You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,515
    chilling said:

Poorer people have less choice? 💡 You’re embarrassing yourself.

Those that are struggling to make ends meet clearly have less choice in just about everything.
    chilling said:

I think Ive found the level of debate you like, and the tone.

Those who dish it out need to learn how to take it.

I dont think you know what a debate is.
    edited October 2020
    How do you think trading on WTO rules will affect us?

Will tariffs mean higher prices for consumers?

Do you think we should be breaking International Law?

What do you think we should do in regard to the Irish border?

Do you think fishing is important, when it turns over less than Harrods?

Do you think Boris is prepared to break International Law because he didnt understand the implications of the Withdrawal Agreement that he signed, or that he understood the implications, but always planned to go back on his word?

What happened to his oven ready deal?

What do you think of the chances of the trade deal with the USA?

How would the EU stop chlorinated chicken, and hormone fed beef entering the single market without border checks?

How do you reconcile taking back control of our borders with not having one?

Passports for truck drivers to get into Kent?
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,806
    edited October 2020
    I have removed a few recent posts, not sure Sky Poker are ready yet for some of the recent stuff on this thread.

Sorry to be Mr Wet Blanket, but let's try to retain a modicum of class & dignity please.

TIA

• chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    WTO.
    No thoughts on that at all, why would I?
    Most of the countries in the world are experiencing big recessions, so deals between countries should be at the forefront for most of their leaders.
    After the printing of all this money, inflation is normally the standard. Countries will be in the mire if inflation doesn’t come through at some stage.

At this moment in time, I’ve no thoughts on the Irish border whatsoever.

Fishing is a political issue, not a financial one, which imo gives it more weight.
    You do realise that passed figures on trade mean nothing at all, at this time.
    Trade will be totally disjointed. For instance, new car sales are down 20 to 30%.
    We import a fair amount of cars from the EU.
    If there’s a no deal, I’d expect fishing to become more financial, especially domestically.
    The U.K. can fairly easily ramp up meat and poultry production if needed.
    We could also cut meat imports from the EU if needed. That will depend on how ugly things could get.

Send an email or letter to Boris over your concerns to the possibly breaking of an international law.I took it as we found a loophole, that could tuck us up.

Oven ready deal.
    Did not all the commentators say it would take years to do a deal?
    Whether they do one or not,they would have come close within in a year.
    Which suggests the current talks are close to the “ oven ready deal”.
    Why if you took Boris for his every word, would you need to negotiate the “ oven ready deal?”
    Stay alert.
    If the deal is no good for us , then walk away.
    Do you think most countries will be thriving next year?
    If you follow politics, you would know it takes most governments at least two years to implement only a few of the things in their manifestos. Don’t hold your breath with Brexit or the continuation of the world pandemic.
    I’d expect some sort of trade with the US, why wouldn’t there be?
    We already trade with the US.

Chlorinated chicken.

Are you the spokesperson for the poor people?
    Why will the less well off feel the need to buy chlorinated chicken?
    Are you assuming something?
    Is it because it’s their main source of protein, or they just like the taste?
    Guess what, there are many sources of protein.
    Guess what, chlorinated chicken tastes like chicken.
    Surely the Skypoker players that have visited Vegas in years gone by, must have been falling like dead flies. Maybe they just tucked into their poultry and meat, and survived.
    Is Skypoker putting players health at risk by organising trips to Vegas?
    Maybe take a packed lunch next time.

Taking control of our borders.
    Your thread that goes by the same name, is a little premature.
    There is massive scope for changes to our borders,seeing as they were so loose.
    I’d rather wait into the New Year for anything that’s being planned.
    All this rush, rush, last minute goods tosh, is quite clearly not going to be a major hindrance as demand must have dropped off. Or it will when the free money stops.
    How difficult is it to take a passport and show it? What makes that difficult?

Regarding borders for immigration, there are 80million displaced persons, with 25 million being refugees. There’s 3 billion people earning less than $2.50 a day.
    All would like a better life, or you’d presume that.
    How does taking in a few thousand help the situation?
    All it’s doing is encouraging crime, and barely scratching the surface of the total.

