You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

RSPCA Coaching

Comments

• Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    @Arrogant, can you please tell me how weak players quitting because they cannot improve is good for the poker ecology?

Believing you can improve to b/e or winning is a motivation that keeps alot of weaker players playing. That or they accept they are losing but enjoy the game as a hobby.

Weaker players who will only carry on if they improve will find a way to do that or quit.

If a group of losing players see one of their peers improve then that will give them hope that they can do the same. Doesn't mean they will all start paying for coaching or manage to improve.

Here is a free tip...

• ArrogantArrogant Member Posts: 207
    A player quitting or go from losing to b/e or winner are all lose lose situations for everyone else on this site.Coaches accelerate this process.
  • rspca12rspca12 Member Posts: 616
    arrogant fair play man u got stamina u post more on this thread then me. in all serious u not coming across well on this thread can we agree to disagree and move on or does the sky community need more arrogant wisdom.
  • Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    I would argue that a losing player quitting is far worse than a losing player becoming b/e or even winning.

In neither case are they depositing anymore so in pure cash additions to the site they are equal.

However in the wider context, you want fewer players to quit and new players to start.

The losing player who quits will tell friends poker is rigged, or the games are too tough, the player who improves will tell losing players they can get better, they will tell their friends they are making money at poker and attract new players.

• BlairReidBlairReid Member Posts: 74
    Arrogant said:

rspca, i only just checked the video u linked.Thats quite ironic in a way because that dara guy i played alot too in sats and then a few changes/stables coming along killed them too, so the real tip u should learn from dara here is not the strat, its when to sell out.
    You see if you check slowdokes (dara) sat graph you can see he made like 400k, something alot of players where doing at the time but we all kept our graphs locked and kept printing and did our best not to let the cat out the bag.
    The you can see since 2015 doke has barely made anything in sats since then till today, during that time he started coaching and then released his book once the games were dead.

Every time I log on here I get amazed in different ways. Chris makes a thread in good spirits, offering something which is most likely great value for money, and you've spent six pages trying to derail that for some reason.

A big part of me hopes you're just trolling here. If you aren't then Phantom66 has answered your poker economy question spot on. The main consideration for mtts to run is liquidity. Obviously there's a multitude of factors than influence this. But you are completely disregarding the most important one, which has been mentioned to you, yet you just keep ignoring it and repeating your economy question. Coaching helps to bridge the gap between the best and worst players in an mtt. Which in turn leads to proportionately slightly smaller edges for the winning players in that tourney but extends the life cycle of it.

Ironically, having the best players march on in silence probably leads to the guarantees getting slashed and the tournaments dying much more quickly than the coaching that you claim is short-sighted. Hence my hopes that you're just a troll.

If you and the lads were all taking home 400k from satellites back in the day but can't see that asking repeatedly for the poker economy rationale to be explained in here will potentially do more damage to the reg/rec ratio than the RSPCA coaching then I'm at a loss. Either you weren't making as much as Doke in the sats and your sharkscope is blocked for other reasons or people were literally just giving it away.

Thinking that having net depositors lose their money as quickly as possible is best for the future of the poker economy is quite something. Failing to even acknowledge the other side of the argument is something else. But going so far as asking for the other side to be explained multiple times in a thread with views made up largely of net depositors is the best yet. Especially when all your efforts only help drive business towards RSPCA which is the one thing that, for whatever reason, you seem to want to prevent.

I'm with Reg on the fact you should keep going for entertainment value. If you aren't trolling then this is the pettiest I've seen someone act on here, and that takes some serious doing.

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,515
    Tikay10 said:

Doubleme said:

Tikay10 said:

Doubleme said:

so im not sure if I missed it I did try to skim through and see cost but could not find it.
    the thing is I am currently working on trying to improve quite a few parts of my game, and obviously if I had someone more knowledgable/skilled then me helping me do that, this is something I would be willing to pay for.

However how much? I mean if you offered 10p an hour I would be booking you immediately if you charged £500 an hour I would likely never seek to engage your services in this regard.

