You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Tax Rises.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 33,146
Rishi Sunak warns taxes WILL rise in the spring

Rishi Sunak has hinted that taxes could rise in the Spring as Britain attempts to balance the books following the coronavirus crisis.

The Chancellor is set to outline a £100billion plan for long-term infrastructure investment and a £3billion package of new spending to support the NHS in recovering from the pandemic.

But in an interview ahead of his spending review on Wednesday, he warned that Britain is experiencing an 'economic shock' that must be paid for somehow.

Mr Sunak has said some combination of spending cuts and tax rises are anticipated following the crisis but added it is a 'question of timing' while the economy is in difficulty.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/rishi-sunak-warns-taxes-will-rise-in-the-spring/ar-BB1beWxT?ocid=msedgntp

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    HANSONHANSON Member Posts: 897
    edited November 2020
    Brexit was always going to be hard and there was always going to be cost to the GDP and some hardship for the UK taxpayer which was never in doubt now top it off with Covid and the associated spending which every country is having to deal with, the UK has a double whammy as for Brexit in the UK we have had roughly 4 years to get ready if you have not then tuff as for Covid no one was prepared for it and it shows from the response numbers of infected go down and its open for business numbers go up oh mistake but you can still carry on there is no easy fix anywhere or a endless pot of money to dip into some one has to pay in the end for there debt and it will be the tax payers
  • Options
    Haysie your slating everything the government do and your only solution is as far as BREXIT is reverse it thou i do agree on that but we are as i see it on the losing side on that one , as for Covid well what is your solution to a world wide pandemic and how to keep everyone and every business happy with this double whammy .. what's the solution giving them money ? that is not a solution some one has to pay ... and it will be the tax payer ... where does it ever end with the spending .. how does the UK afford to let every refugee in and put them in safe housing yet we cannot fund every essential service that every UK citizen deserves and yet people think refugees should come first what about the rest of the UK those that are struggling do they not deserve a roof over there heads
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,350
    HANSON said:

Haysie your slating everything the government do and your only solution is as far as BREXIT is reverse it thou i do agree on that but we are as i see it on the losing side on that one , as for Covid well what is your solution to a world wide pandemic and how to keep everyone and every business happy with this double whammy .. what's the solution giving them money ? that is not a solution some one has to pay ... and it will be the tax payer ... where does it ever end with the spending .. how does the UK afford to let every refugee in and put them in safe housing yet we cannot fund every essential service that every UK citizen deserves and yet people think refugees should come first what about the rest of the UK those that are struggling do they not deserve a roof over there heads

Always nice to have you back and firing..Willybumhunter! @HANSON
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,350
    HANSON said:

Will.. @HANSON

You already know my view on businesses getting grants at this time...🤪
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    HANSON said:

I have slated the government for stuff that I think they have got wrong, and posted articles that have been written by journalists that support my view.
    In many cases the u-turns are proof that the government also agree.
    The impossibility of reversing Brexit was clear long ago.
    We were on the losing side,
    However I find it ridiculous that they are criticising businesses for not updating themselves on the new trading arrangements with the EU, when nobody knows what they are, as they are still negotiating them.
    They surely cant be saying that there will be no difference to arrangements on 1st January, whether we get a deal or not.
    A little experiment by the French yesterday, merely asking for truckers passports resulted in a 5 mile tailback on the M20, within a couple of hours.
    You would hope that the government had considered a solution when they took up their negotiating position.
    The government will not be able to hide from their lies about Brexit for much longer.
    I dont believe in illegal immigration, but we should take our fair share of refugees.
    The reason why the illegal channel crossing take place is because any asylum applications have to be made on British soil.
    If this was changed and we accepted applications in France.
    We could drop all those crossing illegally back in France, and accept our fair share from the applications made in the proper manner at our French office.
    If we ruled that anyone crossing illegally would automatically be denied asylum forever, we would surely see very few illegal crossings.
    I dont think the government had the balls to cancel Christmas.
    The number of deaths this is likely to cause will probably come back to bite them at some point.
  • Options
    HANSON said:

Brexit was always going to be hard and there was always going to be cost to the GDP and some hardship for the UK taxpayer which was never in doubt now top it off with Covid and the associated spending which every country is having to deal with, the UK has a double whammy as for Brexit in the UK we have had roughly 4 years to get ready if you have not then tuff as for Covid no one was prepared for it and it shows from the response numbers of infected go down and its open for business numbers go up oh mistake but you can still carry on there is no easy fix anywhere or a endless pot of money to dip into some one has to pay in the end for there debt and it will be the tax payers

There are a number of whammys that the UK taxpayer will have to fund.