Btw, I don’t deflect anything, I take an overview, unlike your polarised view.

• chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    edited October 2020
    Tikay10 said:

I have removed a few recent posts, not sure Sky Poker are ready yet for some of the recent stuff on this thread.

Sorry to be Mr Wet Blanket, but let's try to retain a modicum of class & dignity please.

TIA

I’m finding this quite interesting, to a point.
    Are there standards to bet met?
    For instance, if most of the cartoons that HAYSIE puts up, were on fb, you’d have lefties and righties hurling insults over them. Those are offensive to some, ridiculing,even fat shaming.
    In other words , bullying and hateful.
    I had commented on folks who are obese,which never went down well. But I say it as I see it,and it’s fairly accurate during these times.The recent shots I uploaded were representing folks that don’t care what they eat.
    So if the mods are ok with at least three threads containing the fore mentioned, and Boris has made the effort to get into better shape, and is being constantly uploaded as a bloated fella and ridiculed, and those cartoons number in probably the hundreds,what was the point of the QAnon thread? Were they not both spreading hate?

Or is there a bias?

If I opened up a centre right thread on here,as a person that likes to see a successful buisness, I’d get called a racist or fascist.

This isn’t a whinge, I just like to know the boundaries you’ve set.
    Just to see what is “ class” and what isn’t.
    Brexit: Michel Barnier told to stay home after Boris Johnson says EU 'abandoned free trade deal'

The UK's chief Brexit negotiator has told his European counterpart not to come to London on Monday to resolve stalled talks, after the prime minister warned it was time to "get ready" to leave without a deal.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/brexit-boris-johnson-says-time-115600612.html
    Experts claim Boris Johnson’s ‘thin’ EU deal will cause major economic upset

However, there are concerns within government and industry that the dire threat of a no-deal outcome has masked the impact of a “thin” EU deal on trade. While a deal will remove tariffs on trade, significant “non-tariff barriers” will be imposed, adding serious costs on manufacturers and practical difficulties for hauliers – while the UK’s large services sector is also expected to be subject to new barriers. Philip Rycroft, who ran the Brexit department until last year, said that negotiators were essentially hammering out “the extent of new barriers to trade”.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/experts-claim-boris-johnson-s-thin-eu-deal-will-cause-major-economic-upset/ar-BB1a8ElC?ocid=msedgntp
    chilling said:

Tikay10 said:

TIA

For instance, if most of the cartoons that HAYSIE puts up, were on fb, you’d have lefties and righties hurling insults over them. Those are offensive to some, ridiculing,even fat shaming.
    I had commented on folks who are obese,which never went down well. But I say it as I see it,and it’s fairly accurate during these times.The recent shots I uploaded were representing folks that don’t care what they eat.
    So if the mods are ok with at least three threads containing the fore mentioned, and Boris has made the effort to get into better shape, and is being constantly uploaded as a bloated fella and ridiculed, and those cartoons number in probably the hundreds,what was the point of the QAnon thread? Were they not both spreading hate?

Or is there a bias?

If I opened up a centre right thread on here,as a person that likes to see a successful buisness, I’d get called a racist or fascist.

You have completely lost it.
    chilling said:

WTO.
    Most of the countries in the world are experiencing big recessions, so deals between countries should be at the forefront for most of their leaders.
    After the printing of all this money, inflation is normally the standard. Countries will be in the mire if inflation doesn’t come through at some stage.

Fishing is a political issue, not a financial one, which imo gives it more weight.
    Trade will be totally disjointed. For instance, new car sales are down 20 to 30%.
    If there’s a no deal, I’d expect fishing to become more financial, especially domestically.
    We could also cut meat imports from the EU if needed. That will depend on how ugly things could get.

Send an email or letter to Boris over your concerns to the possibly breaking of an international law.I took it as we found a loophole, that could tuck us up.

Oven ready deal.
    Why if you took Boris for his every word, would you need to negotiate the “ oven ready deal?”
    Stay alert.
    If you follow politics, you would know it takes most governments at least two years to implement only a few of the things in their manifestos. Don’t hold your breath with Brexit or the continuation of the world pandemic.

