off-putting limiting my time on the site.

Are you getting the same sort of thing?
  • MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited August 2020
    Doubleme said:

So earlier today i got an email about gambling activity entitled knowing when to call time. I am guessing this is because either,
    I am aware that gambling sites are under political pressure to identify and stop problem gamblers gambling however I do not fit into this category.

I have been a consistent winner on this site for many years now. I do not say this to boast, nothing about my record is boast worthy, I say this to point out that I am not losing my life savings or selling the house. (would be nice to have a house to sell in the first place)
    anyone who knows anything about poker and bankroll management would be able to look at my record and tell I am someone who manages their bankroll sensibly.
    i have had the client quit me out on multiple occasions today I am guessing it is programmed to do this for some sort of gambling safety.

obviously when I do not have studies and there is a big promo running I am going to up my activity.

The only time I would ever seek to restrict my play would be around exam times because I do not have a gambling problem, but I do have a procrastination problem. However I would never use restrictions on the site because it would flag me as a problem gambler which I am not. Instead I have my girlfriend who would make sure I am not playing computer games or poker around exam time but studying.

My exams are not until June though so this is irrelevant my course has not even started for this year yet.

has anyone else had these issues? I fully intend to be active this month to participate in the promo. I was actually hoping to push for vip for the first time this month.

Do you really think that sky record who is running well or badly?
    Sky have to make sure they are complying with legislation and risk big fines if they don't. Was the email particularly personalised or was it a generic one?
    The only potential fixes I could suggest for the client crashing would be to roll back which version of AIR you have. So, uninstall Adobe AIR, reboot and then install an archived version. Here's a link to those versions:

https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/archived-air-sdk-version.html
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,296
    MattBates said:

Doubleme said:

Do you really think that sky record who is running well or badly?
    Sky have to make sure they are complying with legislation and risk big fines if they don't. Was the email particularly personalised or was it a generic one?
    If Sky do keep records on who is running badly, why haven't I had this email ? :#
    got the email again for a second time so lets see here.
    1.before you play decide how long you want to play for
    no never done that never will. In poker it depends on whats going on in my life at the time the mood i am feeling and also what is going on on the site are games going on the site am i running well or bad etc and its a weird one sometimes when i running bad i may stop sometimes that spurs me to continue and same for running well sometimes motivates me to continue sometimes i feel lets just take the profit and call it a day. dont most people work like that?
    2.take regular breaks and keep eye on your transaction history
    i take breaks when i feel like it but yes playing 8 hours straight without a break would be a bit much, there is no transaction history that often i almost never deposit and i withdraw occassionly.
    3.use profit loss tool to see how much money you have won or lost over a period of time. This is really really difficult for me to do. I would think any poker player would struggle greatly to do this especially me doing a maths degree. for example if my account had £560 in it at the start of the day and at the end of the day it has £430 how do i work this out how can i possibly work out how much money I have lost that day? or if £550 and then at the end of the day I have £700 how much money did i win or lose that day? this is very very hard maths that would have 9 year olds scratching their heads.
    4. set deposit limits
    this has hardly been the best month for me but if i find i run so bad the rest of this month that i busto my account not sure I will be deeply motivated to deposit for quite some time.
    5.set a cool of period.
    i can do this myself and do not need software to do it for me I guess if I do busto my account i probably wont be playing poker for a bit after that. seriously it would be hard to run that bad. as I do practice bankroll management. and should be profitable.
    @Doubleme

Close the email. Get on with your day.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,853
    Doubleme said:

no never done that never will. In poker it depends on whats going on in my life at the time the mood i am feeling and also what is going on on the site are games going on the site am i running well or bad etc and its a weird one sometimes when i running bad i may stop sometimes that spurs me to continue and same for running well sometimes motivates me to continue sometimes i feel lets just take the profit and call it a day. dont most people work like that?
    i take breaks when i feel like it but yes playing 8 hours straight without a break would be a bit much, there is no transaction history that often i almost never deposit and i withdraw occassionly.
    3.use profit loss tool to see how much money you have won or lost over a period of time. This is really really difficult for me to do. I would think any poker player would struggle greatly to do this especially me doing a maths degree. for example if my account had £560 in it at the start of the day and at the end of the day it has £430 how do i work this out how can i possibly work out how much money I have lost that day? or if £550 and then at the end of the day I have £700 how much money did i win or lose that day? this is very very hard maths that would have 9 year olds scratching their heads.
    4. set deposit limits
    this has hardly been the best month for me but if i find i run so bad the rest of this month that i busto my account not sure I will be deeply motivated to deposit for quite some time.
    5.set a cool of period.
    i can do this myself and do not need software to do it for me I guess if I do busto my account i probably wont be playing poker for a bit after that. seriously it would be hard to run that bad. as I do practice bankroll management. and should be profitable.

