You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Fishing Problems.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,969
edited January 2021 in The Rail
Scottish seafood firms are 'days from collapse' due to Brexit border chaos - as langoustine fishing boss threatens to dump TONS of rotting stock outside Downing Street if crisis isn't resolved

Desperate bosses said they face imminent closure as they urged Boris Johnson to deliver on his pledge to finally support the struggling sector in Scotland.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9150705/Scottish-seafood-firms-days-collapse.html

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,155
    Shame they didn't get Independence really.

When I can buy Langoustine cheaper in a Spanish market than I can in England that just sums up the whole hypocrisy of the E U.
  • Options

When I can buy Langoustine cheaper in a Spanish market
    than I can in England that just sums up the whole hypocrisy of the E U.

Probably not any more.
  • Options

When I can buy Langoustine cheaper in a Spanish market than I can in England that just sums up the whole hypocrisy of the E U.

Scottish fishermen forced to sail to Denmark for their catch after Rees-Mogg's 'we’ve got our fish back' boast

Some disgruntled Scottish fishermen are sailing two days to Denmark for their catch in the aftermath of Brexit and Jacob Rees-Mogg’s claim that “we’ve got our fish back”.

Exports of fresh fish and seafood have been hit by delays following the end of the Brexit transition period on 31 December.

Industry group Scotland Food and Drink has said the delays are costing the country’s fishing industry £1m a day, due to fish no longer being fresh by the time it would reach European markets.

That has prompted some Scottish fishermen to make the 48-hour journey to Denmark for their catch.

Channel 4 News
    @Channel4News
    “They’re now British fish - and they’re better and happier fish for it.”

Leader of the House of Commons, Jacob Rees-Mogg, claims fish are “better and happier” in British waters after Brexit, following complaints from the SNP about a “Brexit fishing disaster”.

Bloomberg reported a Scottish boat with 15 tons of monkfish was expected to land about £27,000 more on Thursday than it would have done at home.

Jesper Kongsted, a fish auctioneer in Hanstholm, told Bloomberg of the deal: “Boris Johnson probably forgot to explain what leaving the EU would mean for fishermen’s ability to sell to the European market.”

However, he added he expects the number of Scottish trawlers to fall once solutions to the exporting delays are found in the UK.

Fishing was one of the key sticking points of the UK’s post-Brexit trade talks with the EU.

An agreement was eventually announced on Christmas Eve, and included UK boats getting a greater share of fish in UK waters. Both sides can apply for licences to fish in the other’s waters.

The issue of Scottish fishermen travelling to Denmark was also raised in the Scottish Parliament on Thursday.

SNP rural economy secretary Fergus Ewing said: “Fishing vessels are landing their catch in Denmark now to avoid the bureaucratic system.

“Prices have collapsed for the caught fish sector by 50% or more, trade deals have been lost and customers gone elsewhere.

“This is a truly dreadful situation.”

House of Commons leader Rees-Mogg said the government is “tackling” the exporting issues.

He said on Thursday: “What is happening is that the government is tackling this issue, dealing with it as quickly as possible, and the key thing is we’ve got our fish back.

“They’re now British fish and they’re better and happier fish for it.”

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/scottish-fisherman-sail-denmark-catch-143548244.html
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,145
    rees mogg is a ****
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,591
    HENDRIK62 said:

rees mogg is a ****

Of the highest order
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

rees mogg is a ****

He is.
  • Options
    tai-gar said:

HENDRIK62 said:

rees mogg is a ****

Of the highest order
    He has an exceptional ability for saying stupid things at the wrong time.