You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Back pain advice

SwogSwog Member Posts: 482
edited January 2021 in Poker Chat
I am just about to come back to the tables after a 2 month break due to some painful back problems. Thankfully, the back pains have gone since I took the break but want to do all I can to keep it that way, especially with me reintroducing poker evenings! Without going into too much detail, all blood tests etc have come back as expected (albeit doctor hasn't completely ruled out kidney stones that have now passed) but I think the pains are likely due to bad posture at a desk.

I am typically at a desk for my job 9-5 every weekday (circa 40 hours per week) and about 4/5 evenings per week playing poker (circa 25 hours per week). I am sure there are others on here who have similar/higher volume at a desk.

Going for a short 20-30 minute walk every day and losing a bit of weight will help but any other advice or recommendations for some good practices, routines, and accessories worth buying (e.g. footrests, support cushions, etc.) would be much appreciated.

My current setup is something like the below:

However, since this photo, I’ve been using a chair something like the following:

Comments

• EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,272
    I had a major back problem many years ago which resulted in 6 months off work and pretty much 3 months lying on the floor. I finally found a very good osteopath (after two rubbish ones) and he got me back to being fit enough to play sport again.

The key to staying fit is stretches, do you do any? If not you should do, they are probably the key to limiting back problems. There are loads you can do, especially if most of your day is spent sitting down.

If you have a good osteo/physio ask them for a list of suitable stretches and do them, it doesn't have to be every day but at least 2/3 times per week. If you combine those with getting stronger then hopefully you can avoid your back problems becoming more serious.
  • 5ausages5ausages Member Posts: 9
    ...you need to strength your abs and lower back ... and move around at least every hour.

If you're not that knowledgeable about fitness scene go and see a good sports physio for advice,
  • SwogSwog Member Posts: 482
    Thank you for the replies, really appreciated. Thank you @Enut in particular for sharing what sounds like quite a horrific 6 months. But glad to hear you have overcome it. I don’t do stretches but I will start doing a couple of times a week.

I haven’t asked for any professional advise as it isn’t something I’ve suffered with before and seems to have come and gone. I suppose if I can get in to some good habits it can only be a good thing to prevent anything more serious later.

I got into a really good strength programme at the early part of last year but the lockdowns and closure of gym didn’t help with routine. I suppose it’s no excuse and need to find alternative ways to keep fit and healthy in the meantime.

The owner of the gym I’m a member at is a highly regarded sports physio so certainly worth approaching at some point. To put it bluntly, I’m tight as cramp so will have to prepare myself to see the money leave my bank account first 🤣

• Jeni82Jeni82 Member Posts: 60
    Swog- I have a desk job too. Have/ had a weak core and my back pain started 8 years ago. Thought it could have been a slipped disc but an MRI proved it wasn’t. Did physio for a bit but what’s been most helpful for me has been yoga and swimming. I also drink a lot of water during the work day which forces me to get up and walk a bit. The spasm returns if I sit for 4-5 hours non stop. Also play poker on an ipad, which keeps me mobile but 95% of my games are single table because of this.
  • thislteduthisltedu Member Posts: 398
    Hi Swog,

Sorry to hear you’ve got back problems.

Great advice so far but just be aware that not all back problems are the same and any advice from the others or me are specific to our problems/experience and may not be appropriate to you. One thing that I do think will be universal though is the benefit of strengthening your core muscles.

I’m a dentist so spend most of my day sitting and often getting into awkward positions. Then sitting for hours playing poker in the evenings compounds the problem.

I suffered for a long time with back problems but got into Pilates. Having done lots of sports– athletics, football, rugby, squash, golf - I didn’t look on Pilates as real exercise so it took a bit of persuasion but it did the trick. I’ve now been pain free for about 10 years – at least until 7 weeks ago when I felt a spasm above my right hip that has gone on to be the worst problem I’ve ever had. Finally starting to settle but could well be a result of me not keeping up with the Pilates. Back pain had settled so I stopped doing it!! Won’t make that mistake again.

Other advice to move regularly is spot on. Suggest you use the 5 minute breaks to get up and walk about rather than just staying sitting and checking emails/facebook. I usually get up and make the boss a cup of tea. Helps the back and keeps me in the good books.
    Hope this helps.

Donald
    Thanks again for the replies, really useful but appreciate none of this is a substitute for specific professional advice via the correct channels.

There are certainly some universal points made that I can start implementing straight away though.

I’m usually quite good at leaving the desk on the 5 minute break but I could certainly do it more often.
  • cenachavcenachav Member Posts: 2,681
    Former DSE assessor and back pain sufferer here. There looks like there is a lumbar support strip on the chair. Make sure that's correctly aligned with your lumbar area. Don't sit too far away from the table so that you are stretching to reach the keyboard. The back of the chair is there to support your whole back. Leaning forward puts pressure on your back leading to pain. Footrests may be helpful, depending on how tall you are. If your feet aren't on the floor, consider getting one. Or just ask your partner to lay down there for you :)

The advise given by everyone else looks all good to me. It's just a case of finding out what works best for you. Best of luck
    Thanks @cenachav appreciated.

Back is holding up okay so far. I’ve been taking everyone’s advice on board so far and it seems to be working.
  • ajs4385ajs4385 Member Posts: 455
    Played nearly every night on Sky from 2009 to 2015. Which involved 8 tabling for 4 to 5 hours sat in same position without moving (didnt want to lose seat at table)

Bad idea I know, I have back issues still due to it. Mainly in form of tight knotting traps. Can get painful though and turn into headaches.

Massage helps, foam roller helps, yoga helps, good posture helps, but best thing is regular deadlifting. Works back and pretty much whole body.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,030

@ajs4385

Crikey, long time no hear bud.

How you keeping generally? Life good?
  • ajs4385ajs4385 Member Posts: 455
    Hi Tikay,

Yes cant complain, I retired from Poker when I turned 30 hated it by then pressing same 3 buttons every night (well mainly fold lol). Didnt do anything for a year, then got a job at a rival to Sky but quit after a month lol. No way I could ever be employed doing a 9 to 5. So I set my own business up. Currently shut though, so just a bit bored so looked on here.

How are you? I bet things have changed a lot here. Dont Stars own this now?

Nice to see you still involved with Sky. I do miss the TV channel one of best reasons to play on Sky.

Apologies for the thread derail

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,030
    ajs4385 said:

Hi Tikay,

Yes cant complain, I retired from Poker when I turned 30 hated it by then pressing same 3 buttons every night (well mainly fold lol). Didnt do anything for a year, then got a job at a rival to Sky but quit after a month lol. No way I could ever be employed doing a 9 to 5. So I set my own business up. Currently shut though, so just a bit bored so looked on here.

How are you? I bet things have changed a lot here. Dont Stars own this now?

Nice to see you still involved with Sky. I do miss the TV channel one of best reasons to play on Sky.

Apologies for the thread derail

@ajs4385

Pleased to hear you set up a business, but these must be tough times for you & so many other small businesses. Hope it survives intact.

The TV Channel? Yes, I miss it greatly, but it had probably passed it's sell-by-date, & I certainly had.

SB&G (of which Sky Poker is a part) was purchased by Stars a couple of years ago, yes, but barely was the ink on the deal dry before Flutter purchased the whole shabang. Flutter is the new brand name for what you & I knew as Paddy Power/Betfair. Big company now.