Chlorinated chicken.

Surely the Skypoker players that have visited Vegas in years gone by, must have been falling like dead flies. Maybe they just tucked into their poultry and meat, and survived.

All this rush, rush, last minute goods tosh, is quite clearly not going to be a major hindrance as demand must have dropped off. Or it will when the free money stops.

Regarding borders for immigration, there are 80million displaced persons, with 25 million being refugees. There’s 3 billion people earning less than $2.50 a day.
    All it’s doing is encouraging crime, and barely scratching the surface of the total.

If you think this post actually answers the questions, you are kidding yourself.
    chilling said:

Tikay10 said:

TIA

Or is there a bias?

Only you could think a post that included an image of a pig with the word f...k all over it, would be acceptable, and that it represented people that are prepared to eat anything.
    How could the image of a pig and the word f...k send this message?
    Many people eat pigs in the form of bacon, ham, pork chops, but wouldnt be prepared to eat anything.
    I post cartoons that are published in the national press, your post would never appear in a daily newspaper.
    Many of your posts dont seem to mean anything.
    BTW if the above wasnt meant to be a whinge, it sounded very much like one.
    chilling said:

WTO.

Because you are the man that knows everything, about everything.
    How can you say you have no thoughts?
    You voted for Brexit.
    You are happy with no deal.
    Are you happy with tariffs?
    What about increased prices for consumers?

More distraction.

Really, how can the man that knows everything, seriously think he is debating by saying he has nothing to say about anything?
    WTO rules state that where two different customs territories meet there must be a border.
    There is no example anywhere in the world where there is no border between two different customs territories.
    So where do you think that our border with the EU should be?
    How can you have any understanding of Brexit, without any knowledge of WTO trading, or the Irish border?
    Why do people say "at this moment in time"?
    Why dont they just say "now"?

Explain it then?

Fishing represents 0,01% of GDP.
    That means one tenth of one percent.
    We sell 75% of our fish to Europe.
    What are we going to do with them?
    Will they still buy them with tariffs on them?

I think you mean past.
    I do.
    I think that a trade deal with no quotas or tariffs is likely to affect trade much less than no deal.
    Tariffs will mean that our current trading levels will be a thing of the past.

Trade will be totally disjointed.

How does trade become disjointed?

For instance, new car sales are down 20 to 30%.

And?
    More distraction.
    Tariffs are likely to reduce sales further.
    This is the Brexit thread.
    The current reduction in car sales is unlikely to be down to Brexit, as you may have noticed that we havent properly left yet.

And?

How does fishing become financial?
    You said it wasnt financial earlier.
    What does that actually mean?

Really?
    Why would we?

Why would things get ugly?
    What do mean by ugly?
    Tariffs?

It is not a loophole.
    The Bill breaks International Law.
    Unless of course the government were lying when they said it did.

Oven ready deal.

That is what he said.

The referendum was in 2016.
    So for years to not get a deal, so far.
    He said it was oven ready last December.

They have had 4.

You obviously dont understand what oven ready means, but that comes as no real surprise.

I am not sure what this sentence is supposed to mean?
    The whole point of an oven ready deal, is that it is already negotiated.

Stay alert.

Ha ha.
    You are deluded.

It was supposed to be oven ready?
    How could it be both oven ready, and no good?

More distraction.

Because of the Internal Market Bill.

We do, on WTO terms, as we havent got a trade deal with them.

America is also the UK’s second largest export market. It accounted for 19% of the value of UK exports in 2016/17, second only to the EU as a whole, which bought 44% of UK exports.

It's also the second largest import market in 2016/17. 11% of the value of our imports came from the US, compared to 53% from the rest of the EU.

Chlorinated chicken.