I seriously doubt you would charge as low as 10p an hour or as much as £500 an hour, most likely somewhere between these two extremes but without knowing how much you would be looking at charging its hard to say whether I would be interested.

@Doubleme

Your best best is to send a PM to @rspca12 , I doubt he wants to discuss terms publically. He's a good guy & I'm sure you'll benefit, though you are correct, it depends on the cost/value equation.

Good
    fair point well I don't like to waste peoples time at the moment I am grinding up my poker bankroll and cannot afford to take money out from it for coaching. this is something I would potentially be interested in when I was in the position to afford it.

If I waste his time talking about hypotheticals for a future which may or may not ever arrive I will likely get ignored months in the future if I finally do come to him for coaching.

right now whenever I am not playing I am working on ranges for heads up sngs in pokerstove.

?

You wrote;

"so im not sure if I missed it I did try to skim through and see cost but could not find it.
    the thing is I am currently working on trying to improve quite a few parts of my game, and obviously if I had someone more knowledgable/skilled then me helping me do that, this is something I would be willing to pay for."

Pleased to hear you don't wish to waste people's time though...
    Dont you dare accuse me of goingonandonandonandon, after this.
  • ArrogantArrogant Member Posts: 207
    Alright, coaching is good for all of us.
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,430
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Doubleme said:

Tikay10 said:

Doubleme said:

so im not sure if I missed it I did try to skim through and see cost but could not find it.
    the thing is I am currently working on trying to improve quite a few parts of my game, and obviously if I had someone more knowledgable/skilled then me helping me do that, this is something I would be willing to pay for.

However how much? I mean if you offered 10p an hour I would be booking you immediately if you charged £500 an hour I would likely never seek to engage your services in this regard.

I seriously doubt you would charge as low as 10p an hour or as much as £500 an hour, most likely somewhere between these two extremes but without knowing how much you would be looking at charging its hard to say whether I would be interested.

@Doubleme

Your best best is to send a PM to @rspca12 , I doubt he wants to discuss terms publically. He's a good guy & I'm sure you'll benefit, though you are correct, it depends on the cost/value equation.

Good
    fair point well I don't like to waste peoples time at the moment I am grinding up my poker bankroll and cannot afford to take money out from it for coaching. this is something I would potentially be interested in when I was in the position to afford it.

If I waste his time talking about hypotheticals for a future which may or may not ever arrive I will likely get ignored months in the future if I finally do come to him for coaching.

right now whenever I am not playing I am working on ranges for heads up sngs in pokerstove.

?

You wrote;

"so im not sure if I missed it I did try to skim through and see cost but could not find it.
    the thing is I am currently working on trying to improve quite a few parts of my game, and obviously if I had someone more knowledgable/skilled then me helping me do that, this is something I would be willing to pay for."

i just meant i am interested in coaching at some point so was curious on prices but I am not interested right now as all poker materials such as icmizer sharkscope etc has to be paid for from my poker budget/bankroll. The same for coaching this would need to be fnded from my poker bankroll and I believe currently it would hurt my bankroll to much to spend significant portions of it on poker coaching.

Once my bankroll passes a certain amount I can fund coaching.
    are you guys talking about me quite often then seems a bit weird i can be an attention seeker at times but i didnt know i was catching that much from you haysie.

@Doubleme

Haysie is replying to Tikay, you helmet.

True.
    Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Doubleme said:

Tikay10 said:

Doubleme said:

@Doubleme

Your best best is to send a PM to @rspca12 , I doubt he wants to discuss terms publically. He's a good guy & I'm sure you'll benefit, though you are correct, it depends
    on the cost/value equation.

Good

i just meant i am interested in coaching at some point so was curious on prices but I am not interested right now as all poker materials such as icmizer sharkscope etc has to be

paid for from my poker budget/bankroll. The same for coaching this would need to be fnded from my poker bankroll and I believe currently it would hurt my bankroll to much to spend significant portions of it on poker coaching.

Once my bankroll passes a certain amount I can fund coaching.
    are you guys talking about me quite often then seems a bit weird i can be an attention seeker at times but i didnt know i was catching that much from you haysie.

