You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Really Sky - come on !! Player names.........

choco_wallchoco_wall Member Posts: 3
Imagine my surprise to sit at a table tonight with someone with the user name sambo_42.

I'm quite a liberal sort of person, you know letting people express themselves freely etc. However, i do draw the line at certain references, especially in todays society. The use of the word sambo is one !

Let me show you a dictionary definition of the word :

Sambo is a dated name in American English derived from a term for a person of mixed African and Amerindian ancestry. The name then came to be applied to Black persons of various degrees of European admixture: mulatto, quadroon, octoroon, etc., in American[1] and British English.[2]

As a proper noun in present-day English it is likely offensive, particularly if used as a term of address.

Please could you review your policies on some of the terminology used in one or two of the players names ? it is 2020 after all.....

Comments

• kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,526
    Sambo is a dance.

Sambo is a type of martial art.

Sambo is a common nickname for somebody with the surname Samuel.

There are probably a bunch more uses.

Perhaps you should suggest we remove the colour black or brown from society too?

Just get on with your day and take that chip off your shoulder.
  • choco_wallchoco_wall Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2020
    Forgive my ignorance for referencing the word as a specific racial slur.

You are definitaly correct with one or two of your assumptions

No there is a dance move called the Samba

Yes there is a Russian Martial art called Sambo

No i can't find any reference to it being a "nickname" for Samuel

Yes i think you'll find that in the majority of cases here in the Uk and further afield, it's used as a racial slur on people from the black community.

But its a good job im more ignorant than you !!
  • Vince_107Vince_107 Member Posts: 70
    Seems pretty likely it's a dude called Sam whos nickname is Sambo... feel like it's a pretty common Sam nickname. Like people called Tim can get called Timbo. Can't say i've ever heard of the racial slur. Heard some Sam's called Sambo though
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,526
    It's not ignorance, it's pedantry, or just straight up karen-ism.

If someone being called Sambo offends you then you are going to spend your whole life furious.
  • ITSQUADSYITSQUADSY Member Posts: 55
    Played rugby with a sambo too

Needless to say it was not a racial slur, lol
  • mushroom1mushroom1 Member Posts: 645
    edited November 2020

Imagine my surprise to sit at a table tonight with someone with the user name sambo_42.

I'm quite a liberal sort of person, you know letting people express themselves freely etc. However, i do draw the line at certain references, especially in todays society. The use of the word sambo is one !

Let me show you a dictionary definition of the word :

Sambo is a dated name in American English derived from a term for a person of mixed African and Amerindian ancestry. The name then came to be applied to Black persons of various degrees of European admixture: mulatto, quadroon, octoroon, etc., in American[1] and British English.[2]

As a proper noun in present-day English it is likely offensive, particularly if used as a term of address.

Please could you review your policies on some of the terminology used in one or two of the players names ? it is 2020 after all.....

We now live in a world where context is automatically assumed by a third-party.

Do you not see the obvious flaw to this?

As a matter of course, confirmation of context can only be determined by the effectuator.

Are you on Twitter? If not, I recommend you get on there immediately, you'll love it.
  • chappo100chappo100 Member Posts: 116
    edited November 2020
    omg on a billboard in cheltenham there was a legit advertisment for cocoa girl magazine, cracked me up. literally FYL if your name is Sam, Sammy got taken by the women now Sambos been taken by the russians. Samo just doesnt work, if your nickname doesnt end in an o or and eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee is it even a nickname?
  • mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,268
    I used to work with a chap called Sam Lembo.

We did never come up with a nickname for him.
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 6,967
    miniman88 said:

Your name is choco_wall. Choco is slang in australian for a person of colour. This can be seen as racist also.

Liberal people are what's wrong with society today, taking offense to every single thing they're not happy with when they twist it into their line of ideology.

I would literally lump every penny I have that this guys name is Sam and sambo is some form of nickname for him.

@miniman88 totally agree and by their warped logic your name could be construed to be derogatory to the vertically challenged... :D .
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,267
    lucy4 said:

miniman88 said:

Your name is choco_wall. Choco is slang in australian for a person of colour. This can be seen as racist also.

Liberal people are what's wrong with society today, taking offense to every single thing they're not happy with when they twist it into their line of ideology.

I would literally lump every penny I have that this guys name is Sam and sambo is some form of nickname for him.

@miniman88 totally agree and by their warped logic your name could be construed to be derogatory to the vertically challenged... :D .
    @MattBates?
  • mushroom1mushroom1 Member Posts: 645
    Enut said:

I used to have a mate called Sam, his nickname was Sambo, he was black. This made it awkward when out and about and shouting Sambo to get his attention, so in homage to these politically correct times I defriended him.

A true ally. :D
  • DoooobsDoooobs Member Posts: 240
    It seems really straightforward. The rules are that you can't pick a name that may cause offence, so the name should be changed. The word has been used offensively since I was a kid and I am not that young.

I am sure civilisation will not end if the player has to change his name to Sammy42, Samba42 or SamBoy42 or whatever.
  • bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,699
    Can someone please take offence to my alias, I’ve been wanting to change it for years.
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,483
    Doooobs said:

It seems really straightforward. The rules are that you can't pick a name that may cause offence, so the name should be changed. The word has been used offensively since I was a kid and I am not that young.

I am sure civilisation will not end if the player has to change his name to Sammy42, Samba42 or SamBoy42 or whatever.

Your alias offends flat chested women. Did you use an upside down calculator to come up with it? Very childish.

Oh....it starts with a D, not a B. Carry on.
  • The--DonThe--Don Member Posts: 388
    Sweet Jesus!

I've seen some diabolical threads down the years but this one has to be one of the worst.

• mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,268
    If your going to open this can of worms.

What about this list ?

The first words that popped into my head for research purposes.

Anal offends me (unless its true love).

You'll have to scratch Analogue too, even though its innocent the word is there.

• ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 903
    Doooobs said:

Your name is similar to a slang term for a joint (doobie) and could offend too; anyone's name could offend if someone looks hard enough to be offended.

Threads like this make me despair.