Had you watched the programme you wouldnt have such a foolish view.
    Many of the concerns expressed were long term health worries.
    I dont think there has ever been a worry that you could keel over and die after eating a piece of chlorinated chicken.
    To suggest that is really stupid.
    It is not only chlorinated chicken, that is a worry, there is hormone injected beef, unclean pork production, GM crops, and the levels of pesticides used in fruit growing.
    There is a question mark over some of their food production methods increasing levels of cancer.
    This will not be measurable in the short term.
    I can remember successive UK governments assuring us for many years that there were no health risks associated with smoking.
    I am not a spokesperson for poor people, but it would be obvious to anyone with half a brain, that those struggling to make ends meet, will have less choice when it comes to more expensive healthier food.

Nonsense.
    We could have had much more control of our borders while we were still in the EU.
    Try getting in the USA.
    We have around 1.5 million illegal immigrants living here.
    I think we should take our fair share of asylum seekers, but dont agree with unlimited illegal immigration.
    How can we be taking back control of our borders if we dont have one between the UK and Ireland?

What is your point?

Not sure that many of your fellow Tories will share that view?

It only helps if lots of countries take their fair share.
    There is a difference between asylum seekers, and economic migrants.

You got any crime figures?
    How does it encourage crime?

You are constantly deflecting.
    I have complimented the government where I have felt they deserved it, like the financial package on the national lockdown, they just havent deserved it on many occasions.
    You on the other hand cant hear of any criticism of the government, and continually resort to deflection, where the criticism is indefensible.
    On many aspects you dont seem to have a view, rather than an overview.

You latest few posts have made me realise why you prefer to go into hiding rather than answering questions.
    You never answer the follow ups.

Theresa May recoiled like she'd found an ancient kipper in the fridge: HENRY DEEDES watches the former Prime Minister's incredulous reactions to Michael Gove's Brexit statement

We had anger, we had insults. There was even a crosspatch cameo from Theresa May. Yes, after weeks of Covid caterwauling, it was back to good old Brexit.

Michael Gove had come to the Chamber to issue a statement on our trade negotiations with the EU. Or, rather, the lack thereof: the PM warned last week that the UK must prepare to trade on ‘Australia-style’ terms (code for No Deal) after talks with Brussels hit an impasse.

For an entire hour we heard no talk of ‘upticks’ in infection rates, no depressing death tolls, no news of increased hospital admissions or any of that ‘moonshot’ malarkey. Sheer bliss.

Whoever would have thought John Redwood droning on about the wickedness of the Common Agricultural Policy could sound so sweet?

Mr Gove announced that the Government had hoped to strike a deal with the EU – but as things stood, ‘that will not happen’. The EU, he said, was failing to ‘intensify’ the talks.

‘[They] must realise they are dealing with an independent nation now,’ he warned. Cue a volley of hearty ‘yer-yers’ from behind.

Gove added that the Government’s negotiating door ‘remains ajar’ but come December 31, we will be taking back control with or without a deal.

Answering for Labour was Rachel Reeves. Ms Reeves does not care for Mr Gove. Regards him as a slippery eel.

Her tuba-like voice booms with disgust whenever she addresses him.

I fear you could no more charm Rachel than you could a particularly surly airport customs official. The idea of No Deal left her bubbling with irritation.

‘They can call it “No Deal”, they can call it an “Australia deal”, they can call it a “Narnia deal” as far as I’m concerned! But ... let’s be honest about how damaging it is for the country,’ she honked.

The former PM pointed out that not once had Gove even mentioned what No Deal would mean for security matters.

Gove responded that the UK could co-operate more effectively over border security outside the bloc ‘than we ever could inside’.

May recoiled as if she’d just found a three-week-old kipper at the back of the fridge. ‘Utter rubbish!’ she mouthed.

Insults from Opposition benches flowed freely. The SNP’s Pete Wishart advised Gove to ‘awa’ an bile yer heid!’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8857109/HENRY-DEEDES-watches-Theresa-Mays-incredulous-reactions-Michael-Goves-Brexit-statement.html
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,296
    What makes Gove more dangerous than Boris is a) he's more intelligent-but not in a good way and b) he's so closely aligned to DomCum, its frightening.