Stick, and wrong end of.

• chappo100chappo100 Member Posts: 116
    Maybe we should set a limit before coaching can be offered on this forum like you got to comment on x amount of strategy threads *hint* *hint* thoughts on this @rspca12
    https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/community/forums#/discussion/179533/1r-ft-hand
    :D:D:D
  • LitlGenralLitlGenral Member Posts: 5
    I actually agree with @Arrogant (despite the fact he seems to knock me out of every tournament we're in together). I think offering expert coaching to players on such a small site, especially when the player pool appears to be continually reducing in size along with the tournament guarantees - is a really short-sighted approach which will harm lots of people's bottom line going forwards (yes, mine included). Perhaps this *one* coach who coaches *five* students won't have too much of an effect, but as Arrogant mentions, when this turns into one or multiple coaches working with an increasing number of students, I really believe the days of Sky Poker as we know it are coming to an increasingly rapid end. Short-termism doesn't work for anyone in the long-term... Just my two cents...
  • TVSpiceTVSpice Member Posts: 1,240
    edited September 2020
    @LitlGenral Perhaps this *one* coach who coaches *five* students won't have too much of an effect, but as Arrogant mentions, when this turns into one or multiple coaches working with an increasing number of students,

Aren't there several players giving (and therefore several receiving) coaching already?
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,526
    It's a bit of a paradox. 'I want to win money playing poker' and 'I am teaching others to win money playing poker' in a zero sum game.
    @TVSpice yes quite possibly, but the underlying point still stands.

@kapowblamz I think the more salient point is that Sky Poker is a unique site, very very different from other poker sites out there. Amongst other things you have 1) solely 6-max 2) no antes 3) barely any new players coming into the ecosystem 4) a relatively small number of regs and LOTS of weaker players.

For points 1) and 2): Pretty much all of the available learning content (e.g. youtube, twitch, even books on poker tourneys) is geared towards play with antes and often focuses on full ring tournaments. This means that there is additional studying/mental capacity required to adapt this learning to the Sky's 6-max no-ante play (i.e. an additional barrier to becoming a winning player). Sky-specific coaches are helping to remove this extra barrier for weaker players which is an immediate step up for them (and yes, having lots of weaker players remain as weaker players is obviously a GOOD thing no matter what some people on this thread seem to think...)

For points 3) and 4) I think it's self-pretty explanatory as to why helping weaker players improve would be problematic...

All in all, offering poker coaching on this site will benefit the coach in the short term, and the student in the long term, but will negatively affect the coach in the long term, and every single other player on the site.

I appreciate that my perspective comes from that of someone who is purely self-interested in making as much money as possible, but realistically that's why 99% of us are here, no? Would any of us continue to play here if the site was infested with good regs? I doubt it somehow.
    I wouldn't worry about the antes. AFAIK the anteless games are not a feature, they're a software limitation, and when this flutter debacle comes to a head we'll either be in with the big boys and their antes or we'll have new software, with antes.
    No you've missed my point - tourneys play differently depending on whether antes are involved or not (shoving ranges, reshoving ranges, calling ranges etc). Obviously you know all this already, but the point is that lots of weaker players will simply copy what they see on youtube/twitch, whereas the players they are watching are playing tourneys with antes so any strategy needs to be adjusted accordingly for ante-less play. This is where coaching will help and very quickly fix leaks.

Regardless, the point about antes is not the most important one, really the problem is Sky's inability/unwillingness to attract new players, which as we all know is where the money comes from!
    My point about antes was that the ante-less games aren't going to be around much longer. So, whatever players are taught about ante-less games now will not be worth much soon anyway.
    Ok yeah sorry I misread your previous post, I understand what you're saying.

In all honesty I would be very surprised if Sky Poker gets a revamp as it currently is - it clearly isn't a very profitable part of the business, there are lots of tourneys which don't meet the guarantee and the prize pools have been getting smaller and smaller. Realistically I think it is on its last legs as a standalone player pool and will likely be merged with a larger one in the very near future (actual speed probably dependent on Covid implications).