There is the Brexit one, in which the UK government could have chosen a path to lessen the damage, but dont seem to have done so.

Then there is the covid one, in this case they seem to have maximised the bill by throwing so much money away. I wont go through the full list, but £22billion on a useless test and trace, and £millions on useless PPE, etc etc.

Then there are the unavoidable job losses, where those that have lost their jobs will not be contributing in the forseeable.

Then there are the benefits that will be paid to the above.

This will result in a bigger bill split between fewer people, cutbacks, tax rises, and more austerity.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HANSON said:

There is the Brexit one, in which the UK government could have chosen a path to lessen the damage, but dont seem to have done so.

Then there is the covid one, in this case they seem to have maximised the bill by throwing so much money away. I wont go through the full list, but £22billion on a useless test and trace, and £millions on useless PPE, etc etc.

Then there are the unavoidable job losses, where those that have lost their jobs will not be contributing in the forseeable.

This will result in a bigger bill split between fewer people, cutbacks, tax rises, and more austerity.
    i am in total agreement with you ... Brexit on its own was always going to hard and with a cost to the UK tax payer in the short term what we do not no is how many years is considered short term, in a 100 years time 20 years could be considered short term not much good for us living in the here and now ... in the long term the UK may or may not be better off and TBH cannot see how any one can say for sure either way, one thing for sure the short term is not going to be good for anyone ...

As for Covid there has been a lot of waisted money as you say and its a disgrace that those in government cannot work together for good of the country i have to be honest all the MPs in parliament want to do is IMO is point score and im not sure any of them really no what to do about this situation ...

anyway i hope your well and staying safe i can be a **** sometimes but do not mean to be i get bored sometimes with these lock downs and as I've said to jezz and Danny i think I'm getting a little depressed so i apologise if i have at anytime been disrespectful ....
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    HANSON said:

HAYSIE said:

HANSON said:

i am in total agreement with you ... Brexit on its own was always going to hard and with a cost to the UK tax payer in the short term what we do not no is how many years is considered short term, in a 100 years time 20 years could be considered short term not much good for us living in the here and now ... in the long term the UK may or may not be better off and TBH cannot see how any one can say for sure either way, one thing for sure the short term is not going to be good for anyone ...

As for Covid there has been a lot of waisted money as you say and its a disgrace that those in government cannot work together for good of the country i have to be honest all the MPs in parliament want to do is IMO is point score and im not sure any of them really no what to do about this situation ...

anyway i hope your well and staying safe i can be a **** sometimes but do not mean to be i get bored sometimes with these lock downs and as I've said to jezz and Danny i think I'm getting a little depressed so i apologise if i have at anytime been disrespectful ....
    I am well thankyou, and no offence has been taken.
    Take it easy, and good luck on the tables.

• Options
    HANSON said:

HAYSIE said:

HANSON said:

• Options
    Cabinet split over tax rises to fill Covid black hole: Jacob Rees-Mogg warns Tories could lose election if they break manifesto pledge - despite Rishi Sunak insisting more money must be raised
    Jacob Rees-Mogg said it is 'very important to maintain manifesto commitments'
    The Commons Leader said breaking pledges has 'consequences' at ballot box
    He said no 'sensible party or government' should break commitments 'willy nilly'
    Comes after Rishi Sunak has repeatedly hinted at tax rises to pay for Covid crisis

The Commons Leader said it is 'very important to maintain manifesto commitments' and breaking them always results in 'consequences' at the ballot box.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9025835/Jacob-Rees-Mogg-warns-Rishi-Sunak-against-tax-rises.html