You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

abuse on chat box

Jeni82Jeni82 Member Posts: 60
folks- checking the policy on abuse on chatrooms? e.g. being called a donkey? does a player get blocked for a bit or is it fair play? I generally dont mind the abuse but got to me today. just thought I would check before moving off chat (which for the most part I have enjoyed).

Comments

• Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    Report people to customer care if you're unhappy with what they're saying in the chatbox - They will then decide what action (if any) to take against that player.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,150

@Jeni82

For serious abuse, report it & if appropriate they will issue a chat ban.

Unfortunately, in this day & age people tend to be quite rude in the chatbox, & they would not ban anyone for "donkey". Comfort yourself with knowing they would never in a million years say it in "Live" poker, face to face, they would not have the guts.
  • Options
    CadleyXCadleyX Member Posts: 20
    Jeni82 said:

folks- checking the policy on abuse on chatrooms? e.g. being called a donkey? does a player get blocked for a bit or is it fair play? I generally dont mind the abuse but got to me today. just thought I would check before moving off chat (which for the most part I have enjoyed).

Jeni82 said:

They are generally trying to get under your skin to make up for their own lack of skill/confidence - pay them no heed.
  • Options
    @Tikay10 : thank you! I was literally thinking the same thing... in a live game you are so unlikely to be abusive. It’s also useful to know about the reporting but for now I think I will go off chat and contribute more in the forum here.
  • Options
    @CadleyX : yes, fair play on angling to get an edge. I get your point too on ignoring, that’s what I have tried to do in the past as the good chats far far out weighed the bad ones. What triggered me today was the name calling or maybe I just wanted @Tikay10 to
    Mention me if I made a final table. Am not sure 😇
  • Options
    Jeni82 said:

@CadleyX : yes, fair play on angling to get an edge. I get your point too on ignoring, that’s what I have tried to do in the past as the good chats far far out weighed the bad ones. What triggered me today was the name calling or maybe I just wanted @Tikay10 to
    Mention me if I made a final table.
    Am not sure 😇

Ha, well now you are a Forum user, you qualify. You just have to make a Final now. ;)

• Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    Calling someone a donkey is standard poker chat. If the they went further than that or were insulting individual plays fair enough. But just saying donkey? Abuse? Really? That is far too sensitive. Keep the chat box turned off.
  • Options
    @gregkdy82 agree, it is being sensitive as I am using live play as the benchmark which is likely not fair. Would you like to describe what could be further? If not, guess you can understand why I didn’t want to post it on the forum.
  • Options
    RinkhalsRinkhals Member Posts: 212
    edited September 2020
    Tikay10 said:

@Jeni82

Unfortunately, in this day & age people tend to be quite rude in the chatbox, & they would not ban anyone for "donkey". Comfort yourself with knowing they would never in a million years say it in "Live" poker, face to face, they would not have the guts.

Have to put my hand up @Tikay10 and admit that one of the reasons I tend not to play live is because I tend to say just exactly what I'm thinking. I have Asperger's and sometimes the words just coe spewing out, much to the amusement / horror of people around me lol.

It's not that I'm trying to be offensive, just unlike neuro typical people I don't posses an off switch telling me when I should just shut my mouth and NOT call the guy who just stacked me with garbage a xxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxx xxx who's mom xxxxx xxxxx xxxxxx lol.

• Options

@Rinkhals

Yeah, probably very wise to stick to Online. ;)

Back in the day - maybe 15 years ago - there was a regular on the southern Live Circuit, mainly Gutshot, who had quite bad Tourettes.

He could not help himself, but when he hit his hand he insta-blurted - FLUSH or SET or whatever. Bit of a tell, that. He maybe should have stuck to Online, too.

True story bro.
  • Options
    eon1961eon1961 Member Posts: 1,795
    Just ignore abusive players
  • Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    Jeni82 said:

@gregkdy82 agree, it is being sensitive as I am using live play as the benchmark which is likely not fair. Would you like to describe what could be further? If not, guess you can understand why I didn’t want to post it on the forum.

Don't really understand if you are asking me what is going to far or if you are saying more was said but you didn't want to post it on forum?

On other sites they actually encourage these kind of insults by enabling donkeys to be thrown across table or by providing fish emojis in the chat.

What is not on, is tearing apart someone's plays in the chat and saying certain words that are unacceptable in everyday life.

Personally I love getting a bit of abuse in the chat. It always makes me think of the of how mad and tilted the person who is typing it must be because of me and that makes me very happy.

There is one guy in particular who has been giving me abuse since near the time I started playing here. I remember when my account was two months old he said I was the 'luckiest donkey he had ever seen' and 'he couldn't believe I was winning' and it's went on from there until this day. The last few games I played against him he was ranting and raving about me having some sort of 'machine' and signed off after yet another defeat by saying "I just don't know how you do it. A below average player winning thousands for 2 years now" haha 😂 moments like that are better than actually winning the money for me.

If someone actually really thinks you are a complete idiot and they are easily winning your money they are going to be real nice to you in the chat. So you should take any insults as an indication you must be doing something right.
  • Options

Yup, 95% of chat abuse is when the villain loses the hand. Bad losers, don't you just love them?
  • Options
    @gregkdy82 : Thanks for taking the time to elaborate. To answer your question i meant a bit of both and reading your second response was helpful. Part of the reason I posted here was to get a sense on if I was being too sensitive. In this tourney there were a few ppl and it got under my skin, though seeing their sharksope rating helped.

I actually don't mind my play being questioned and in some cases value a good discussion.
  • Options
    onejohnbonejohnb Member Posts: 193
    You could always move over to the dark side and play plo8. You'll find we are a far friendlier bunch of folk.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @onejohnb I will be the biggest fish on a PLO table so I am sure I would get friendly ppl there :)