@Doubleme

Man, I get you feel sleighted in some way, but you are not being very fair here, The Business are legally obliged to carry out these checks in certain circumstances.

The Gambling Commission make it a condition of the Gaming Licence, & if there are breaches, the fines are huge. Ladbrokes/Coral were recently fined £5.9 million for "failing to protect vulnerable customers" & Daub Alderney, who operate Online Bingo Sites, were fined over £7 million. In total, the GC levied fines of almost £20 million last year.

It's not personal, they have software "flags" & if a Red Flag pops up they need to engage with the customer to make sure all is well. A Red Flag can be caused by many things, most of them innocent, but including more frequent deposits, playing bigger, spending longer than previously on site, spending more, etc. All of these things can be innocent & fine, but they are legally obliged to check.

It really is best to take their concern seriously.
  • biggirlbiggirl Member Posts: 68
    Doubleme said:

4. set deposit limits
    5.set a cool of period.

Standard email not sure why it's caused such a problem mate. Like someone said earlier just close the email and get on with your day.
  • daggers747daggers747 Member Posts: 186
    I worked for a high street bookie with no morals. Good to see Sky are taking there responsibilities seriously. Have fun enjoy and possible go down the pub more.
    I had more to say to this but was going to let the thread die but then since a few people have mentioned stuff to me and was talking to biggirl in an mtt earlier i guess i can expand further.

Tikay is right I was been overly harsh on sky here they are obliged to check on us. I guess I am concerned about headlines in the media.

I am sensible with my bankroll and my gambling and the entire time I have been on sky have never gambled irresponsibly.

in regards to its best to take their concerns seriously from tikays remark yes and no. their is no issue with me. However I have witnessed irresponsible gambling in others. I seek to make money from this game I have never taken reckless risks and would not/will not gamble/risk what I cannot afford to lose. Not everyone is that rational/controlled though I like to think that those I take money off can afford to lose that money and would hate to find out that the common fish i liked seeing around had lost their house due to gambling debt causing a divorce and ultimately their suicide.

I think there are very few players on here if any that would want to inflict that sort of pain on anyone.

I guess I got a bit tilted because I am constantly hearing in the media about extreme government regulation changes to the gambling industry that could potentially kill online poker in the UK.

among such things been discussed is staking limits affordability checks deposit limits and complete banning of Vip schemes.

deposit limits is the least of my concerns with my strict bankroll management and constant self monitoring of my results it is very difficult for me to busto my balance whilst I have an edge, very unlikely indeed. In theory I could lose my edge as any player could but with the constant monitoring of my results this should be spotted in plenty of time.

affordability checks is a vague area mentioned possibly in relation to deposit limits in which case no worries. on the other hand other affordability checks could ruin the game for almost everyone.
    for example a good roi at low stake sit and go games eg £10 and below is 5% depending on the format some players can exceed that a bit and some formats 5% is super impressive.

assuming that we have a semi competent/good player that aspires one day to go full time pro or to supplement their income their initial target might be to make £50 a day. with 5% roi they would need to play 100 games to do this at the £10 stake level. This means they would have staked a total amount of £500 a day or over £15000 a month.

with the average salary in the uk been somewhere around £30,000 a year very few people in this country can afford to gamble £15000 a month.

of course there is a lot wrong with what I just did with that math and I would suspect nearly every single player on this site if not every single player to be able to spot that right away. no one not even the worst fishy player has a 100% loss rate over a large sample the money been staked is recycled over and over again.

however politicians and the media often do not understand/ care about such details and could potentially just go for headline grabbing policies, which could kill the game.

The gambling act is up for review and new policies/regulations are coming soon I would hope that somehow they could manage regulations in such a way that helps stop those with a problem getting out of control whilst not impeding the freedoms of those that aspire to achieve things in the poker world whom make responsible decisions with their money management.

edit mistake 100 games a day at £10 stake limits is £1000 I was thinking of £5 games because i mostly play £5 sngs and got the two mixed up. it would then be £30000 a month this is very bad mistake especially as i do a maths degree that embarressing we all make mistakes my bad. point stands though.
  • chappo100chappo100 Member Posts: 116
    these emails are like the worlds biggest troll, it's like when your scrolling through social media procrastinating and not grinding and it spams you in the face with be gamble aware. like i'm aware i should be gambling and not slacking and they like no don't play i got an friends cousins aunts mate i know who has a mate who works down the road and lost his house wife and kids to poker then turned to heroin, then turned to street corners. hardly helps motivation to get grinding does it.
    a gambling commission basically opitomises
  • MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Doubleme said:

I had more to say to this but was going to let the thread die but then since a few people have mentioned stuff to me and was talking to biggirl in an mtt earlier i guess i can expand further.