Just watch the BBC drama 'Roadkill' to play out Gove's final destination
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,296
    HAYSIE said:

Theresa May recoiled like she'd found an ancient kipper in the fridge: HENRY DEEDES watches the former Prime Minister's incredulous reactions to Michael Gove's Brexit statement

We had anger, we had insults. There was even a crosspatch cameo from Theresa May. Yes, after weeks of Covid caterwauling, it was back to good old Brexit.

Michael Gove had come to the Chamber to issue a statement on our trade negotiations with the EU. Or, rather, the lack thereof: the PM warned last week that the UK must prepare to trade on ‘Australia-style’ terms (code for No Deal) after talks with Brussels hit an impasse.

For an entire hour we heard no talk of ‘upticks’ in infection rates, no depressing death tolls, no news of increased hospital admissions or any of that ‘moonshot’ malarkey. Sheer bliss.

Whoever would have thought John Redwood droning on about the wickedness of the Common Agricultural Policy could sound so sweet?

Mr Gove announced that the Government had hoped to strike a deal with the EU – but as things stood, ‘that will not happen’. The EU, he said, was failing to ‘intensify’ the talks.

‘[They] must realise they are dealing with an independent nation now,’ he warned. Cue a volley of hearty ‘yer-yers’ from behind.

Gove added that the Government’s negotiating door ‘remains ajar’ but come December 31, we will be taking back control with or without a deal.

Answering for Labour was Rachel Reeves. Ms Reeves does not care for Mr Gove. Regards him as a slippery eel.

Her tuba-like voice booms with disgust whenever she addresses him.

I fear you could no more charm Rachel than you could a particularly surly airport customs official. The idea of No Deal left her bubbling with irritation.

‘They can call it “No Deal”, they can call it an “Australia deal”, they can call it a “Narnia deal” as far as I’m concerned! But ... let’s be honest about how damaging it is for the country,’ she honked.

The former PM pointed out that not once had Gove even mentioned what No Deal would mean for security matters.

Gove responded that the UK could co-operate more effectively over border security outside the bloc ‘than we ever could inside’.

May recoiled as if she’d just found a three-week-old kipper at the back of the fridge. ‘Utter rubbish!’ she mouthed.

Insults from Opposition benches flowed freely. The SNP’s Pete Wishart advised Gove to ‘awa’ an bile yer heid!’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8857109/HENRY-DEEDES-watches-Theresa-Mays-incredulous-reactions-Michael-Goves-Brexit-statement.html

Clearly Sharma is speaking from the same hymn sheet as Gove.....

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/special-shows/call-cabinet/alok-sharma-struggles-to-explain-difference-between-no-deal-and-australia-style/?fbclid=IwAR2BROSE87td_Cz23j2OdNvs8EnUi1JGpNi7pNQ2nWWK5DvK5QR7sABGx20
    chilling said:

WTO.

Brexit: Peers inflict heaviest defeat for more than 20 years over bill that will break international law

Peers opposing the Brexit bill that the government admitted will break international law have inflicted the heaviest defeat for more than 20 years.

A motion warning the legislation “would undermine the rule of law and damage the reputation of the United Kingdom” was passed by 395 votes to 169 – a majority of 226.

A total of 39 Conservative peers rebelled against Boris Johnson, including Lord Keen of Elie, the former advocate general for Scotland, who resigned over the Internal Market Bill last month.

Lord Judge, a former lord chief justice, who proposed the regret amendment, said: "The fact of the matter is the law would be broken.

“There can be no getting away from it. You don't have to be a lawyer to understand the reputational damage to the United Kingdom.

“We cannot resile from the fact that we are breaking the law if this bill is enacted.”

The Constitution Unit, a research centre, said the defeat was the biggest government defeat in the House of Lords since reform in 1999.

The legislation provoked uproar in the EU and the USA, by paving the way to override the withdrawal agreement on the use of state aid and the customs checks required on goods crossing the Irish Sea.

The prime minister was accused of bringing a no-deal Brexit significantly closer and of undermining the still-fragile peace in Northern Ireland.

And, defending the “limited, contingent proposals" in the bill, he said the government “does not accept that these safeguard provisions render our country, as has been claimed, an international pariah”.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/brexit-peers-inflict-heaviest-defeat-153908902.html