You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Hand Advice Please - Did I Play the Streets Correctly?

Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 777
edited October 2020 in Poker Chat
Hi all,

Played the below hand last night and would like some advice on it if possible. Apologies if I post hands over-frequently and I appreciate that I've posted some basic ones for advice in the past, but I found this one quite interesting and has a few talking points. I initially came away thinking that I'd played it extremely poorly and got very lucky, but upon reflection I perhaps didn't play it as badly as I initially thought.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
john28321Small blind£0.02£0.02£11.60
rockettopBig blind£0.04£0.06£4.60
Your hole cards
  • J
devonfish5Fold
Malps17Raise£0.12£0.18£7.53
Asho28Raise£0.42£0.60£7.67
john28321Fold
rockettopFold
Malps17Raise£0.78£1.38£6.75
Asho28Call£0.48£1.86£7.19
Flop
  • A
  • Q
Malps17Bet£0.96£2.82£5.79
Asho28Call£0.96£3.78£6.23
Turn
Malps17Check
Asho28Check
River
  • K
Malps17Bet£3.78£7.56£2.01
Asho28All-in£6.23£13.79£0.00
Malps17All-in£2.01£15.80£0.00
Asho28Unmatched bet£0.44£15.36£0.44
Malps17Show
  • K
  • K
Asho28Show
  • J
Asho28WinStraight to the Ace£14.20£14.64

Talking points:

1) Is it fine to re-raise and polarise with J10 suited from the button, or it is just not necessary in this particular scenario.
2) Am I priced in to call the 3 bet pre-flop? I think a bigger raise of, say, around £1.50 and I probably fold the hand. Looked a loose call at first but I felt I was priced in with a hand that flops well. Or should've I just folded regardless.
3) Am I getting the correct odds the call the flop bet and take another card with the double gutshot, with the view to giving up on the turn to further aggression from my opponent? I felt I just about was.
4) If the river had come a blank (e.g. a 3) would there be any merit to raising big/bluff-shoving the river, given that it was unlikely my opponent had an ace based on his turn check.

Hand was from 2/4 cash
In terms of my opponent, I have played a lot of hands against him at these stakes previously and I consider him to be one of the better players. Would say he's fairly tight usually.

If anyone has chance to analyse the hand for me and point out any errors I made/things I should've done differently, it would be greatly appreciated.

Asho

Comments

• Options
    heddoh18heddoh18 Member Posts: 43
    Looks fine to me
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,239
    Hi Ash

I ran this hand through Poker Snowie.

It does suggest a call or fold pre but the margins were so slight that a raise was fine as well.

The only real difference was the turn where it suggested a half pot bet after it is checked to you rather than checking back.

I also put the 3 in on the river and messed around with betting sizes but anything over a quarter of the pot and it says its a fold. Off course if he checked to you on that river then its a definate bet

GL

• Options
    edited October 2020
    MP33 said:

Hi Ash

I ran this hand through Poker Snowie.

It does suggest a call or fold pre but the margins were so slight that a raise was fine as well.

The only real difference was the turn where it suggested a half pot bet after it is checked to you rather than checking back.

I also put the 3 in on the river and messed around with betting sizes but anything over a quarter of the pot and it says its a fold. Off course if he checked to you on that river then its a definate bet

GL

@MP33

Hi mate, thanks for that.

In hindsight, I think betting the turn after the opponent checked was something I should've done if I didn't think he had an ace. Only issue would have been if my opponent then jammed on me forcing me to fold, albeit this would've been unlikely as played.

Never used Poker Snowie - is it worth getting/using?
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,239

Still making my mind up on it - Some of the decisions seem a bit tight

As for the layout and how it works i think its great.

Theres a review on youtube from Johnathon Little although i don,t always trust those. Not sure if he got paid for that.

Best thing to do is to get the 10 day free trial

GL
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    MP33 said:

Still making my mind up on it - Some of the decisions seem a bit tight

As for the layout and how it works i think its great.

Theres a review on youtube from Johnathon Little although i don,t always trust those. Not sure if he got paid for that.

Best thing to do is to get the 10 day free trial

GL

Might be worth me taking the trial and seeing if it benefits me then.

Been watching quite of few of Jonathan Little's content on YouTube - not sure how he compares to the rest of coaches and resources out there but has helped me improve a few areas of my game