Tikay is right I was been overly harsh on sky here they are obliged to check on us. I guess I am concerned about headlines in the media.

I am sensible with my bankroll and my gambling and the entire time I have been on sky have never gambled irresponsibly.

in regards to its best to take their concerns seriously from tikays remark yes and no. their is no issue with me. However I have witnessed irresponsible gambling in others. I seek to make money from this game I have never taken reckless risks and would not/will not gamble/risk what I cannot afford to lose. Not everyone is that rational/controlled though I like to think that those I take money off can afford to lose that money and would hate to find out that the common fish i liked seeing around had lost their house due to gambling debt causing a divorce and ultimately their suicide.

I think there are very few players on here if any that would want to inflict that sort of pain on anyone.

I guess I got a bit tilted because I am constantly hearing in the media about extreme government regulation changes to the gambling industry that could potentially kill online poker in the UK.

among such things been discussed is staking limits affordability checks deposit limits and complete banning of Vip schemes.

deposit limits is the least of my concerns with my strict bankroll management and constant self monitoring of my results it is very difficult for me to busto my balance whilst I have an edge, very unlikely indeed. In theory I could lose my edge as any player could but with the constant monitoring of my results this should be spotted in plenty of time.

affordability checks is a vague area mentioned possibly in relation to deposit limits in which case no worries. on the other hand other affordability checks could ruin the game for almost everyone.
    for example a good roi at low stake sit and go games eg £10 and below is 5% depending on the format some players can exceed that a bit and some formats 5% is super impressive.

assuming that we have a semi competent/good player that aspires one day to go full time pro or to supplement their income their initial target might be to make £50 a day. with 5% roi they would need to play 100 games to do this at the £10 stake level. This means they would have staked a total amount of £500 a day or over £15000 a month.

with the average salary in the uk been somewhere around £30,000 a year very few people in this country can afford to gamble £15000 a month.

of course there is a lot wrong with what I just did with that math and I would suspect nearly every single player on this site if not every single player to be able to spot that right away. no one not even the worst fishy player has a 100% loss rate over a large sample the money been staked is recycled over and over again.

however politicians and the media often do not understand/ care about such details and could potentially just go for headline grabbing policies, which could kill the game.

The gambling act is up for review and new policies/regulations are coming soon I would hope that somehow they could manage regulations in such a way that helps stop those with a problem getting out of control whilst not impeding the freedoms of those that aspire to achieve things in the poker world whom make responsible decisions with their money management.

How do you know players gambled irresponsibly? Someone losing £50 in a month maybe an amount they cant afford to lose, others can gamble £10k in a month and its affordable and just what they want to do with their disposable income.

I guess a policy linked to amount wagered could come in but have you seen anything formal to suggest this maybe the case? Where are you saying this has been discussed?

MattBates said:

Doubleme said:

How do you know players gambled irresponsibly? Someone losing £50 in a month maybe an amount they cant afford to lose, others can gamble £10k in a month and its affordable and just what they want to do with their disposable income.

I guess a policy linked to amount wagered could come in but have you seen anything formal to suggest this maybe the case? Where are you saying this has been discussed?

I cant know who can afford what, I don't think any of my games would break anyone anyway. I find it hard to understand the psychology of people who gamble what they cant afford, I have been following the news with regards to uk gambling law quite a bit recently but its mostly useless tabloid headlines and clickbait.

I really think my googling sucks, no I don't think I know my googleing skills suck.

the gist of what I found was that there was a pressure group consisting of 50 cross party mps who wanted to bring in extreme legislation curbing online gambling.

they proposed deposit limits staking limits time limits lots of restrictive stuff as I understand it they have not succeeded.

one such thing which made headlines a lot was a spending limit of £23 a week/£100 a month on online gambling. which was not 100% clear if it was meant to be deposit limit or staking limit but looked like deposit limit. I don't deposit on sky so would not be an issue for me if deposit limit. obviously betting limit would cripple us all.

nothing formal has said this will be the case its so far just things in the news alluring to it may be the case.